Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3617
View in linear mode

Subject: "Advice for good books to read." Previous topic | Next topic
piperiain Registered since 17th Dec 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 12:15 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Advice for good books to read."

Ottawa, CA

Hello!
I'm a brand new member and I"m also very new to photography. I'm looking for some advice (or opinions) on some good reading material. I was at my local Chapters and there seems to be a countless number of books on Photography. Too many to be exact! I have purchased a Nikon D7000 kit and was looking for some literature on the camera only to find that there should be a book out in early June 2011. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be reading until I can get my hands on that one?
Thank you for your time,
Ian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Advice for good books to read.
Hotswimmer Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
dbenson
21st Dec 2010
pkang414
21st Dec 2010
gregor1 Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
piperiain
22nd Dec 2010
km6xz Moderator
22nd Dec 2010
Nicos Rex
22nd Dec 2010
mrginhop Silver Member
22nd Dec 2010
Murseeker
22nd Dec 2010
ConnorH
22nd Dec 2010

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008Tue 21-Dec-10 05:35 AM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 21-Dec-10 01:27 PM by briantilley

Annapolis, US

I'll suggest Peterson's "Understanding Exposure".

Welcome to Nikonians, and congratulations on your new camera!

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 10:55 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hello Ian,

Welcome to the community. There are several web sights that can give you loads of information. Just to name a few: Thom Hogan, Ken Rockwell, Cambridge in Color, Brad Hill, and Bjorn Rorslett. Some of these have tutorials and Nikon also has information and tutorials on their web sight. Good luck with your new camera.

Regards,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 21-Dec-10 12:33 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Buy a subscription to National Geographic and try to imitate what the photographers are doing there. ZOOM is another good one...

Look at as many quality images as you can. And try to figure out what the photographer was thinking and doing...

Books about the D7000 are great for awareness of features, but they won't make you a photographer. You want to learn all you can about light, composition of an image, etc...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

dbenson Registered since 03rd Apr 2006Tue 21-Dec-10 01:22 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 3

Winnipeg, CA

Depends on your interests...

If you want to get to know your D7000 really well, investigate the D7000 Part I and Part II (each is 3 hours long)workshops offered by Henry's Photo in the Ottawa area.

If you have specific interests it would help to know more so we can recommend specific books... Freeman Patterson has some good information, as does Michael Freeman's book, The Photographer's Eye.

Dave Benson

..take time to make time

pkang414 Registered since 08th Feb 2008Tue 21-Dec-10 05:32 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 0

US

+1 for "Understanding Exposure"

Paul

A Virginia Nikonian
<><

gregor1 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2009Tue 21-Dec-10 07:04 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 0

Ringwood, US

Besides those mentioned I have found the following first rate:

Designing a Photograph (Visual Techniques for Making Your Photographs Work) Bill Smith Amphoto Books

Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography Brenda Tharp Amphoto Books

Light Science and Magic (An Introduction to Photographic Lighting) Fil Hunter

Welcome!!!

piperiain Registered since 17th Dec 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 12:47 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Hello again,
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll definitely head out and purchase some books. It'll be an early Christmas present to myself! (As if the camera wasn't enough!)
I appreciate your advice.
Ian

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 11:28 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

In a way, you are lucky to be starting with no experience. The D7000 seems to have more of a learning curve for users of other models because it requires acquiring different habits. You have none so will be open to starting on the right path.
I have no access to books here in English on photography so have none but reading a sample chapter on Amazon for "Understanding Exposure" put is high on my list for recommendations for newcomers due to its non-technical style with good use of analogies and practical technique. When the Thom Hogan book comes out, it will no doubt be a great desk reference with more detailed information than you will likely want to read straight through.
Within a couple months there will be several titles on the shelved, it is a hot camera and publishers will speed them to press.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Nicos Rex Registered since 06th Dec 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 09:07 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I would also suggest Peterson. It is a clear and readable introduction to the fundamentals.

I would also recommend The Ansel Adams series The Camera, The Negative and The Print. Whilst written in the age of film, the principals translate directly to digital. Not the most readable prose style but my goodness there is so much information and advice in there. The thing that I love about these books is that each technical point is tied in to the creative decision making process with the objective of being able to visualise the finished image including all the post-processing that will be required before pressing the shutter release.

mrginhop Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 12:54 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 0

Newfields, US

I highly advise joining a local camera club or two. You learn thru doing by entering monthly competitions & critiques. Also you will learn a lot about how images were made thru face to face interactions with the club's better photographers. Reading books etc is really important but photography is best learned thru trial & error & feedback from people whose work you admire.

Mike

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 03:50 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 0

Breitenbach, CH

Hi Jan, understanding the technology is probably the easiest part of taking good pictures. I the absence of any D7k literature, check the manual, follow some good forums (e.g. this one) and use your camera.
Taking good pictures does not require a D7k book. Read about basics of photography (camera independent) and composition. Concerning composition you not only have to look for photography books but also art (painting). A nice and simple book about composition is the e-book "Simplifying Composition" from Bruce Percy.

ConnorH Registered since 04th Dec 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 06:04 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Advice for good books to read."
In response to Reply # 11

AU

Thanks everyone, I've ordered a couple of books too!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3617 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.