Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3523
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 remote mirror up problem" Previous topic | Next topic
GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Sat 18-Dec-10 06:53 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 remote mirror up problem"

Gold Coast, AU

Hi, I don't know whether I am doing something wrong here. When I set my remote release mode to Mirror Up it is supposed to flip up the mirror on the first press, then release the shutter on the next. Mine is not consistent. Sometimes does both on one press, just as if it were set to quick response release. Other times it will flip the mirror up on the first press, then each subsequent press it releases the shutter and flips up the mirror again! Then to get out of this cycle I have to wait 30 seconds or so for the timeout to kick in and return the mirror.
If I set the top dial to Mirror Up rather than remote release, the function works correctly.
Have I missed something?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem
JPJ Silver Member
18th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
18th Dec 2010
poc Silver Member
18th Dec 2010
GCDawn
19th Dec 2010
poc Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
GCDawn
19th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
Mike Buckley
19th Dec 2010
pdekman Gold Member
19th Dec 2010
GCDawn
19th Dec 2010
GCDawn
20th Dec 2010

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 18-Dec-10 10:40 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

No, you are doing it correct (per page 80 of the manual) so long as your remote mode is set to Remote MuP, and your dial is on remote, it should operate as you describe (1x to lift mirror, 1x to release shutter).

I pulled out my D7000 and ML-L3 and tested this. Works like a charm.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 18-Dec-10 11:56 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Joanna, US

Hello Dawn,

Welcome to the community of Nikonians. Like Jason, I tested my set up and it works as hoped: mode dial on remote and remote control mode in Shooting menu set to Remote mirror up. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Sat 18-Dec-10 11:56 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Glenview, US

"If I set the top dial to Mirror Up rather than remote release, the function works correctly."

I am not sure I am understanding this part. Which function works correctly?

If you set the top dial to Mup, the remote does not fire the camera. In this position it will only fire by pressing the shutter down all the way (or a second time) or with a remote cord inserted into the side of the camera.

With respect to the inconsistency, the only thing I can think of is that you inadvertently activated another function. I would go through the menu to see if this is the case.

If you give me some more details, I will play with it to see if I can reproduce your problem.

Thank you for bringing this up as it has motivated me to look at another feature of the camera that is different from my d300s.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Sun 19-Dec-10 01:29 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Gold Coast, AU

Thanks Peter,

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

Here's what happens. I set the release mode dial to Mirror Up, press the shutter release once, mirror goes up, press the shutter release again, shutter releases. All OK as advertised in the manual.

Now I set the release mode dial to Remote, and the menu remote control mode to Remote mirror-up, press the remote button once, mirror flips up. Press the remote button again, shutter releases and mirror flips up again. I can do this multiple times, mirror keeps finishing up. It only will go back if I do nothing for 30 seconds or whatever, at which time the shutter releases again and the mirror goes back down.

Stop press!
I have just done the test again for this post and bizarrely ... if I am in U1 - which for me is an aperture priority setting - or U2 (manual) the problem occurs. However if I put the mode dial on to A - the problem disappears! The problem occurs also in M and S. I'm starting to think it is just intermittent.

Thanks for your responses and I would love if someone would test it on U1 or U2.

Dawn.

poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Sun 19-Dec-10 02:36 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Glenview, US

Hi Dawn,

Try this. When you are in U1 and U2 go into the shooting menu and check to see how you have set the remote control mode. In my case I have them set for two different things (One is 2s delay and the other is immediate release) so they naturally function differently.

The U1 and U2 settings save everything including the remote control mode. This goes back to my original recommendation. Once in each of the modes, go through the entire menu to see how you have set things up. Again, you may find that you have checked off some things that you may not have intended to save.

When I checked M and S on my camera it fired as directed.

I am curious to know how it goes.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Sun 19-Dec-10 07:42 AM
#6. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Gold Coast, AU

No I checked that first. I do want to use mirror up whenever I use the remote because I usually am looking for zero camera shake and I thought this was a great feature of the D7000 ... so I set that on day one for U1 and U2.

I'm wondering whether my ML-L3 is playing up. If it were to sometimes send 2 signals instead of one that could explain it. I did try a fresh battery in it but no difference. When I can get hold of a friend's ML-L3 I will try it on my camera. Might be after Christmas though.

I haven't posted on these forums before ... it is so great to have that resource out there - thanks for your interest and help!!!

Dawn.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 19-Dec-10 10:55 AM
3323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 19-Dec-10 11:00 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Welcome Dawn
As the other posters, I've just tried it set up as you have and it's fine. I doubt it's the remote ML-L3 as you say it is triggering the shutter. Try removing the camera battery, re-insert it and operate a two button reset. Then try again. You'll have to reset up the remote Mup options and any other setups you've lost.

Cheers

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Mike Buckley Registered since 22nd Aug 2010Sun 19-Dec-10 02:24 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 19-Dec-10 02:25 PM by Mike Buckley

US

>operate a two button reset. Then try again.
>You'll have to reset up the remote Mup options and any other
>setups you've lost.

Yikes!!!!!!!!! Before you use the two-button reset, save your settings file to the memory card stored in slot #1. After you do the two-button reset, load the settings file. You won't have to manually re-configure all of your settings.

Page 244 of the manual explains how to save and load your settings file.

Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sun 19-Dec-10 12:58 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Swisher, US

I was thinking a bad switch (bouncing) on the ML-3 when I first read your post. Program the remote for normal operation and see if you can detect multiple firings in that mode as well.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Sun 19-Dec-10 06:48 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Gold Coast, AU

Thanks all, I have tried the two button reset which didn't fix the problem, and tested the remote on quick release (no misfires detected). Looks like I will have to take the camera back to the shop.

I will post the outcome.

Dawn.

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Mon 20-Dec-10 03:04 AM
#11. "RE: D7000 remote mirror up problem"
In response to Reply # 10

Gold Coast, AU

Excellent - I took my problem to the friendly folk at Cameras Direct (thanks Janaka) and am now the proud owner of a new ML-L3 which works, and my D7000 is a perfect angel again.

Thanks again for all your input which contributed to a speedy resolution. I hope I can be of help to somebody else soon.

Dawn.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3523 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.