Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3822
View in linear mode

Subject: "Top viewfinder remains on?" Previous topic | Next topic
b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sat 25-Dec-10 09:36 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Top viewfinder remains on?"

Winter Garden, US

When the camera is off I noticed on the top display it shows the number of photos remaining and the SD card (1) you are using. This never goes off. Why does this stay on. Doesn't this run down the battery and what would this stay on when you are not using the camera?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Top viewfinder remains on?
rodsky77
25th Dec 2010
b1234s
25th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
26th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
26th Dec 2010
rodsky77
27th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
27th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Dec 2010
DeanAZ Moderator
27th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
28th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
28th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
28th Dec 2010

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008Sat 25-Dec-10 10:04 PM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

All Nikon cameras do that.
It's useful because It allows you to see whether you have a card in the camera and how many shots you have left on it.
It barely drains any battery.

Cheers,
Kevin

New Jersey Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sat 25-Dec-10 10:50 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 1

Winter Garden, US

>All Nikon cameras do that.
>It's useful because It allows you to see whether you have a
>card in the camera and how many shots you have left on it.
>It barely drains any battery.
>
>Cheers,
>Kevin
>
Thanks for the info. This is my first Nikon. I have had several Canon's but I just made the switch.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 26-Dec-10 01:21 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

He came out of the darkness when he saw the light.

Welcome to Nikonians

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 26-Dec-10 02:42 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 2

Joanna, US

Two great moves - Nikonians and Nikon. Welcome to the community.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008Mon 27-Dec-10 09:32 AM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>>All Nikon cameras do that.
>>It's useful because It allows you to see whether you have
>a
>>card in the camera and how many shots you have left on
>it.
>>It barely drains any battery.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Kevin
>>
>Thanks for the info. This is my first Nikon. I have had
>several Canon's but I just made the switch.
>
>

Welcome to Nikonians and to the world of Nikon
Which Canons did you have?

New Jersey Nikonian

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 27-Dec-10 02:16 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The top control panel is on when an EN-EL3e battery is inserted and has a charge. Nikon shows the estimated remaining image count. This provides two important pieces of information. First the can era has an EN-EL3e battery inserted and it has some charge, your camera;s date and time should be OK. Next there is a media card in your camera. Yes, it is possible to record images without a media card in the camera and you will not be able to get them off of the camera. This is known as the 'Demo' mode. You have an option to lock the shutter when a media card is not present.

Having this display allows one to quickly pickup the camera and know if the camera is ready to shoot.

If you remove the EN-EL3e battery, a small internal battery will keep the camera's clock chip going, but this battery will only last about a month. It will take about 24 hours for this internal battery to recharge when an EN-EL3e is inserted.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 27-Dec-10 02:53 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

reply to #6
This may be true for the D3.

On my D7000 only the shots remaining plus to symbols so small I cannot read them show when the EN-EL15 is inserted.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Mon 27-Dec-10 03:02 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

Correct, only the shots plus the presence of one or both memory cards are displayed.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 28-Dec-10 01:19 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 8

Chicago, US

When the camera is off, remove the EN-EL3e and the display goes blank.

The display only shows the remaining image count when the En-EL3e battery is in the camera.

No display either a dead battery, no battery, or a seriaous power problem.

We will deal with the camera clock later.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 28-Dec-10 12:48 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>Doesn't
>this run down the battery and what would this stay on when you
>are not using the camera?

It uses very little power. Try leaving your camera on all of the time. You will see that it still uses very little power. Moreover, when it is off, it really is still on in many of the parts inside.

Peter

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 28-Dec-10 01:04 AM
#10. "RE: Top viewfinder remains on?"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 28-Dec-10 01:40 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

It seems there is very little difference in battery level between the backup and in camera battery after one or two week.

In other words. They run down just as fast on the shelf

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3822 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.