Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3778
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nighttime Force Shot?" Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyBiker Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2010Fri 24-Dec-10 12:33 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nighttime Force Shot?"

Valparaiso, US

Last night I went out in pitch blackness with an ancient Nikkor 50mm F1.4 mounted on my D50. I set everything to manual, fired a test with the SB600, and adjusted the aperture until it was 'pretty good' exposure. I picked the hyperfocal distance according to the resulting f-stop. Life is good while gleefully shooting my grandson sledding down the hill.

Tonight, the battery for my new D7k finished charging just 30 minutes ago. I've spent the last half hour trying to force the same shot with the kit lens and SB600. It just refuses to fire.

I've looked at the manual, but can't find any way to FORCE it to make an exposure, any exposure at all, even if it is wrong....
What am I missing?

Note, the D7k/SB600 exposes wonderfully when given just a moderate amout of ambient illumination to focus and 'figure out' the rest of the exposure. Absolutely perfect test shots to prove it works.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nighttime Force Shot?
blw Moderator
24th Dec 2010
MEMcD Moderator
24th Dec 2010
wordwizrd
24th Dec 2010
MikeyBiker Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
MikeyBiker Silver Member
25th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
25th Dec 2010
rbeamer Silver Member
25th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
26th Dec 2010

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 24-Dec-10 02:12 AM
26539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Set it in manual focus mode - almost certainly it cannot detect AF lock, so it doesn't release the shutter.

You may also want to shoot in manual exposure mode, as you had to with the D50 - as your "ancient" 50/f1.4 is probably a manual focus version.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 24-Dec-10 05:43 AM
25549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mike,

Do you have your MF 50mm f/1.4 entered into the cameras non-CPU lens data in the camera menu? See page 159 and 160 in the Nikon D7000 Users Manual .
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

wordwizrd Registered since 24th Nov 2010Fri 24-Dec-10 12:23 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

i haven't had this experience with the d7000, but i have had it with other nikon DSLRs. when things get really dark, it seems the camera cannot find enough contrast to get a focus lock on a moving target. this used to happen to me when shooting a night ski jumping event at the lake placid olympic venue. the solution was to set everything manual ... focus and exposure. i would select the spot where i hoped to catch the skier going by over me and manually focus the lens for that spot. i'd also do test frames until i had the lighting down. then, when i could hear the skier coming down the ramp (couldn't see him in the dark), i'd point the camera to the selected spot and just hold down the shutter release until the skier had gone past. this normally produced usable frames. like you, i was using an older-tech lens ... my 85mm f1.4. since this involved multiple frames shot rapidly, i did not use the flash

MikeyBiker Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2010Fri 24-Dec-10 01:14 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Valparaiso, US

Thanks! Oh... You mean I'm supposed to take that user manual out of the cellophane wrap? Seriously, I spent most of the battery charging time lacing up the neck strap. Getting a little old here and the snow is knee deep in the back yard. Wouldn't want to drop the outfit.
I will try both approaches. Yes, the ancient 50mm is a 1960's total manual, came with my first FTn.
I will need to research mounting it and the rest of the old glass AFTER I retire my concern about damage to the D7k. I've been warned that there may be a mechanical conflict and would not want to tear up a good body.
BTW ~ this morning there were three deer out on the ice by the dock, and the SB600 reached out quite well over the 55-300mm VRII.
I appreciate all your advice.
Merry Christmas to all!
mike

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 24-Dec-10 01:46 PM
3134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 24-Dec-10 01:47 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Can we see your "red eyed" deer?

I went out in the dark last night and took some shots of our Christmas in the Country Pageant with my 35mm f/1.8 DX.

I had mixed result with onboard flash and using none on my D7000.
I could barely see thru the viewfinder so I started using the LCD in LiveView.
This made things worst until I turned up the EV.
I then found out in review, that each step + introduced more noise.
I turn it back close to 0 and got an acceptable Video of a skit and some singing.
Of course I did not have an external mic handy so part of the singing was ruined by my voice.

MikeyBiker Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2010Sat 25-Dec-10 11:21 AM
#6. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 5

Valparaiso, US

RRRoger ~ I hesitate to do this... Not my best work.
But anyone who connects EV, noise and singing can't be all bad.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 25-Dec-10 12:57 PM
3134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

And I thought Rudolph"s nose was bright!

I bet these deer can see in the dark.

Thanks

rbeamer Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Sat 25-Dec-10 10:49 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 0

beaverton, US

same problem a simple workaround is to use a small flashlight on
the subject to help the camera figure things out. I use a little
led flashlight to shine enough light for the brains of the camera to
figure things out and the camera will shoot and with the flash illumination it dosn't show

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 26-Dec-10 12:57 PM
4167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nighttime Force Shot?"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 26-Dec-10 01:05 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

>same problem a simple workaround is to use a small flashlight
>on
>the subject to help the camera figure things out. I use a
>little
>led flashlight to shine enough light for the brains of the
>camera to
>figure things out and the camera will shoot and with the flash
>illumination it doesn't show

Interesting tip, I'm going to order some LED flashlights - Thanks!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3778 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.