Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3748
View in linear mode

Subject: "D700 user thinking of D7000 for stills and movies" Previous topic | Next topic
angeo Registered since 23rd Dec 2010Thu 23-Dec-10 07:35 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D700 user thinking of D7000 for stills and movies"

AU

Hi Nikonians. I'm off on a trip to Egypt in 10 days and was thinking of adding to my fantastic D700 by buying a camcorder (Canon HFS21) but now thinking to buy D7000, mount 18-200 from my previous D200 and use D7000 as the single camera - avoiding weight of D700 and camcorder.

3 Queries -
1. Have any of you switched from D700 to D7000 and do you have comments about the stills picture quality etc.
2. Using D7000 in video compared with a dedicated camcorder - comments? I've seen the various Nikon promotional videos and it looks good but I'm wondering about the multistep process - LV, prefocus, etc and whether that can be activated fast. I'm interested in the video usability and quality from a real user's perspective.
3. Recommended settings - is there a link to a Nikonian's preferred deck of settings on the device?

Thanks in advance, Nikonians and Merry Christmas.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Thu 23-Dec-10 08:22 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D700 user thinking of D7000 for stills and movies"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Hi Angeo...

See this thread starting at post #3 for my experience with the D7k's as my only cameras on a recent photosafari to Japan that I led...as a long time D3 user I was nervous about it to be sure but it all turned out well as you'll see from the samples...

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=2571&mesg_id=2571&page=

you might also want to take a trip over to the Nikonians new dslr video forum for more on the video side of things...we have our own personal video guru Chris who has been laying out the nuts and bolts for us and lots of others who are documenting their HDslr experiences...bottom of the 2nd group on the right in the forum lobby...

see you there...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

wordwizrd Registered since 24th Nov 2010Thu 23-Dec-10 09:44 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D700 user thinking of D7000 for stills and movies"
In response to Reply # 1

US

in reply to question #1. i have a d700 and a d7000, using them mostly for newspaper sports this time of year. i've been very pleased with the image quality of the d7000. i'd say it's comparable to the d700 ... but with the advantages of larger files and an extra frame per second. i recently shot world cup bobsleds and skeleton with it. it did a great job of locking focus on sleds moving up to 80 miles per hour ... not an easy task when the window of opportunity from the time the sled pops out of a curve on the track until it disappears again is maybe 2 seconds or less.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 24-Dec-10 03:01 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D700 user thinking of D7000 for stills and movies"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

>1. Have any of you switched from D700 to D7000 and do you have
>comments about the stills picture quality etc.
>2. Using D7000 in video compared with a dedicated camcorder -
>comments? I've seen the various Nikon promotional videos and
>it looks good but I'm wondering about the multistep process -
>LV, prefocus, etc and whether that can be activated fast. I'm
>interested in the video usability and quality from a real
>user's perspective.
>3. Recommended settings - is there a link to a Nikonian's
>preferred deck of settings on the device?
>
>Thanks in advance, Nikonians and Merry Christmas.

1. Good (great?) little camera. Does not quite have the ease of use of the D700 with respect to high ISO. I find I have to do noise reduction on the background more often than with the D700. There is only one camera that beats the D700 in this respect.

2. Video AF is not up to level of a camcorder. (nor does it have the massive depth of field advantage of the tiny camcorder sensor). It would be better to have > 10 days to practice this on the D7000 plus look into some of the external rigs that help.

3. No link for 3 yet, but yes, see the video forum!

I think the D7000 can fill both roles for you, just takes some dedication and learning. Maybe bring the D700 along just in case? You might have a tough time actually finding a D7000, but hopefully not.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 24-Dec-10 02:02 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D700 user thinking of D7000 for stills and movies"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 24-Dec-10 02:36 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

The D7000 is very capable of doing what you need.
The camera with DX lens is smaller and lighter than the D700 with FX glass.
You will rarely need 20 minutes of video in one segment and you can start a second one in a second.

First thing I would do is run out and get a good MonoPod.
The telescoping style can fit your pack or suitcase.
Bogen/Manfrotto make some inexpensive ones.
You will absolutely need it to shoot video and it will help greatly to shoot stills too.
A movie rig or TriPod can be bulky and draw too much unwanted attention.

Read your D7000 manual twice, download the online manual before you get the camera
and read it again with the camera next to you.
Read all the posts here and in the DSLR Movie section.
Get as much practice as possible before you leave.
The higher res sensor is very unforgiving of user error.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3748 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.