Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3808
View in linear mode

Subject: "MB-D11 Problem?" Previous topic | Next topic
RickMz Registered since 13th Oct 2006Sat 25-Dec-10 12:16 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"MB-D11 Problem?"
Sat 25-Dec-10 12:22 AM by RickMz

Navarre, US

Just got mine for Christmas and all seems to work except, the shutter button fails to focus and shoots inconsistently. I understand the lock ring around the shutter button .

When pressed, it will deploy the built-in flash (as needed) and activates the LCD data. However, in the lower left hand side of the LCD (or the bottom when in portrait) I get a flashing arrow (either left/down or right/up). It will shoot every few presses.

I assume there is something wrong with it so it will go back to Adorama on Monday unless one of you can tell me the problem is the user .

Anybody can explain the flashing arrows? Are they to assist on manual focusing? If so, the grip is not activating the AF on my Nikon 35mm 1.8 or my Tammy 60mm (they work fine otherwise). Yes, the AF/M switch is set to AF.

Thanks for your help,
Rick

Rick Montanez
D700, D7000/SB-700 and D-80/SB-800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: MB-D11 Problem?
briantilley Moderator
25th Dec 2010
RickMz
25th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
25th Dec 2010
RickMz
25th Dec 2010
agitater Gold Member
27th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
27th Dec 2010
me_two Silver Member
27th Dec 2010
RickMz
28th Dec 2010
RickMz
28th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
28th Dec 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 25-Dec-10 08:03 AM
28329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

This might be just bad electrical contact between the grip and the camera. I'd try carefully cleaning the contact pins on both with a microfibre cloth before taking any more drastic action.

The two arrows are there to help with manual focus, yes.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RickMz Registered since 13th Oct 2006Sat 25-Dec-10 04:03 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 1

Navarre, US

>This might be just bad electrical contact between the grip
>and the camera. I'd try carefully cleaning the contact pins
>on both with a microfibre cloth before taking any more drastic
>action.
>
Brian:
Thanks for the advice. I gave it shot (had to use compressed air to clean since both sets of contacts are closely "protected" by hard (grip) plastic and (camera) metal, no joy. It continues to work IF the camera is in focus but will not focus when using grip.

Rick

Rick Montanez

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 25-Dec-10 04:08 PM
28329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

Well, it was worth a try!

Is there a way you could try the grip on another camera (D700, D300 or D300s), perhaps via a colleague or local store?

Otherwise, your grip will probably need to be returned/exchanged.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RickMz Registered since 13th Oct 2006Sat 25-Dec-10 04:33 PM
#4. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 3

Navarre, US

>Well, it was worth a try!
>
>Is there a way you could try the grip on another camera (D700,
>D300 or D300s), perhaps via a colleague or local store?
>
I'll have to wait until Monday due to holidays but I can go to my local store then. I can't ship until then anyway . I am hoping that, if there's a problem, it IS with the grip and not the camera!

Rick Montanez

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 27-Dec-10 03:13 AM
3863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

It doesn't fit any other Nikon body Brian. New battery form factor and new grip form factor for the D7000. That said, the new mag-frame grip is working extremely well for me, and the new battery - EN-EL15 - seems to go and go and go and go. The D7000 just sips power.

The only issue with the new grip is that it requires a bit of muscle to tighten onto the bottom plate. The OP should ensure the grip is actually firmly screwed in place so that all electrical contacts are fully mated.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 27-Dec-10 06:58 AM
#6. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

Oops - sorry!

As a Mod in both D7000 and D700 Forums, I guess I thought I was in the other one

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

me_two Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2004Mon 27-Dec-10 08:54 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 6

Brisbane, AU

Hi Rick

Just had a go with my setup now problem with the MB-D11
Love the 7000 with the grip.

Cheers
Mark

RickMz Registered since 13th Oct 2006Tue 28-Dec-10 01:41 PM
#8. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 3

Navarre, US

>
>Otherwise, your grip will probably need to be
>returned/exchanged.

Well, finally got a chance to try with another grip....same problem. So, I tried what I hoped wouldn't work, I tried my grip on another body and..... wouldn't you know it it is my body that is bad! Tried another grip on my camera (even changed lenses) with same results, no focus but shutter actuates from the grip IF the shot is focused.

Heading to Best Buy this morning to get the body exchanged (assuming they have some).

Rick Montanez

RickMz Registered since 13th Oct 2006Tue 28-Dec-10 10:43 PM
#9. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 28-Dec-10 10:44 PM by RickMz

Navarre, US

Good news! Best Buy was MORE THAN accommodating in exchanging my body for a new one. Had to wait about 20 minutes (long line) but Keona (who BTW is a fellow Nikon (D90) shooter )was very friendly and helpful. The exchange took about 10 minutes including my time to test the new body/MB-D11 combo. Score one for the megachains!

Rick Montanez

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 28-Dec-10 11:10 PM
#10. "RE: MB-D11 Problem?"
In response to Reply # 9

Paignton, GB

I'm glad everything is now OK, Rick

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3808 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.