Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3782
View in linear mode

Subject: "BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone" Previous topic | Next topic
vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Fri 24-Dec-10 12:27 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"

London, GB

Just ordered one of these gizmos:

http://blueslr.worldsecuresystems.com/accessory/blueslr-advanced

Doesn't only embed your iPhone's GPS data into EXIF, but also allows you to control your camera remotely, from your iPhone.

If it works as promised, I'll be a happy camper! It'll be great for when taking the camera with me on holidays. Can't wait to start using my camera properly, instead of taking hundreds of test shots.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everybody, here's to an exciting 2011, and many fabulous photos!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone
TakeTwo Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
TakeTwo Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
vladman
26th Dec 2010
ChrisPlatt Silver Member
08th Jun 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
24th Dec 2010
ramii
28th Dec 2010
vladman
28th Dec 2010
mudman2 Silver Member
19th Jan 2011
siemwell
21st Mar 2011
vladman
16th May 2011
mudman2 Silver Member
16th May 2011
vladman
17th May 2011
mudman2 Silver Member
17th May 2011
wellsiem
05th Jun 2011
mudman2 Silver Member
08th Jun 2011
mudman2 Silver Member
20th Jun 2011

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 24-Dec-10 04:03 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 0

South Lake Tahoe, US

Wow that sounds like a winner to me. I do see one problem though. If your looking for an accurate GPS location of where you took the image and you are shooting with the i-phone remotely at say the max 300 ft. Would the camera not save the info from the iPhone's location and not the cameras? It could be misleading. I think most GPS modules are fixed to the camera. But for the remote I like it. I wonder if you can see live view through the iPhone screen. Merry Christmas Eve

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 24-Dec-10 04:27 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 1

South Lake Tahoe, US

I did some research and found this. To the live view question, No or not yet anyway.

http://usd.blueslr.com/ForumRetrieve.aspx?ForumID=909&TopicID=1538&NoTemplate=False

vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Sun 26-Dec-10 02:38 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 1

London, GB

>Wow that sounds like a winner to me. I do see one problem
>though. If your looking for an accurate GPS location of where
>you took the image and you are shooting with the i-phone
>remotely at say the max 300 ft. Would the camera not save the
>info from the iPhone's location and not the cameras? It could
>be misleading.

I'm sure you're right, and I did think about that, but decided that most of the times, I'll have my iPhone in my pocket and the camera in my hands, and just use the dongle to embed the GPS location (the primary reason I bought it). The remote operation abilities are a great add-on bonus, and I'm sure I'll use them, but again, probably not that often, and I doubt I'll ever try and use it at its maximum advertised working distance.

ChrisPlatt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2011Wed 08-Jun-11 06:29 PM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Wow that sounds like a winner to me. I do see one problem
>though. If your looking for an accurate GPS location of where
>you took the image and you are shooting with the i-phone
>remotely at say the max 300 ft. Would the camera not save the
>info from the iPhone's location and not the cameras? It could
>be misleading. I think most GPS modules are fixed to the
>camera. But for the remote I like it. I wonder if you can see
>live view through the iPhone screen. Merry Christmas Eve

I don't view this as much of a problem. The iPhone integrates three positioning technologies: Assisted GPS, WiFI, and Cellular Positioning. Assisted GPS is the most accurate, but has been tested to a median error of 8m - almost 30 ft, but depending on where you are, the accuracy can be much worse. Median errors for WiFi positioning can be 74 meters, and cellular positioning can be off by 600m. Standing in a spot for awhile may improve the accuracy, but I strain the patience of my "photographers assistant" enough without telling her to "Hang on, I need some more time-to-first-fix.."

You can count on your cell phone to place you in the ball park, but not in your seat.

Visit my gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 24-Dec-10 11:27 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Wow that looks great. It's going on my "things to buy list"

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ramii Registered since 22nd Nov 2006Tue 28-Dec-10 11:46 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Please note that they found out that these fit upside down on the D7000. Their cust service is great & are working on a fix. If you ordered, you have the option of getting it now & using it (hanging off the camera) and they will ship another one once they have a fix, or getting a refund. see below for content of the email they sent.

-----------

You are receiving this email from blueSLR because you purchased a blueSLR accessory for Nikon Advanced cameras (Nikon D90, Nikon D7000)

We have discovered a manufacturing defect that affects the Nikon D7000 only. The Nikon D90 accessory is not affected.

Manufacturing Defect

Customers that have received their orders have identified a defect in the design of the blueSLR accessory. Many of the Nikon D7000 cameras have their GPS/Data port reversed from the way it was positioned during our design. This means that the blueSLR accessory does not fit seamlessly onto the camera. With the port being reversed, the accessory hangs off the bottom of the camera as opposed to hugging the body.

Here is a picture sent to us by one of our customers:

Photo credit: E.Lansaw

What have we done?

We temporarily removed the D7000 from our list of supported cameras.

This has lead to some questions from customers that have placed orders but not yet received them. This email is us being proactive to all other customers to let them know we have a problem, and to offer two choices.

Your options.

If you would like to cancel your order because of this defect we completely understand. It was not what we portrayed the accessory to look like on your camera, and we take responsibility for that. To cancel your order, please reply to this email (or email info@blueSLR.com) with your Invoice number (sent immediately after your order was placed) stating you would like to cancel your order. We will promptly refund any and all monies already collected and then cancel your order.

Alternately, if you'd like to hang on to your order and accept the accessory as it is, we will fulfill your order as expected. Additionally, when we work out the defect, we will ship you another accessory that will function as we both expected it to - hug the body of the camera vertically, as opposed to hanging below the body. We will also send a postage paid box to return the original defective accessory back to us. So, you get to use your accessory while we fix the defect, and then you get a new accessory to replace the existing one.

Summary

We found a defect in the accessory for the Nikon D7000. We don't like the way it looks, and neither do some of our customers.

The Nikon D90 is not affected.

We are offering you the ability to cancel your order, or let us fulfill the order and then ship you a replacement part when we have resolved the issue.

Your choice. We want you to be satisfied. If you are not satisfied, we are not satisfied. It's as simple as that.

Thank you for your support during this trying time.

Derick, on behalf of the blueSLR Team.

vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Tue 28-Dec-10 05:34 PM
#6. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 5

London, GB

Yes, I received that earlier today too.

I emailed them asking about the estimated time it will take to have the modified version produced, tested and ready for shipping. They replied and said it will probably take several months.

Not sure if I want to receive the upside-down one... Probably could live with it, but worried about damage to it or camera if it's hanging off like that.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 19-Jan-11 06:01 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 6

Jamison, US

>Yes, I received that earlier today too.
>
>I emailed them asking about the estimated time it will take to
>have the modified version produced, tested and ready for
>shipping. They replied and said it will probably take several
>months.
>
>Not sure if I want to receive the upside-down one... Probably
>could live with it, but worried about damage to it or camera
>if it's hanging off like that.

I got mine today, it works fine but I am sure will be broken in no time flat, several months is a long time to wait tho. Hmmm

siemwell Registered since 18th Mar 2011Mon 21-Mar-11 03:07 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 7

HK

That is really great. And cute design. What is the link range of the Dongle? 10 meters? Since I know that is normal link range for a bluetooth. But a pity only for Iphone and ipad.

Another choice is http://www.e-geotag.com/product.aspx Also a bluetooth choice. Just a simple bluetooth solution.

vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Mon 16-May-11 10:57 AM
#9. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 8

London, GB

Has anyone heard from BlueSLR and/or received their updated dongle?

I emailed them several times in the last month or so and all my emails went unanswered. I used both an email address that I used before, and another new one I found on their website.

The last communication I had from them was in back in February when they said they're hoping to have the redesigned device ready in 2-4 weeks, and after than, nothing.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 16-May-11 12:34 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 9

Jamison, US

I heard from them a few weeks ago, since I have been awaiting a replacement to the one I got from them, they say the change is much more major than at first thought, problem with Chinese manufacturer etc so I have returned mine for a refund.

No time soon is the answer I think.

Mike

vladman Registered since 25th Jun 2009Tue 17-May-11 11:12 AM
#11. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 10

London, GB

Thanks, I've also requested a refund. Still haven't heard back from them.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 17-May-11 03:37 PM
#12. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 11

Jamison, US

>Thanks, I've also requested a refund. Still haven't heard
>back from them.

They told me I would get an Amazon credit, but nothing received yet

wellsiem Registered since 02nd Jun 2011Sun 05-Jun-11 07:09 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 12

HK

cool product. anyone can help me with how does it work? Do I need to install anything to make them work together?

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Wed 08-Jun-11 12:33 PM
#14. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 13

Jamison, US

It does work on other cameras just not on the D7000. The systems works but the connector on the 7K is upside down with respect to other models so the dongle hangs off the bottom of the camera.

It works but I am pretty sure it will be broken in 5 minutes.

I have returned for a refund, and as yet it has not been recieved so I am a bit dubious about these guys right now

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 20-Jun-11 01:31 PM
#16. "RE: BlueSLR GPS dongle for D7000 - works with iPhone"
In response to Reply # 14

Jamison, US

Just an FYI I received my refund from them. Now awaiting a real 7K solution

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3782 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.