Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3489
View in linear mode

Subject: "What do you think of this resolution?" Previous topic | Next topic
Sventek Registered since 23rd Dec 2007Sat 18-Dec-10 01:28 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What do you think of this resolution?"
Sat 18-Dec-10 01:29 PM by Sventek

Perth, AU

I made this as precise and scientific as I could, but I'd take this result with a grain of salt nonetheless. I set this card up so that it filled as much of the frame as possible with my Nikon 50mm 1.4G lens fitted to the D7000. Everything was as parallel and level as I could make it. I used an SB-600 flash mounted to the hot-shoe, with a subsidiary LED light to the right of the chart (which I think caused some lighting issues). The distance from the focal plane to the card itself was 0.625m (2'1"), measured by a laser. If anyone has any suggestions for improving the set-up, please let me know.

Here's the image itself:
http://sventekoz.smugmug.com/Other/Scratch/Chart/1130182288_Yvokz-XL.jpg

If you want to see it full-size (about 7.7Mb), you can have a look at: "http://sventekoz.smugmug.com/Other/Scratch/Chart/1130182288_Yvokz-O" Just add a .jpg to the end. I had to remove it so that a massive image wouldn't display.

Overall, I was very happy with the focusing, sharpness, and dynamic range on display. If you look at the full-size image, it's possible to see all the gradations in the area on the bottom-left.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 18-Dec-10 04:38 PM
11298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What do you think of this resolution?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 18-Dec-10 04:56 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Looks good!

It appears the camera out resolves the chart by a fair bit. You can easily make out fine detail in the half tone dots (and in the paper texture) that are smaller then the smallest lines on the chart.

Here are a couple 100% crops for anyone who may not want to download the full chart.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 18-Dec-10 04:41 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What do you think of this resolution?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Pretty incredible...

Thanks for shooting/posting...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Sventek Registered since 23rd Dec 2007Sat 18-Dec-10 11:00 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What do you think of this resolution?"
In response to Reply # 2

Perth, AU

Thanks guys. This is something I do whenever I get new glass or a new body, but I also wanted to see whether I was suffering from the poor focus problems that have been mentioned. By the way, this was shot at ISO 400.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3489 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.