Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3574
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 20-Dec-10 03:49 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
Mon 20-Dec-10 05:36 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Just diving in now myself, more thoughts later from me. I see he has it listed as Strongly Recommended - "The "Strongly Recommended" is new wording for me. It suggests that the product is somewhere between "Highly Recommended" and "Recommended."

"The D7000 is a top DX performer in almost every way, and is more than most people expected in a D90 update. But like some consumer cameras before it, Nikon has let a few minor things get in the way of perfection. At a slightly lower price it might have been five-stars across the board. Consider it four-and-a-half stars if you'd like. It's definitely good, very good."

Edited to add: here's the link:
http://www.bythom.com/nikond7000review.htm

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!
richardd300 Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
dm1dave Administrator
20th Dec 2010
Garys
20th Dec 2010
bradbort Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
20th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
Garys
20th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
mrginhop
21st Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
MotoMannequin Moderator
21st Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
bradbort Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
21st Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
21st Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
22nd Dec 2010
km6xz Moderator
22nd Dec 2010
Murseeker
22nd Dec 2010
22nd Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
22nd Dec 2010
22nd Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
22nd Dec 2010
lifewings Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
lifewings Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
22nd Dec 2010
NY Jim
24th Dec 2010
DVDMike Silver Member
24th Dec 2010

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 20-Dec-10 05:58 AM
3091 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Dec-10 08:37 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

<<But the real issue here is that we've got a lot of people buying into very sophisticated equipment--and the D7000 is extremely sophisticated--and expecting magic "just set to auto and shoot" results. If you're thinking about the D7000 as your camera, expect to spend some time learning it, mastering it, and setting it appropriately for what you're trying to do at any time. >>

So there we are and although I never doubted that much advice on the forum was extremely genuine and accurate, I never doubted my own ability either. Lessons to be learned there! I am now satisfied that my first D7K was faulty, focus wise, because the "out of focus issue" was not apparent on the replacement camera and focus worked in a much more satisfactory way from day 1. There was only a very slight softness and this has been overcome via AF-fine tune and further learning. I think I fell fowl of Nikon QA process too and was one of Thom Hogan's 5%. I also fell foul of a human frailty, by not accepting that it was more than just the camera, because I had been thrown by the out of focus issue.

It seems to me that the Hogan review is about as comprehensive as a review gets (although I have much more of it to digest) and even I have to admit I am getting results I could never have achieved with body No 1.

With respect to those posters who advised me that there is a learning curve (even if I hadn't had to experience before) I now fully accept that. That said no amount of meaningful advise would have helped me with body 1. I am sure that camera will appear as a refurb, repaired and will work satisfactorily for someone.

I was also interested in the reviews conclusion regarding the positive advantages of top quality glass. All my lenses bar one are pro lenses so I have no excuses there.

So there we go, much of the fog has cleared for me now and hopefully will for others too. I certainly have learned so much that I never knew before. Valuable as it was, I am hoping that concludes my issues with the D7000 for now and I can just enjoy it. Faulty camera apart, I hope also that I have shown that I am not above eating a small slice of humble pie!

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 20-Dec-10 03:50 PM
11064 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

“So there we are and although I never doubted that much advice on the forum was extremely genuine and accurate, I never doubted my own ability either. Lessons to be learned there! I am now satisfied that my first D7K was faulty, focus wise, because the "out of focus issue" was not apparent on the replacement camera and focus worked in a much more satisfactory way from day 1. There was only a very slight softness and this has been overcome via AF-fine tune and further learning. I think I fell fowl of Nikon QA process too and was one of Thom Hogan's 5%. I also fell foul of a human frailty, by not accepting that it was more than just the camera, because I had been thrown by the out of focus issue.”

Unfortunately in the rush to buy new equipment there is likely to fairly large number buyers who do expect magic. A lot of these people are inexperienced and assume the camera must be faulty.

This initial wave of complaints muddies the waters and makes life more difficult for people like you who experience genuine faults.

More often then not you can identify the people with phantom problems because they refuse to accept any advice and just continue to complain. They also tend to disappear fairly quickly either.

People with genuine problems are more likely take advice and use a process of elimination to narrow down the possible causes. You are a good example of someone who put in a great deal of effort to rule out common errors and determine that you camera had a genuine defect.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Garys Registered since 22nd Sep 2009Mon 20-Dec-10 03:00 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 0

Mesa, US

I read Thom’s review yesterday and am a little confused on the lens issue. It appears, that in order to get the best results with the D7000, a “Pro” lens must be used. Therefore, if I plan on using 10-24, 16-85, and 35mm f/1.8, or any other “DX” lens, then I should not expect to capture the best images that the camera can produce. Is this a correct statement?

Gary

----
Gary

Visit MY Nikon Gallery: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=13361&ppuser=0

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Mon 20-Dec-10 03:44 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 2

somerville, US

Not my read of it at all. the 10-24, 16-85 and 35mm are all sharp lenses. I believe what he was saying that better glass takes better pictures (duh), and that the D7000 is less forgiving of some of the less sharp consumer lenses because it captures more of the information...although unlikely you'd see the difference at "normal" (8 x 10) enlargements. Everyone seems a bit underwhelmed by the kit lens included in the package for this reason. Its an ok lense, but the camera can handle much better...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 20-Dec-10 03:49 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 2

Alberta, CA

>... Therefore, ifI plan on using 10-24, 16-85, and 35mm f/1.8, or any other
>“DX” lens, then I should not expect to capture the best images
>that the camera can produce. Is this a correct statement?
>

Funny you should mention those three DX lenses; I suspect those are lenses Thom is NOT referring to

I think he is talking 18-200, 18-135, 18-55 and third-party as being challenged to supply the resolution this sensor can eat up. I'm pretty sure Thom uses the 10-24 and 16-85 himself and the 35 f1.8 is widely regarded as a great lens.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 20-Dec-10 05:22 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 4

Joanna, US

Not certain he is including the 18-135 as he had given it a pretty good review in his Nikon reviews. But, that review was just for the lens only. I may be fooling myself but I am using that lens and have gotten what I believe to be real good shots inside a gym using no flash. The shots outdoors also appear very good. Yet, since I don't have any true "pro" lens, I'll not be able to compare "oranges with oranges". Should have stuck with my trusty D70s so I guess I'll have to see if I can sell my 7k since my lens aren't going to show great detail and resolution - NOT! ' Guess the camera could get the most out of the lens instead the lens get the most out of the camera?

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 20-Dec-10 03:59 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

>I read Thom’s review yesterday and am a little confused on
>the lens issue. It appears, that in order to get the best
>results with the D7000, a “Pro” lens must be used. Therefore,
>if I plan on using 10-24, 16-85, and 35mm f/1.8, or any other
>
>Gary
>
Not entirely. Some of the DX lens can be the "best" depending on your use.
This is especially true for a "walk around", travel, or hiking lens.
And, your 35mm f/1.8 images could be better than many "Pro glass" lens.

On the other hand, if i were shooting for a magazine cover,
or trying to get the highest quality Landscape or Portrait image,
then I would use my best "Pro" glass.

Garys Registered since 22nd Sep 2009Mon 20-Dec-10 05:08 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 6

Mesa, US

Thanks for the responses, the new lenses will be under the tree next weekend, and I was afraid I might have to change my selections.

Gary

----
Gary

Visit MY Nikon Gallery: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=13361&ppuser=0

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 20-Dec-10 05:40 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 20-Dec-10 05:57 PM by billD80

US

Fair and measured review... Here are a few comments that stood out for me...

"I think you have to pick the D300s if your camera handling is going to be abusive and rough, the D7000 if you value image quality and performance (other than frame rate and buffer size) over ruggedness."

"I've noticed a bit of chatter on the net about "overexposure." But that's not what's really happening with the D7000 metering system. No, it's that color matching and pattern matching coming into play. And correctly, I think."

"The D7000 is going to force me to go back and re-evaluate a lot of lenses."

"But the real issue here is that we've got a lot of people buying into very sophisticated equipment--and the D7000 is extremely sophisticated--and expecting magic "just set to auto and shoot" results. If you're thinking about the D7000 as your camera, expect to spend some time learning it, mastering it, and setting it appropriately for what you're trying to do at any time."

"I'm going to put on my "Galen" guessing hat: he'd be DX. And he'd have scooped up the D7000."

Obviously, he's referring to Galen Rowell. This is VERY high praise.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

mrginhop Registered since 29th Mar 2009Tue 21-Dec-10 12:58 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 9

Newfields, US

I am fairly new to Nikonians but have been reading the D7000 posts for sometime now. I think what Thom has done quite effectively is bring a full & well supported perspective to the D7000- both its strengths & weaknesses. As a very long time D300 user and a more recent D7000 user with over 7500 shots on it already, I think everything Thom said is pretty dead on. I am a serious BIF shooter & am a bit disappointed about the limited buffer for Raw but I guess I can switch to fine jpeg to overcome that problem. The ISO performance on the D7000 is better then the D300 but especially once I get past ISO 400 but it is not yet in the same league with D700. I think Thom is also quite dead on re. Nikon needing to come out with a real pro DX body as they have done with the D3s.

Mike

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 21-Dec-10 12:28 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I think Thom is also quite dead on re.
>Nikon needing to come out with a real pro DX body as they have
>done with the D3s.
>
>Mike

I was all set to wait for this body (D400) -- and would have if the D7000 didn't have sealing, magnesium, 150k shutter. The other specs were also important/critical, but the D80/D200, D90/D300 always had a clear demarcaton between them, even though in many ways they were like fraternal twins. It is very interesting that Nikon chose to put "D400" qualities into a "consumer" DX body. Qualities that many "consumer" level camera buyers wouldn't know to care about. The D7000 could have been all plastic, 100K shutter, no sealing, etc. and would still have sold bundles at a little lower price-point. In that event, I'd have waited for the D400.

Now, I'm not totally convinced that a D400 is coming. But assuming it is (a probable eventuality), it's going to have to be demonstrably better (more sealing? 200K shutter? more magnesium? 8FPS?) How many pros REALLY want this?

Perhaps it'll look like a small D3, with built-in grip...

I guess my point is that Hogan is assuming there will be a D400, but after reading his review, part of me wonders why. What's going to justify the several hundred dollars of additional cost?

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 21-Dec-10 05:18 AM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 2

Livermore, CA, US

>I read Thom’s review yesterday and am a little confused on
>the lens issue. It appears, that in order to get the best
>results with the D7000, a “Pro” lens must be used. Therefore,
>if I plan on using 10-24, 16-85, and 35mm f/1.8, or any other

Here's the relevant text from Thom's review:

The 18-105mm kit lens is not quite as good a performer as the 16-85mm DX lens. You can't tell that on the 12mp cameras, but on the D7000 there is a small, but discernible difference. That's not to say the 18-105mm is bad on the D7000. It isn't. It's just that the 16-85mm delivers a tiny bit more performance (as does the 17-55m).

I don't see how you can come away from that thinking the 16-85 will fall short for you. Ditto on the 10-24 and 35/1.8, both are best-in-class lenses. On DX the 35/1.8 outperforms the 35/2.0 FX lens, which was (is) a very highly regarded lens.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 21-Dec-10 02:16 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Another great review by Hogan. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but his opinions are definitely reasonable and based on considerable knowledge and experience.

I would comment on two issues (that I may or may not be correct about):

Frame/Burst rate: Thom correctly points out the advantage here lies with the d300s, but he doesn't necessarily do a great job at tying together this information with the 14 bit RAW advantage of the d7000. Although it's in his review you could walk away not realizing that the d7000 will shoot 14 bit RAW (16 MP files) at 6 FPS, with a buffer size for about 10 photos. Further, the d300s will shoot 14 bit RAW (12 MP files) at only 2.5 FPS. I don't remember the exact buffer size for 14 bit RAW on the d300s but it is much larger than the d7000. However, in reality it doesn't need to be, given the slow frame rate there is plenty of time for the buffer to empty. In practice if you are shooting 14 bit RAW and FPS/Burst rate is key to you it is likely that the d7000 is your camera. If you are shooting 12 bit or JPEG and you need maximum FPS/burst rates the d300s will still clean the d7k's clock.

Build: Thom correctly points out that the d300s build is still theoretically better than the d7000 (full magnesium alloy vs. partial). The suggestion is that if you need a more rugged camera get the d300s. This begs the question, how rugged is the d300s, or the d90 for that matter? Does anyone know of any tests that have actually been done on the body of these cameras that has ascertained that a d300s will take normal rugged wear and tear notably better? I don't. Maybe it is common sense, maybe it is a false presumption.

I am glad Hogan was able to explain the whole hot metering "issue". I love the way the d7k meters, it is much more intuitive to me.

Jason

bradbort Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2006Tue 21-Dec-10 02:35 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 13

somerville, US

The rugged issue is a good one. I know of no comparative tests either, nor any accepted criteria to judge. I do know that I have taken some (2-3) significant, slipper rock, falls with the d300, where the camera basically got wacked into rock. The lens filter shattered, but the camera was pretty much unscathed. It was in good enough shape that when I sold it recently to KEH they gave me a very good price (helped pay for the d7000). I have no idea if the D7000 would be equally resistance to such blows, but given my track record, I'll eventually find out

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 21-Dec-10 02:57 PM
28321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, GB

>Maybe it is common sense, maybe it is a false presumption.

I'm sure Thom is not "presuming" anything. His assessment of the relative ruggedness of the cameras will undoubtedly have been based on actually using them in the field.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 21-Dec-10 10:17 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 15

Toronto, CA

I am sure the d300 is well tested by him (and undoubtedly rugged), but I think he lists a d90 as a back-up body. Not sure how much field time that would actually get. No one, I would think, is yet a regular enough user of the d7000 to make ruggedness statements based on field experience (anyone know someone who dropped theirs on rocks yet?).

He could very well be correct. I would be interested in testing the theory but I am not prepared to sacrifice my D90 or D7000 so I guess I will just shut up and listen to Thom!

Jason

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 22-Dec-10 04:53 AM
#17. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 16

Alberta, CA

Thom is always so thought provoking. I learned a bunch just from his review, nevermind his upcoming D7000 book which I shall purchase.

I am relieved by his take on the quality of the sensor output, the metering "controversy", and the likelihood of the video hot pixel firmware fix.

I don't know how he packs so much deep intelligence about the cam in so quickly, but it puts the dpreview to shame. The stuff about the blue channel, the noise quality, the SIZE of the AF points (!), the meter and it's relationship to colour and to the choice of AF mode and number of AF points, the way forward for getting faster CD autofocus, the sound sampling quality, the various noise/ISO thresholds, and the list goes on and on are all things I have read nowhere else as of yet. By having Thom's information one can begin to understand how to leverage this tool to it's utmost.

I know I still haven't fully settled on my PP regime for D7K raw files yet (particularly with respect to noise) nor have I tried ISO > 1600 nor HDR yet. And I've got a ton to try on the video side. Onwards and upwards...

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 11:17 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 17

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, Steve, Thom's review was 10 times more informative and relevant than DPR's which was done by a exclusive Canon shooter who negatively commented on everything that was not like Canon.
The constant complaints from new users about overexposure is more a statement about the user than the camera, which has all the flexibility in the world to bias it anyway one wants. Leaving it as is however would be better more of the time than changing it and or going backwards like the DPR reviewed suggest Nikon do to get it "up to Canon" standards.

As far as his assumptions of ruggedness, it is a highly subjective characteristic. Normally the title of "rugged" is given to products that have more mass regardless of the impact that added mass has on reliability. Lightweight items are usually more durable in falls, heavy items are often more resistant to puncture or impulse if the weight/mass is due to thicker cases. A point and shoot is going to survive a fall better than a DSLR. A fall on rocks would probably not damage anything except cosmetics.
Lower mass items do not need to be as stout to be reliable, plastic bumpers need replacing much less than heavy steel bumpers, and in many items, a metal case is less damage resistant than a proper plastic one. For example the military buys a lot of delicate electronic equipment. Several manufacturers(Aligent and Tektronix among others) of precision test instruments were able to pass the ruggedness criteria for military procurement(which certainly does test for specs consumers on the civilian market never would) by their off the shelf lab equipment simply by replacing their metal cases with lexan or other very rugged plastic. The D90 is made of Lexan.
I have only a D90, and my only prior SLR was a Canon A1, all metal and dense. I've put my D90 through the grinder, hanging from my hip , with 70-200vr, grip, SB900 and Lightsphere 1/2 cloud. Quite a massive combination, particularly since it is constantly banging on things running around for 6-8 hour events most weekends, taking up to 1,000 shots. Any camera to show no signs of duress with those insults is, in my book, "rugged". I expect the D7000 to be similar in durability. If it is no better in that regard than a D90, it will be plenty rugged for varied applications, certainly for lighter tasks like weddings landscape.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Murseeker Registered since 21st Dec 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 03:29 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 19

Breitenbach, CH

Stan, I agree to your evaluation of (rugged)plastic vs. metal. Also a rugged device is (for me) much more than resistance to puncture or impact. It's also about resistance against dust, mud and wet. My favorite subject to capture are Motocross races. This offers plenty of dust, mud and wet. Years ago I was using analog Canon equipment. The body had to be sent in for cleaning almost every year. It happened 3 times that the lens (AF) was not working anymore. Then, quite a while ago I changed to the D200 and the 70-200. Same dust, mud and wet. Much more pictures taken than during analog times but never any outages and also no unusual dust in the body. I hope that my new D7k will do the same for me.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 06:21 AM
3091 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 16
Wed 22-Dec-10 07:14 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

<<No one, I would think, is yet a regular enough user of the d7000 to make ruggedness statements based on field experience (anyone know someone who dropped theirs on rocks yet?).>>

Me neither, but I've had both the D700 (still have and about same weight as my D300 was) and D90 both with MB grips and strangely when both had my 70-200mm f/2.8 fitted I found the weight well balanced on both and not too noticeably heavier on the D700. That said, the only thing I did find is that the D90 always felt a bit flimsy when a long lens was fitted, as if the weight without great care could damage the bayonet connection. Not so with the D700 and now with the D7000. However, pick either the D700 or D90 body up without lenses and the difference was immediately obvious. I could see myself bumping the 700 and getting away with it, not so perhaps the D90.

It's the same now with the D7000 v D700, except this time the D7000 feels much more rugged than the D90 did even without the grip with or without lenses fitted. No, I haven't dropped either yet, but...

Last summer I used my 700 with the 70-200 on a bobbing boat at the North Cape in Norway in the pouring rain and my rain cover got lost overboard, both camera and lens got wet, very wet! I wasn't missing the opportunity of taking pictures of sea eagles and puffins after a treck to the Arctic! I dried them off later and the sealing on the 700 and 70-200 lens meant I had no ingress or if I did it's never been an issue. The D90 I don't think would have faired so well. Although the 7000 has limited mag alloy and this is not around the lens bayonet unfortunately, although it does have rear and top protection and according to the spec weather sealing there too. The longer lens feel more secure too, although I think that may be just my take on it. I think the mag alloy parts would probably help in a top or rear bump.

Overall and although I have limited experience with the D7000 it does feel and is of course a better built body compared to the D90, but having said all that I'm in no hurry to try any scientifically designed drop or ingress protection tests! I guess someone will do the tests under controlled conditions sometime.

Richard.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 01:07 PM
#20. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 18

Toronto, CA

Don't be too quick to count the D90 out. When I first got mine I got caught in a rain storm with it coming home from the harbour front here in Toronto. Though I tried to shelter it a bit, it got pretty wet.

I actually thought (because I knew it did not have weather sealing) that it would be in trouble. Nothing happened, works fine.

I wouldn't want to repeat this however!

Jason

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 02:12 PM
#21. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 20

Dyserth, GB

It's always good to know what cameras have escaped from nature. It's a long way from the harbour to Yonge Street in the city, I know I got caught in a summer storm walking that a few years ago.

Richard.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 22-Dec-10 07:06 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 21

Monterey Bay, US

I have seen some shooters standing in the rain taking shots and others using plastic bags or special rain covers.
Although I prefer to stay out of the rain all together or at least shoot from a shelter,
Most of my Nikkor lens and bodies have been in the rain with no damage.
I am actually more concerned with condensation as I've had a few LCDs fog up, but without damage.

My D7000 seems very solid and the lens mount is tight.
The newly designed camera grip almost sticks to my hand.
I've never scratched a front lens element or filter,
so I doubt I will ever put this camera to a crash test.

lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008Fri 24-Dec-10 01:20 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 23

Santa Fe, US

Well - I did, quite inadvertently, put the D7000 to the crash test, and I'm sad to say it did not survive. It was attached to my 500 mm lens, and on a mongoose mount .... luckily the mongoose took the brunt of the impact and the lens survived with no problems. The D 7000 however was totally smashed.

Of course I don't know, and will not test out, whether or not my D300 would have survived more intact. All I can say is its lucky I had insurance ....

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 24-Dec-10 01:26 AM
#28. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 27
Fri 24-Dec-10 01:28 AM by billD80

US

...whether or not
>my D300 would have survived more intact. All I can say is its
>lucky I had insurance ....

Unfortunately, "more intact" isn't any better than totally destroyed. That's why insurance is a great option. BTW, could you use the D300 to post pictures of the D7000? Would LOVE to see that.

lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008Fri 24-Dec-10 02:32 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 28

Santa Fe, US

I'll try & get some up tomorrow.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 11:38 PM
#24. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 21

Toronto, CA

Yeah storms like jump out of no where when you are out on a fun shoot!

Jason

NY Jim Registered since 11th Feb 2009Fri 24-Dec-10 02:34 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 0

Cortlandt Manor, US

Hey Steve -- Thanks for posting the link to Thom's review. I find his site to be one of the best on the net.

I am one of those who upgraded from a D90 to a D7000. For me, the improvement is not subtle. The D7000 focus (the AF is dead on) and metering are so much better than the D90's. I shoot a lot of wildlife, sometimes at dawn or dusk, and I get shots with the D7000 that I could not have gotten with the D90.

But the best improvement is in IQ. Not only do I have more pixels, but the pixels are better. I did not expect this as the photosites on the D7000 sensor are physically smaller than on the D90 (hence they gather less light). What I see however is that the D7000 pixels are both sharper and less noisy than the ones I get from my D90. This was unexpected.

I was waiting for the rumored D400 or D800, and I'll still be tempted by the D800 if I can get better low-light performance with larger pixels on an FX sensor, but I don't think you'll pry the D7000 out of my fingers. For wildlife, this body is a winner.

-- Jim

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Fri 24-Dec-10 07:59 PM
2184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Thom Hogan's D7000 Review is up!"
In response to Reply # 0

Metro Atlanta, US

That has to be the best D7000 review that I have seen.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3574 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.