Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3558
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sticky center focus?" Previous topic | Next topic
radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Sun 19-Dec-10 09:08 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sticky center focus?"

Cupertino, US

I know it was not there earlier, now when I look through the viewfinder the center focus point is always there without pressing any buttons. thoughts?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sticky center focus?
Gamecocks Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
radwar
19th Dec 2010
UrbanXC
19th Dec 2010
radwar
19th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
radwar
19th Dec 2010
radwar
19th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
20th Dec 2010
radwar
20th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
20th Dec 2010
radwar
21st Dec 2010

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 19-Dec-10 09:41 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 19-Dec-10 09:43 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Not certain if this is what you are talking about but every since I've had my 7k the very center of the viewfinder has a very small circle that is somewhat lighter than the surrounding area. It appears to have no effect on the results so I'm not concerned. Once the camera is on and I focus, the focus point is where I have selected it to be in "single point AF". Might try another position to see what happens or a reset?

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Sun 19-Dec-10 10:19 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 1

Cupertino, US

>Not certain if this is what you are talking about but every
>since I've had my 7k the very center of the viewfinder has a
>very small circle that is somewhat lighter than the
>surrounding area. It appears to have no effect on the results
>so I'm not concerned. Once the camera is on and I focus, the
>focus point is where I have selected it to be in "single
>point AF". Might try another position to see what
>happens or a reset?
>
>John

in my case it is not a circle. it is a focus point which is always there...

UrbanXC Registered since 19th Nov 2010Sun 19-Dec-10 10:21 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

Now that you mention it, I see it in my viewfinder also. It's there in all modes and even when the camera is off. Looks like it is part of the pattern on the focusing screen. In which case it would have no effect on the focusing of the camera.

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Sun 19-Dec-10 10:52 PM
#4. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 3

Cupertino, US

>Now that you mention it, I see it in my viewfinder also.
>It's there in all modes and even when the camera is off.
>Looks like it is part of the pattern on the focusing screen.
>In which case it would have no effect on the focusing of the
>camera.

I am getting confused by this thing. I am not sure what you are talking about which stays when the camera is off. Are you talking about the outline where the AF points are inside? I am talking about a specific AF point one of the 39 AF points which always shows up highlighted. I After switching modes from AF-S. AF-A and AF-C I saw it dissapear.. but then I was looking through the view finder and moving it around, I see it appear sometimes and then go away... I *did not* have the shutter released pressed/half way or anything, my finger was not even on it.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 19-Dec-10 11:08 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 4

Joanna, US

I regret if I caused you some confusion as I was trying to make certain I understood your problem. So, what you are experiencing is a "single" focus point that will continue showing in the viewfinder no matter if the camera is on or off; yet, at times it will disappear? Does the focus point stay in the same position in the viewfinder?

John

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Sun 19-Dec-10 11:33 PM
#6. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 5

Cupertino, US

The single AF point comes on only when the camera is switched on.. From what I see it sometimes come on and goes off depending on what you are looking at.

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Sun 19-Dec-10 11:38 PM
#7. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 6

Cupertino, US

I wonder if I have the AF thing all wrong.. What would be the expected behavior if I have the AF in Auto 3d mode and AF-A mode on.?

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 20-Dec-10 12:04 AM
#8. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon 20-Dec-10 12:05 AM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Seejo,

Unless I'm totally mistaken, when the camera is turned on a focus point is automatically shown in the viewfinder. If you have it set for a single point (or multiple points), in any particular area, and turn the camera off, when you turn the camera on again the point will be where you had it last. At least, that's the way it is on my 7k and D70s. This is without touching the shutter button. Good luck.

Regards,

John

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Mon 20-Dec-10 05:18 AM
#9. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 8

Cupertino, US

Hmn... for AF-A I see one point highlighted, but for AF-S I don't see it.. I don't remember seeing this behavior for my D90 though..

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 20-Dec-10 08:59 AM
28676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

>From what I see it sometimes come on and goes off
>depending on what you are looking at.

Custom Setting a4 controls how the active AF point is highlighted. With a4 set to "Auto", the AF point is lit up in red when the background is dark. Check page 209 in the D7000 manual for details.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

radwar Registered since 28th Feb 2009Tue 21-Dec-10 03:05 PM
#11. "RE: Sticky center focus?"
In response to Reply # 10

Cupertino, US

Thanks for the pointer.. for a moment I thought i had lost it..

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3558 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.