Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3496
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?" Previous topic | Next topic
pzsaul Registered since 08th Dec 2010Sat 18-Dec-10 02:52 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"

US

Hi everyone, a newbee here and plan on upgrading after playing the site for a few weeks. My question is I have all Nikon glass from my D80 a few AFD lens and some newer G lens also. I wanted to buy a new long lens for wildlife like a Sigma 150-500mm model and maybe use a Sigma 1.4 TC with it when needed.The reason for the choice was advantages of the D7000 and settings.
I read on one site that the new D7000 is the 1st model from Nikon that might have compatability issues with outside lens manufacturers like Sigma. Does anyone know about this? And any input on Sigma newest version (non recalled) of course 150-500mm model lens?
As an FYI I did email Sigma the question about this any they gave me a vague we are in testing right now with our lenses and the D7000. It will be posted on their site when done. OK where do you find that update I asked with no response from them.
But I do look forward to being on this site and learning more as I keep moving from 1 Nikon to the next in my life.
Thanks Dave

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?
briantilley Moderator
18th Dec 2010
Snapshott Silver Member
19th Dec 2010
bdirect
19th Dec 2010
DeanAZ Moderator
19th Dec 2010
Lempa
17th Apr 2012
jhubensc
17th Apr 2012
mudman2 Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
17th Apr 2012
NenBikonian
18th Apr 2012

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 18-Dec-10 03:09 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

The situation with Sigma lenses is not unique to the D7000. Several previous Nikons have resulted in Sigma needing to develop and issue a "firmware" fix for at least some of their lenses.

I believe this happens because Sigma choose to use "reverse engineering" to design the electrical interface of their lenses rather than take (and pay for) the relevant data from Nikon. When Nikon change something in the interface spec, Sigma have to respond. They invariably do, given time

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Sun 19-Dec-10 04:01 AM
396 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I have not had any Af problems with my Sigma 150mm macro or 10-20mm while shooting photos but neither of my lenses will AF correctly in live/video mode. I don't find this a problem since I will me manually focusing my Sigma 150 for macro shots anyway and don't intend to try to use the 10-20mm with AF in live view/video either.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bdirect Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Sun 19-Dec-10 08:05 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Hi- I own a three Sigma lenses and a D7000. The only problem lens that I have encountered issues with the D7K, is the new Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS. What was the issue...sporadic auto focus. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not, no particular regularity as to why there was an issue? I ended up taking the lens in personally to Gentec International, last week, our warranty service in Toronto Canada. They agreed that there probably was an issue and are fixing the lens? I hope they will contact me this week, especially because they will be closed for a week during Christmas holidays.
I will re-post to let you know the outcome.
What works on my D7K:
Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX Dc macro
Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 OS
Tokina 11-16 F2.8

Cheers from a different Brian

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 19-Dec-10 08:24 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I have a problem with my Sigma 10-20 F/4-5.6 DC HSM in live view with auto focus as previously noted. It works perfectly in normal autofocus, however.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Lempa Registered since 27th Oct 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 09:59 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 17-Apr-12 10:16 PM by Lempa

Malmö, SE

Hi!
I have the D7000 and a Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3 APO DG OS. Bought the lens 5 months ago, and have had no issues at all so far. Can't say much about that specific lens and problems with LV autofocus though since I have to 98% been using it with the viewfinder.

Good luck
/Timmy

Ed: Just noticed the thread was from dec, and I'm afraid I don't have any experience with the Sigma 24mm f1.8 as questioned below, sorry!

jhubensc Registered since 14th Jan 2009Tue 17-Apr-12 12:50 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Anyone here have experience with compatibility of D7000 and Sigma 24mm f1.8?

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 17-Apr-12 10:16 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 5

Jamison, US

I rented that lens, got my money back it would not work right

Not for me

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 17-Apr-12 11:21 PM
1771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I have D7000 and Sigma 8-16mm. No problems.

Tom

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Wed 18-Apr-12 01:31 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 and other brand lens compatability issues?"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

Realizing, of course, that I'm hijacking another's thread...

Anyone out there have experience with the older Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX APO HSM (non-DG) lens and the D7000? I believe there were some AF-ON compatibility issues with this lens and cameras which had this button (D200, D300, D700, etc) which required that the lens be rechipped. Anyone found any other issues with this one?

Thanks,
Ben

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3496 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.