Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3754
View in linear mode

Subject: "Metering in Live View?" Previous topic | Next topic
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Fri 24-Dec-10 12:34 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Metering in Live View?"

Phoenix, US

I know live view has some limitations but I guess that I'm missing something. I don't see how it would be practical at all to use M mode in live view without any exposure feedback. Am I missing how to accomplish this?

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Metering in Live View?
Chris Ross Leong
24th Dec 2010
ricphoto
24th Dec 2010
Vlad_IT Silver Member
29th Feb 2012
RSmith70 Silver Member
15th Sep 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
16th Sep 2012
jwillisbarrie
11th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
16th Sep 2012
txstone12 Gold Member
20th Sep 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
20th Sep 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
21st Sep 2012
txstone12 Gold Member
23rd Sep 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
24th Sep 2012
txstone12 Gold Member
23rd Sep 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
24th Sep 2012

Chris Ross Leong Registered since 18th Nov 2010Fri 24-Dec-10 04:06 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sherman Oaks, US

Manual lenses
Exposure meter
Camera Asistant

Merry XMas!
Cheers
Chris

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Fri 24-Dec-10 05:50 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, US

what exactly do you mean by no exposure feedback? You get a good visual representation of your exposure while in LV and the only thing you're missing is the ability to change f-Stops with D or G lenses...ISO and shutterspeed are still variable.

Chris is right and the "old school" and preferred way to shoot these cams is with manual lenses so you retain full control...

I overcome the f-stop hurdle when using my newer glass by pre-setting the camera to my hand held incident or spot metering, set the frame rate driven shutter speed and then f-stop is set to my desired depth of field..all before entering into live view...adjustments from there are with a Genustech fader ND filter that gives me about 8 stops of latitude...

btw: Camera assistants are more commonly referred to as "Sherpas" where I come from...

;-p

...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Wed 29-Feb-12 02:21 AM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Also i found out today that in LV and Manual mode shutter speed cannot be set slower than 1/30s

Best regards,
Vlad

RSmith70 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2012Sat 15-Sep-12 11:53 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington, US

So there is no way to get the exposure meter to show on the LCD while in Live View?

I found myself needing to use Live View and Manual Mode today as well.
In my situation, I had the camera mounted on a tripod above my head and the camera was angled downward so it was a little difficult to see the image in the LCD. When I turned the LCD off and hit "info" the exposure meter was easy to see, but having to go back and forth was a little annoying.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 16-Sep-12 12:08 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 16-Sep-12 12:08 AM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

I think you need to just live with "annoying" as that is the only way it can be done. Live view does not work well for long exposure type work but it is great for nailing your focus point.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

jwillisbarrie Registered since 09th Mar 2013Sat 11-May-13 03:54 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

I was at photo weekend with Andrew Collett. He suggested using live view to help focus and I had same problem. Solved go to shooting menu > movie settings > manual movie settings > off.
If turned on it will not work.
Jim

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 16-Sep-12 11:36 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I normally do not use a light meter outside of my home studio so use LV by metering in VF mode and setting all exposure controls as needed then switch to LV for focusing on the MF. I recently got a brand new "old" lens,(did not know Nikon still made them) 50 1.2 and it is a joy to use in LV wide open on the D7000. It is easier to focus on the D800 however because of the larger VF.
In your case where the display is overhead, I am not sure LV is that useful to you unless you can arrange some sort of tethering setup.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

txstone12 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Thu 20-Sep-12 03:21 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 0

Texas, US

My impression is our D7K LV capabilities are getting a bad rap here.

Remember, you can cycle through Info displays in LV on the LCD, including a grid and horizon display by pressing the Info button.

You can also display Exposure Compensation on the LCD by pressing the +/_ button in LV. Then you can change EC values by rotating the Main dial and obtain LV feedback.

Viewing the LCD outside may be difficult. If you really need to use LV in sunlight, there are hoods available to shield the screen. I have no experience with them.

1/30 appears to be the default value for Minimum Shutter Speed when setting Auto-ISO. You can select other Min SS values.

Using LV with M requires more explanation. How manual is manual? I'm not sure of all the the situations we're talking about here. Manual Mode, Manual with the camera focus mode selector, Manual non-CPU lenses, changing a G-series lens switch to manual, ...? I'm still looking into the implications of the D7K User Manual, pg108 note - in Mode M, EC only affects the exposure indicator ... - wrt LV.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug Gallery.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 20-Sep-12 11:04 PM
#8. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

Thanks for your input on this topic but I wanted to clear a few things up in your reply...

>My impression is our D7K LV capabilities are getting a bad
>rap here.
Not really. Just pointing out the way things works is not an example of being overly critical where it is otherwise unwarranted.

>Remember, you can cycle through Info displays in LV on the
>LCD, including a grid and horizon display by pressing the Info
>button.
>
Correct, but none of the information displayed when you cycle through the Info displays gives you a meter. That was the main point of this thread from over 1 1/2 years ago.

>You can also display Exposure Compensation on the LCD by
>pressing the +/_ button in LV. Then you can change EC values
>by rotating the Main dial and obtain LV feedback.
>
Changing the EC in manual mode whether LV of VF only changes the way the meter responds. There is no meter in LV.

>Viewing the LCD outside may be difficult. If you really need
>to use LV in sunlight, there are hoods available to shield the
>screen. I have no experience with them.
>
In LV M-mode the displayed brightness on the LCD has no correlation at all to the exposure values you are selecting. Shutter speed, aperture, ISO do not change the way the image appears on the LCD in LV M-mode.

>Using LV with M requires more explanation.
Turn the dial to M

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 21-Sep-12 03:40 AM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

This thread prompted me to check something on my D4 and I find it quite odd...
I was aware that in Video Live-View mode pressing the Info button repeatedly cycles through some very handy features such as Mic levels. Right after the Grid and prior to the Horizon-levelling display is a Histogram display. I rely on this histogram display to set my exposure when shooting video in manual mode, it is one of THE best features of the D4. I can also change Shutter Speed and Aperture and ISO all while filming and it changes the settings in use right while I film and the recorded video darkens or brightens accordingly (can't remember if my D7K does this).

Since I don't use LiveView for stills yet but am interested in exploring this in future, I was curious to try this topic out as the OP is making a sensible request AFAIK. But in LiveView Stills mode, when I cycle through the D4 Info button settings, there is NO HISTOGRAM! Hard to imagine why I can't get histogram in stills but I can in video. Definitely some strange stuff goes on when doing LiveView...

Here's another random LiveView "feature" - I have depth of field set to Power Aperture Close and Function set to Power Aperture Open on the D4. But they don't function during filming whereas my command dial does change aperture during filming and the resultant recorded video gets darker or brighter. Why would I want to use Power Aperture but only NOT during filming?
(sorry I realize I am in the wrong forum, but it is pertinent to the broader LiveView topic here).

OK, one more and it appears to be a good thing. If I am in bracketing and live view stills mode, the mirror drops once, the shutter fires the entire bracketing burst, and then the mirror lifts to return me to LiveView mode. I think this is decently sensible. Here'a a quirk, If I add 3 second shutter release delay into the mix, the first of the bracketing burst is delayed 3 seconds presumably allowing the mirror vibration to dampen, but then the darn thing delays shot 2 and 3 of the burst also by 3 seconds. Hmmm those latter 2 delays aren't necessary and are a detriment...

I guess I should move over to the D4 forum but unaccountably, if I want to shoot a bracketing burst not through liveView the mirror still feels it neceaary to flap away once per shot even though it is detrimental (at least theoretically) when I do handheld HDR.

OK, I'm done

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

txstone12 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Sun 23-Sep-12 12:20 AM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 9

Texas, US

>This thread prompted me to check something on my D4 and I
>find it quite odd...

>Since I don't use LiveView for stills yet but am interested in
>exploring this in future, I was curious to try this topic out
>as the OP is making a sensible request AFAIK. But in LiveView
>Stills mode, when I cycle through the D4 Info button settings,
>there is NO HISTOGRAM! Hard to imagine why I can't get
>histogram in stills but I can in video. Definitely some
>strange stuff goes on when doing LiveView...
>
>
Steve, your D4 **must** have a live histogram in LV for stills because the D800 has one. Does it require pressing the OK button as you cycle through displays with the INFO button like the 800 does?

David

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 24-Sep-12 04:09 AM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 11

Alberta, CA

>>This thread prompted me to check something on my D4 and
>I
>>find it quite odd...
>
>>Since I don't use LiveView for stills yet but am
>interested in
>>exploring this in future, I was curious to try this topic
>out
>>as the OP is making a sensible request AFAIK. But in
>LiveView
>>Stills mode, when I cycle through the D4 Info button
>settings,
>>there is NO HISTOGRAM! Hard to imagine why I can't get
>>histogram in stills but I can in video. Definitely some
>>strange stuff goes on when doing LiveView...
>>
>>
>Steve, your D4 **must** have a live histogram in LV for
>stills because the D800 has one. Does it require pressing the
>OK button as you cycle through displays with the INFO button
>like the 800 does?
>

THANKS Dave, pressing the OK button once solves the issue. It causes the +- EV display to show on right hand edge of the LCD and as I cycle through the Info displays, lo and behold a histogram appears between grid and horizon display. Very good to know!!

I would never have stumbled into that, always beneficial to be a Nikonian!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

txstone12 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Sun 23-Sep-12 12:13 AM
#10. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 0

Texas, US

>I know live view has some limitations but I guess that I'm missing something. I don't see how it would be practical at all to use M mode in live view without any exposure feedback. Am I missing how to accomplish this?

The accepted work around is to get out of Live View, look at the Exposure Meter, adjust exposure if necessary and then return to Live View. Just as for the other 7000 Live View limitation, not being able to change aperture, there are accepted work arounds.

As Steve mentions for his D4, the newer Nikons have live histograms for feedback in LV. The D800 also has this capability. Suggest that we probably will want to look for live histograms when we replace our 7000s.

There was some controversy last year about what metering system the 7000 uses in LV. Again the newer Nikons (D4 and D800) use the image sensor in LV, not the metering sensor. Does anyone know what Thom Hogan or Digital Darrell say about D7000 metering in LV? I don't have their 7000 books.

David

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 24-Sep-12 02:17 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Metering in Live View?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I skimmed through Thom's book looking for his take on which metering system is used in LV on the D7000. I couldn't find anything specific, Thom sums up the subject by saying "the one thing that I'd caution against doing is relying upon Live View to pre-evaluate exposure. You're better off just taking a sample shot..."

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3754 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.