Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3835
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto ISO Question" Previous topic | Next topic
b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sun 26-Dec-10 03:27 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Auto ISO Question"

Winter Garden, US

If you set Auto ISO sensitivity control to On does this only work when you have selected P or A on the set up dial? If you select Auto on the dial, does the camera then ignore your Auto ISO controls?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Auto ISO Question
briantilley Moderator
26th Dec 2010
beemerman2k Silver Member
26th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Dec 2010
beemerman2k Silver Member
27th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
27th Dec 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 26-Dec-10 03:33 PM
28329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Auto ISO Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

With AUTO set on the dial, Auto ISO is always on.

In the scene modes, Auto ISO is on by default but you can switch it off in the menus.

In P, S, A and M modes Auto ISO is off by default, but you can turn it on in the menus.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sun 26-Dec-10 05:11 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Auto ISO Question"
In response to Reply # 1

Ellington, US

I never used auto-ISO with my D70s; I aways set my ISO to the lowest value I could live with and then relied on a wide open aperture and a slowish shutter speed when taking indoor, night photos at home.

With this D7000, I discovered I can use Auto-ISO freely and without reservation! So I put the camera in Manual mode, set shutter speed to 1/50 sec, aperture to F4 (Tamron 17-50 F2.8), and let the camera do its thing. Sweet!

I did botch some of the shots by mishandling the focus point. I like to set a single focus point and set the focus mode to focus priority. Well, I neglected to lock the focus point and as the day went on I inadvertently moved that point. As I surveyed my pictures I was disappointed at the lack of sharpness in the pictures, then it dawned on me to check where that focus point was. Doh!

OK, nobody flame me for this, but I did wonder if this kind of thing might have happened in some instances where the camera was blamed for a lack of good focus. I only say this because my camera is tack sharp when focused properly. Tack sharp!

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 27-Dec-10 03:38 AM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Auto ISO Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

I have used Auto ISO for a long time now.
What I had not noticed before the D7000
is that the speed will go below your minimum when the ISO maxes out.
Another thing is that you have to set the minimum ISO at the top.

I learned about the lock on the spot selector the hard way too.

What I am tempted to do is put a self taping screw thru the mode dial because it is out of adjustment after taking it out of the bag so often.
All you have to do is brush it against your self to spin that dial.
I had the same problem with the D90 and the 5D2.
The D3 has a lock button just for this.
The one on the D7000 only locks the outer ring.

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Mon 27-Dec-10 04:00 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Auto ISO Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Ellington, US

>What I am tempted to do is put a self taping screw thru the
>mode dial because it is out of adjustment after taking it out
>of the bag so often.
>All you have to do is brush it against your self to spin that
>dial.

To me, this is the #1 problem with this camera. If I could wave a magic wand and fix 2 things, it would be this and the small buffer that impedes rapid fire shooting in all but jpg small mode. I can even live with the Matrix metering tendencies in that at least its consistent.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 27-Dec-10 06:55 AM
28329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Auto ISO Question"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 27-Dec-10 06:56 AM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

>What I had not noticed before the D7000 is that the speed will
>go below your minimum when the ISO maxes out.

It's the same on your D3. The alternative would be an underexposed image.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3835 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.