Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3610
View in linear mode

Subject: "U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!" Previous topic | Next topic
comicalalien Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2009Tue 21-Dec-10 06:22 AM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"

AU

I have bought a new Nikon D7000 a few days ago!

I was following Ken Rockwell's advice for setting up the U1 & U2 features at URL: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000/users-guide/

The settings do retain the eposure modes from the menu, BUT I cannot change aperture nor shutter speeds in those modes. All that hapens when I rotate either the main command or sub-command dials is a P* appears on the LCD screen at the top. The Aperture & shutter remain the same.

For instance, when I switch to either U1 or U2, the aperture defaults to F/1.8 and shutter speed defaults to 1/30s using my 35mm F/1.8G AF-S prime lens.

Could someone help me as how to change aperture values as well as shutter speeds in the U1 & U2 mode.

Cheers,
comicalalien

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!
GCDawn
21st Dec 2010
comicalalien Gold Member
21st Dec 2010
greenwing Gold Member
21st Dec 2010
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
BillboTex
21st Dec 2010
21st Dec 2010
BillboTex
21st Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
21st Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
21st Dec 2010
21st Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
22nd Dec 2010
22nd Dec 2010

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 06:35 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 0

Gold Coast, AU

Not sure but maybe you had the camera set to P (program) when you saved the settings for U1 and U2. Or you didn't save any and the default is Program.

Dawn.

comicalalien Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2009Tue 21-Dec-10 02:23 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

OOPS!

I have managed to work it out!

I tested the U1 & U2 settings in a darkened room that's why it only showed F/1.8 at 1/30s.

When I tried again later out the window near the sunlit side of my unit, the aperture changed values. I could also change it further by rotating the main comand dial as well in what is stated in the D7000 manual as "Flexible Program Mode."

This worked for both U1 & U2 settings.

I am pleased with this latest purchase of the D7000. It is going to be one heck of a camera!

Cheers,
comicalalien

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Tue 21-Dec-10 08:39 AM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

When you use program shift to widen the aperture, if the aperture cannot open any wider the P* will show but aperture & shutter will not change. Add a bit of light and just the shutter speed will change. Try rotating the dial in the other direction, or doing it in daylight.

Chris

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 02:20 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 2

New HArtford, US

I looked at his settings and he does not specify if he was in shutter, AE or P mode when he saved his settings.

It appears that whichever one of these settings(AE,shutter, P) you were in when you saved your settings will be fixed. For example if you are in using U1 which was saved in AE mode you are not able to then be in shutter priority mode in that user setting. You would have to turn dial and hence your saved setting would not apply.

While Ken Rockwell has a lot more experience than I, many of his settings make no sense to me. I also can't understand why you would buy a camera as advanced as the D7000 and then only shoot in basic or large jpeg as opposed to fine. This seems to defeat the whole point of your dynamic range and 16 MP.

I would suggest not using his saved settings and create your own in the exposure mode that you want.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 03:01 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 21-Dec-10 03:03 PM by BillboTex

Houston, US

>I would suggest not using his saved settings and create your
>own in the exposure mode that you want.>

Thanks JohnE. Good advice. I have not received my d7000 yet, but doing as much as I can to be prepared WHENEVER it gets here.

I didn't understand Rockwell's choices either, and I am thinking that I might choose "Indoor stage - no flash" for U1, and "Aperture bracket" for U2.

Can you give me details on your choice of specifications for those two circumstances? Also do you know of any links to anyone who has created general U1/U2 specifications for VARIOUS circumstances such as birds in flight, intervalometry, videography, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help.

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 03:52 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 5

New HArtford, US

>>I would suggest not using his saved settings and create
>your
>>own in the exposure mode that you want.>
>
>Thanks JohnE. Good advice. I have not received my d7000 yet,
>but doing as much as I can to be prepared WHENEVER it gets
>here.
>
>I didn't understand Rockwell's choices either, and I am
>thinking that I might choose "Indoor stage - no
>flash" for U1, and "Aperture bracket" for U2.
>
>Can you give me details on your choice of specifications for
>those two circumstances? Also do you know of any links to
>anyone who has created general U1/U2 specifications for
>VARIOUS circumstances such as birds in flight, intervalometry,
>videography, etc.?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm no expert and you may want to create a separate post regarding these settings. I have some experience with stage photography.
There are multiple variables and a setting would depend on what lens you are using.
For me with stage photography I use a 70-200 2.8. I keep auto iso on. I shoot RAW. If I am shooting mainly one person I could keep aperture open at 2.8. If there are multiple subjects at different planes of focus I may have to step up aperture higher for more depth of field. I try to keep shutter speed above 250-300. With shutter above 500 I don't see much benefit so then depending on light I would decrease iso and step up aperture. I try and keep iso under 1600. This was with my D5000. With the D7000 I may be happy with an iso of 3600 or higher.
Also with shutter above 500 many recommend turning off VR. This can't be saved in a setting.

Sorry I dont have a straight forward answer.
Something like aperature priority, auto iso with minimum set for 250 and a starting iso of 400. Auto focus is another issue, are subjects moving? See, a lot of variables. It's hard to grab someone's settings for your needs. Putting the camera in green auto or one of the scene modes may be a good starting place and see how the camera deals with these situations and then you could begin to tweak.

JohnE Nikon

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 04:50 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 7

Houston, US

EXCELLENT advice JohnE, thanks! Thats what I need and looking for - "ballpark" starting points and then I can tweak them to my specific needs.

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 21-Dec-10 03:03 PM
28748 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

>While Ken Rockwell has a lot more experience than I, many of
>his settings make no sense to me. I also can't understand why
>you would buy a camera as advanced as the D7000 and then only
>shoot in basic or large jpeg as opposed to fine.

Just trust your own judgement. A lot of what he says makes no sense to me either.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 21-Dec-10 06:25 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 21-Dec-10 06:28 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

This is the part of U1/U2 I do not get! If I am in manual (or aperture priority or shutter or program) when I save my U1 or U2 settings, I cannot switch to another exposure mode without losing all my other settings?

To quote John above, I think he came to the same conclusion:
"It appears that whichever one of these settings(AE,shutter, P) you were in when you saved your settings will be fixed. For example if you are in using U1 which was saved in AE mode you are not able to then be in shutter priority mode in that user setting. You would have to turn dial and hence your saved setting would not apply."

What I plan to do over the holidays is test ways around this - I am more than a little curious if I can control this behaviour based on the DIRECTION I TURN THE MODE DIAL? I.e. If I am in U1 can I turn the mode dial in a direction that DOES NOT PASS THROUGH U2 then is the camera smart enough to retain all my U1 settings?

- Vice versa if I am in U2, can I control the behaviour by avoiding passing through U1?
- Is it passing the mode dial from one "U" mode through to another (i.e. spinning the dial from U1 such that it passes through U2 ) that causes the clobbering of the other remembered settings?
- And/or if I twist out of U1 or U2 (avoiding passing through the other umode) and the remembered settings change what do they change to and where are these settings remembered from ??

Sorry I don't have my camera with me, but I do plan to test all of the above over Christmas!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Tue 21-Dec-10 07:32 PM
#10. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 21-Dec-10 07:33 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

>
>What I plan to do over the holidays is test ways around this -
>I am more than a little curious if I can control this
>behaviour based on the DIRECTION I TURN THE MODE DIAL? I.e.
>If I am in U1 can I turn the mode dial in a direction that
>DOES NOT PASS THROUGH U2 then is the camera smart enough to
>retain all my U1 settings?
>
>- Vice versa if I am in U2, can I control the behaviour by
>avoiding passing through U1?
>- Is it passing the mode dial from one "U" mode
>through to another (i.e. spinning the dial from U1 such that
>it passes through U2 ) that causes the
>clobbering of the other remembered settings?
>- And/or if I twist out of U1 or U2 (avoiding passing through
>the other umode) and the remembered settings change what do
>they change to and where are these settings remembered from
>??
>
>Sorry I don't have my camera with me, but I do plan to test
>all of the above over Christmas!
>
>
>
>Best regards, SteveK
>
>'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see
>without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
>My
>Nikonians gallery>
>
My Nikonians Blog

I have the camera. This does not work.

2 more things to take note of;
If settings were saved and you tweak while leaving in your user mode. ie change focus, iso, f-stop etc. and power off and on your camera the changed settings will remain. They will only revert to saved settings if dial is turned. I posted this a while ago. It has some advantages and disadvantages but is important to remember.

Also the A,S,M,P modes appear to stay untouched as you dial through the other modes or power off and on. In a way this is like giving you another user setting.

In a certain environment you may want to have 3 different quickly accessible settings. Maybe shooting a wedding where you can have a portrait mode, action mode for dancing and a flash mode. So I like the way it is. It would be nice if there was a way of copying all settings quickly for another mode but you can't have everything.

In the A,S or M mode the settings will stick to other A,S, M modes when dialed. For example set f stop to 5.6 and shutter to 400 in M mode then turn to A mode and your f stop will be 5.6. If you set shutter to 200 and then turn back to M mode shutter will be at 200 not what you just set it too. This is probably not any news to most of you and likely works this way on other Nikons, but I just discovered it.

JohnE Nikon

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 22-Dec-10 06:32 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 10

Alberta, CA

Thank you very much John! I was really struggling to get my mind around what the camera was doing and therefore how to program the camera based on what I knew it to be doing. I know I encountered the issue twice in the heat of shooting and it really threw me off. One time was during videoing and that really blew up because I wanted to be manually controlling the aperture during film capture. I eventually got it done, but reprogramming in a dark theatre while there was live-action going on was not ideal

So conceptually we have a third "U3" mode that is shared by all the P/A/S/M exposure modes! I am going to re-program with that concept in mind. I think it may be fair to state that this "U3 mode" does not have a reversion to a Saved/Load capability unlike U1/2. I.e. "U3" (probably) just keeps remembering whatever I have last set, which I am OK with as long as I know what is going on and plan for it accordingly.

The other BIG complication (for me anyways) is going to be planning out how I want stills to behave and how I want video to behave in concert with switching between U1/U2 and "U3". Part of getting to know a new camera I guess.

Maybe I'll tackle my thinking on stills first as that is somewhat second nature to me and will generally involve only aperture priority or manual options. And for me I probably have only two or three main biases to key in on - landscape/portrait, low-light action, and birding/wildlife.

Where it gets tricky is layering in flash into each of these modes.

And layering in video hmmmm I have very little clue as of yet. But for me, video usage of the D7K is a huge part of my goal for this camera.

Once again I really appreciate your and everyone else' insights!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 08:41 PM
#12. "RE: U1 & U2 Settings on D7000 need HELP!"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 22-Dec-10 08:45 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

Steve,
Glad I could help. Enjoy.
BTW impressive gallery.

JohnE Nikon

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3610 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.