Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3869
View in linear mode

Subject: "Better focus with Exposure Delay ON" Previous topic | Next topic
waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Tue 28-Dec-10 01:10 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Better focus with Exposure Delay ON"
Tue 28-Dec-10 05:00 AM by waxart

Vallejo, US

I mentioned briefly in another post that, due to a hand disability, I couldn't achieve sharp focus handheld with VR on in the D7000. Since then I've turned on Exposure Delay which allows the mirror to go up before the shutter is released, thus preventing extra camera shake. Here are 2 images shot this way with the 18-105mm kit lens:

Settings: f5.6 @ 1/6s ISO100 105mm window light indoors

settings: f5.6 @ 1/25s ISO 560 66mm natural light in fairly dim room

Has anyone else experimented with this feature? I know that Live View does something similar, but I haven't found those shots nearly as sharp, possibly because I'm holding the camera away from my eye. Live View uses a different focusing system - the mirror is up all the time. In Exposure Delay the camera focuses, then the mirror goes up, and a second later the shutter operates. I'm assuming that this prevents vibration from the movement of the mirror from camera-shake?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Better focus with Exposure Delay ON
km6xz Moderator
28th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
29th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
28th Dec 2010
waxart
28th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
29th Dec 2010
rasworth
28th Dec 2010

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 28-Dec-10 06:53 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Better focus with Exposure Delay ON"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

As in your prior post about softness of images, your shutter speed was very low for hand holding. I am amazed how sharp these two images are at 1/6th and 1/25. Do you you have a reason for setting the shutter so low? I think I have pretty good holding technique but would have a hard time duplicating that portrait at 1/6th. A portrait that slow, even on a tripod would require luck to have motion blur that low.
The other point that strikes me is the excellent skin tones. Maybe I need to rearrange my priorities and upgrade my D90 after all.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 29-Dec-10 01:40 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Better focus with Exposure Delay ON"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

1. Agree 100% if there is a problem getting critical sharpness in these 2 photos it is because of inadequate shutter speed. 1/6 at 100mm is not even close. the old rule of thumb is 1/focal length, even with VR you should look at 1/60 - 1/80 minimum.

2. Stan, you wouldn't regret the upgrade - in fact having tried Thom Hogan suggested picture settings recently: Neutral with 0 to -1 contrast, the skin tones are even better (he has correctly pointed out that the d7000 appears to be quite contrasty in comparison with prior Nikons). I usually shot standard with +1 contrast, which produced great results in its own right. The d7000 seems to resolve skin tones particularly well.

Jason

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 28-Dec-10 08:29 AM
28331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Better focus with Exposure Delay ON"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I can't think of any way that using the Exposure Delay feature can affect actual focus accuracy.

If by "better focus", you mean "better sharpness", then Exposure Delay can be useful, particularly when using a tripod, because it helps to eliminate camera vibration caused by the mirror rising.

With hand-held shots, Exposure Delay won't make much difference to sharpness, as any mirror slap will probably be overshadowed by photographer-induced movement.

Having said all that, the shutter speeds in your two examples are still very slow. Shooting hand-held at 1/6th - even with VR on - is unlikely to lead to a high proportion of sharp shots. I would guess that any difference you are seeing in these shots is pure co-incidence.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Tue 28-Dec-10 03:15 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Better focus with Exposure Delay ON"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 28-Dec-10 03:18 PM by waxart

Vallejo, US

>I can't think of any way that using the Exposure Delay
>feature can affect actual focus accuracy.
>
>If by "better focus", you mean "better
>sharpness", then Exposure Delay can be useful,
>particularly when using a tripod, because it helps to
>eliminate camera vibration caused by the mirror rising.
>
>With hand-held shots, Exposure Delay won't make much
>difference to sharpness, as any mirror slap will probably be
>overshadowed by photographer-induced movement.
>
>Having said all that, the shutter speeds in your two examples
>are still very slow. Shooting hand-held at 1/6th - even with
>VR on - is unlikely to lead to a high proportion of sharp
>shots. I would guess that any difference you are seeing in
>these shots is pure co-incidence.

Yes, sorry, I do mean better sharpness. I should have made it clear that these are just 2 of about 200 shots or so I have made using Exposure Delay, the vast majority of which are sharper than those I made without it. Of course, I am bracing my body against a wall or placing my elbows on a table most of the time. Sometimes I attach the camera to a gorillapod, which I shape like a videocamera brace against my chest and hold with my left hand. Please bear in mind that I have a disability in my right hand (no use of middle finger and poor strength in my thumb), which might make this method work for me when it doesn't work for others! For me it has been a blessing.

I usually operate in Aperture Priority, so the slow shutter speeds are often the result of choice of aperture suited to the subject. I wanted a widish aperture for the portrait to throw the background out of focus. For shooting stock of detailed subjects in the middle distance or beyond, I find f9 and up works best. In the above examples I could have used my SB800 with a Gary Fong dome diffuser bounced off the ceiling, but I was testing my ability to handhold.

By the way, when shooting table-top set-ups closeup I would mostly use a much smaller aperture, so I would definitely be using a tripod, no VR, remote set on 2 sec delay. Seems to work almost every time. This camera is amazing for sharpness.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 29-Dec-10 12:18 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Better focus with Exposure Delay ON"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 29-Dec-10 12:32 PM by billD80

US

Please bear in mind that I have a
>disability in my right hand (no use of middle finger and poor
>strength in my thumb), which might make this method work for
>me when it doesn't work for others! For me it has been a
>blessing.
>

Have you considered using one of these? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37060-REG/Nikon_649_AH_4_Hand_Grip_Strap.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

OR
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Strap-Quick-Release-Plate/dp/B004BAOLT6/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1293629356&sr=1-11

I had one for an OM4T with motor drive, and it worked like a charm...

A much cheaper option for a similar solution would be: http://www.amazon.com/Strap-digital-camera-CANON-NIKON/dp/B002POJ1DG

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

rasworth Basic MemberTue 28-Dec-10 01:36 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Better focus with Exposure Delay ON"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

It appears that you have difficulty separately half-pressing for VR activation and full-press for shutter release. I reviewed your other post, but couldn't verify. If my assumption is correct, using delayed exposure works for you because it guarantees time for VR to stabilize.

Richard Southworth

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3869 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.