Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3447
View in linear mode

Subject: "Having second thoughts about D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
srosengard Basic MemberFri 17-Dec-10 04:46 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Having second thoughts about D7000"

US

I was already to pull the trigger and purchase a D7000, but having second thoughts after reading some of the posts. Currently I have the D80 which is a wonderful camera. I consider myself a Amateur, hardly ever use Auto, Usually Apature priority or manual. From what I uderstand the D90 is close to End of life, so what do I purchase
I dont want to make a ourchase that I will regret.

Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Having second thoughts about D7000
pdekman Gold Member
17th Dec 2010
srosengard
17th Dec 2010
pdekman Gold Member
17th Dec 2010
chroaz Gold Member
17th Dec 2010
srosengard
17th Dec 2010
chroaz Gold Member
17th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
17th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
17th Dec 2010
hamjam Silver Member
23rd Dec 2010
srosengard
18th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
17th Dec 2010
srosengard
18th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
18th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
18th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
18th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Dec 2010
          Reply message RE: This is more right than wrong
Len Shepherd Gold Member
12th Feb 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
18th Dec 2010
po6ept
22nd Dec 2010
joelolo
22nd Dec 2010
beemerman2k Silver Member
24th Dec 2010
baines11 Silver Member
12th Feb 2011
               Reply message RE: Yes - and no
Len Shepherd Gold Member
12th Feb 2011

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Fri 17-Dec-10 05:10 PM
1006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

I've augmented my D200 with a D7000 and have no regrets - my copy is clean, sharp, focuses accurately and solves some of the issues I had taking indoor, low-light photographs. It also satisfied a desire I had for LiveView to accomplish macro and product photography easier along with a better LCD, video, etc.

What specifically is your D80 not able to accomplish and what are your concerns with the D7000 meeting those expecations?

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

srosengard Basic MemberFri 17-Dec-10 05:32 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

The biggest issue with the D80 is low-light situations, and I want higher MP. Which the D7K takes care of.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Fri 17-Dec-10 05:47 PM
1006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Swisher, US

If I remember correctly, the D80/D200 had the same 10MP sensor. From my perspective, the high ISO capability is remarkable and the resolution gain is noticeable. I'm predominately shooting with good glass and use good support for wildlife shots to take advantage of the increased resolution. However, my recent shots of a band concert in a high-school gymnasium came out well too. ISO3200 and handheld.

Paul

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Fri 17-Dec-10 05:13 PM
599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Cave Creek, US

You will find the D7K To be a wonderful camera too - with plenty of evidence in these forums to back that claim up too. Arguably it is one of the best cameras Nikon has made - a wonderful tool for enthusiastic photographers to take their craft to another level using some of the many extraordinary performance capabilities of this camera.

I cannot recommend it more highly - but there is a learning curve, which is half the fun!

Enjoy!

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

srosengard Basic MemberFri 17-Dec-10 05:36 PM
#4. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Chris, you mentioned "Learning Curve" which I totally forgot, the Learning Curve I faced when I first went Digital with the D70. I was able to master the D70 and D80, why cant I master the D7K. I really appreciate your comments
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
STeve

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Fri 17-Dec-10 06:04 PM
599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Cave Creek, US

Steve, well, of course you can / will! And you'll find its low light/ low noise performance opens up all sorts of shooting situations/settings you may have avoided, or set up differently, before.

Very fast and accurate AF too, but some changes in position and operation of some of the controls (AF mode etc, for example) take a bit of getting used to.

I think the scene modes are an add-on I don't personally use and could do without, but the U1 and U2 settings are very useful (would have liked 4 of them though) - as they truly do store "all" settings you might want - much better than the old custom "Bank" system.

Chris

Happy Holidays!

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 17-Dec-10 09:34 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

One of the problems whenever any new camera is released is that the internet is alive with reported problems about the camera. Most of them are simply reflective of not spending enough time getting to learn the new camera before blaming it for what turns out to be unintentional user error.

Be aware that the extra resolution and pixel density when used right will produce sharper more detailed photos, however it also is less forgiving of errors like camera shake. If you use good technique and don't try and hand hold shots at way under acceptable shutter speeds you will be fine.

The d7k is the best DX camera on the market right now, and can even play in high ISO situations with some of the FX big boys for way less money. I have been very happy with mine and I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

Jason

p.s. For comparisons, I am far from a pro or expert photographer, photography is a casual and beloved hobby for me.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 17-Dec-10 10:21 PM
3078 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 17-Dec-10 10:26 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

You probably will not find a stronger critic on this forum than I when I initially purchased my D7K. The threads are endless. However, I had a faulty camera, (to a few of the other posters reading this "oh yes I did") not just soft but some times out of focus. I took it back for a replacement and although not everything was well initially although much better just soft, I battled on with the help of the folks on here.

I've cracked it now and I am really starting to enjoy the camera very much. I bought it almost exclusively for wildlife and BIF and now it's becoming more than that. Personally, 4-5 weeks ago I would have said avoid the D7K, now I would'nt be so critical. I wasn't too pleased with the fact that I had to work quite so hard to get it right, but that perseverance has certainly paid off now.

There are those who will, with the best intentions, say some of us critics were lesser photographers and lack of knowledge played a part. To a very small degree that is "perhaps" true but out of focus is out of focus, no arguement, but if you want a camera that will give you so much more than your D80, then I am saying look no further. There was a time a few weeks ago that hell would have frozen over before I would say that.

I hope that helps.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Thu 23-Dec-10 06:52 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Lincoln, US

Richard,

Seeing your post on using your new D7K for wildlife and birds, have you found the rather slow buffer to be problem. I say slow buffer, due to my experience in comparing my new D7K to my old D300 shooting in CH mode.

Your thoughts?

Jim

Visit `My Nikonians gallery` WWW.JMHAMMONDPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.

srosengard Basic MemberSat 18-Dec-10 03:23 AM
#11. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I fully understand camera shake, thats why we have VR Lens and Tri-pods. In do not believe camera shake as OUT of Focus. In the old film days before Auto-focus, You had the same problem. I think we are saying the same thing. Thanks again
Happy Holidays

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 17-Dec-10 11:32 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I was using a D70s and getting great shots but wanted additional features such as more pixels and better ISO. I had thought seriously about the D300s until a pro who was shooting @ a football game suggested I should consider the 7k. I researched as best I could and made the decision to go with the 7k. NO REGRETS! The sharpness, resolution, quickness are everything that has been written said they would be. People who make their money by reviewing have given this camera high marks and rightly so.
Some of the posts may have scared you somewhat and that can be understandable. However, after really learning and using the camera, I believe the people who made those same posts would now tell you it's a great camera and will become better once they fully understand the camera's technological advancements.
Question - Are you willing to devote adequate time to learn more about proper use of any camera beyond a point and shoot? Certainly you are because the D80 is not a point and shoot. Imo, since you use modes other than Auto, you have better than half the battle won. If you have the desire, then your hoped for results can be achieved. Nikon will stand by their product but will you stay the course to become a better photographer? People don't get better at anything by just thinking about it. Good luck in whatever direction you decide to take.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

srosengard Basic MemberSat 18-Dec-10 03:13 AM
#10. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks John, the more I think about it, I didnt lean the D70 or D80 overnight, it took time, and lots of wasted shots. Thats the beauty of digital, wasted shots cost you NOTHING. Thanks again and Happy holidays.

Steve

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 18-Dec-10 03:42 AM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

A few suggestions...

Whether you shoot RAW or Best size/quality JPEG, you can set your in-camera sharpening up to 6 or 7 (factory has it set around 3). You can also set the Active-DLighting to High, and gain 2 stops of detail in highlights, without any loss of image quality.

Turn OFF High ISO noise reduction and Turn off long exposure NR as well. I have found them unnecessary, but your experience could be different...

Take your time in shooting to see how the camera behaves. I used a D80/D200 before the D7000.

The D7000 is incredible. The shutter is very quiet (in normal mode!) the sensor is very revealing. I found the transition from the D200 to the D7000 pretty seamless. You will find the D7000 feels more solid than the D80. There are a ton of features (many of which I haven't used because I haven't opened the manual yet).

The focus system is more advanced than what you're coming from, but the options on the D7000 seem more similar to the D80 than the D200. Also, the high ISO capability is miles ahead of the D80.

In the end, it's a camera. Keep that in perspective, and in all likelihood you'll make some great images.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 18-Dec-10 12:08 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

Kingston, CA

>You can also set the Active-DLighting to High, and
>gain 2 stops of detail in highlights, without any loss of
>image quality.

That can't be! If the camera is able to gain 2 stops of detail in highlights at no expense to other image quality attributes, Nikon would have shipped it that way. There must be a trade-off, no?

Peter

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 18-Dec-10 12:37 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 13
Sat 18-Dec-10 12:47 PM by billD80

US

>>You can also set the Active-DLighting to High, and
>>gain 2 stops of detail in highlights, without any loss of
>>image quality.
>
>That can't be! If the camera is able to gain 2 stops of
>detail in highlights at no expense to other image quality
>attributes, Nikon would have shipped it that way. There must
>be a trade-off, no?
>
>Peter

I think even the DPRieview documented this increase. If there's a trade off, I haven't seen it. It seems to me that with their "higher-end" units, Nikon presets are VERY conservative. The Sharpening on a D7000 can EASILY be raised quite a bit, with no downside...

I seem to recall the factory preset of the D200 was Medium size/Quality JPEG, not full-size and not RAW.

But as to the Active-DLighting, I could be wrong, but the shots I've seen in reviews (Rockwell did some with the D300) it was awfully difficult to see a downside. Perhaps contrast needs to be watched...

BTW, ACTIVE-DL in camera apparently ISN'T the same thing as the D-Lighting added in Capture NX2...

Check this out re: the D3/D300:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/dynamic-range.htm

And then this: http://sportsphotoguy.com/active-d-lighting-on-the-nikon-d300/

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 22-Dec-10 12:56 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Kingston, CA

>I think even the DPRieview documented this increase. If
>there's a trade off, I haven't seen it. It seems to me that
>with their "higher-end" units, Nikon presets are
>VERY conservative.

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Why would they preset the camera to some lower dynamic range setting? The camera manufacturers are very competitive and are trying to squeeze every single bit of performance they can during engineering design. There must be a downside to this setting.

>The Sharpening on a D7000 can EASILY be
>raised quite a bit, with no downside...

I can quickly think of three huge downsides: Increased noise at high ISO settings. No option for selective sharpening in post. Reduced options for output sharpening.

>(Rockwell

Ken has some good stuff on his web site and a whole lot of not so good stuff on his web site. I'm not sure what your experience has been but I tend to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Peter

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 22-Dec-10 06:27 PM
#17. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 16

US

>>I think even the DPRieview documented this increase. If
>>there's a trade off, I haven't seen it. It seems to me
>that
>>with their "higher-end" units, Nikon presets
>are
>>VERY conservative.
>
>Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Why would they preset
>the camera to some lower dynamic range setting? The camera
>manufacturers are very competitive and are trying to squeeze
>every single bit of performance they can during engineering
>design. There must be a downside to this setting.

Well when you find it, let me know. Perhaps noise in darker aspects of an image could be inroduced, but I haven't found this.

The fact is Nikon has set their contrast and sharpening settings lower than Canon for years... I seem to recall a review or two saying this very thing way back when the D80/D200 cycle were released. Nikon seemed to assume more deliberate PP by the user. JPEGs straight from the camera were softer than competitors...

>
>>The Sharpening on a D7000 can EASILY be
>>raised quite a bit, with no downside...
>
>I can quickly think of three huge downsides: Increased noise
>at high ISO settings. No option for selective sharpening in
>post. Reduced options for output sharpening.

I'm saying this from actually using the D7000. The factory level of sharpening can easily be raised (at least to 6), with no downside...

>>(Rockwell
>Ken has some good stuff on his web site and a whole lot of not
>so good stuff on his web site.

I never liked KR's review of Sigma lenses because I thought they were skewed. I also disagree with his tendency to only shoot JPEG's. But his DSLR guides are free and cut right to the chase. His experience of the D7000 matches what I'm seeing to a 't'.

Bill

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 12-Feb-11 08:52 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: This is more right than wrong"
In response to Reply # 12

Yorkshire, GB

>You can also set the Active-DLighting to High, and gain 2 stops of detail in highlights, without any loss of
>image quality.
This is more right than wrong.
Nikon's guidance at UK pro events is, when faced with a high dynamic range subject, set D lighting at the taking stage and shoot RAW.
The Nikon logic is using D lighting at the taking stage exposes for the highlight detail (in effect slightly under exposing) and 2 stops shadow detail can easily be brought out because the detail is there. I prefer to say "brought out" rather than "recovered" because, in RAW, extra shadow detail is usually there.
What you cannot do using DLighting in NX2 for post processing is recover burned out highlight detail in RAW - because once burned out the highlight detail does not exist.
Relatively few subjects have more than 8-9 stops dynamic range.
12 stops DR is ranging from sunlight coming through a small window to areas of dark tones in deep shadow inside a building.
Many DSLR's can record around 12 stops EV at lower ISO's.
Photographic glossy paper cannot record more than 9 stops, matt paper more than 8 stops, and quite a few monitors cannot display 12 stops even when accurately calibrated.
There has to be some contraction of tone detail to get 12 stops recorded into papers 9 stops.
Using D lighting at the shooting stage increases the chance of recording 12 stops DR in a 12 stop DR subject without getting any burned out highlight detail.
It is then up to the photographer to decide which tones to compress to fit the 12 stops recorded DR onto 9 stop gloss paper.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 18-Dec-10 03:54 PM
4088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

>I was already to pull the trigger and purchase a D7000, but
>having second thoughts after reading some of the posts.
>Currently I have the D80 which is a wonderful camera. I
>consider myself a Amateur, hardly ever use Auto, Usually
>Apature priority or manual. From what I uderstand the D90 is
>close to End of life, so what do I purchase
>I dont want to make a ourchase that I will regret.
>
>Steve

Hi Steve,

I don't think there's any need for second thoughts, the D7000 is a great set of features/value and Nikon's best DX sensor. I've been away from the forum this week and I see there are still some problems being discussed but the D7K is a LOT of camera that takes some learning of it's features but that doesn't make it a bad camera IMHO.

You are shooting aperture priority and manual so clearly you have a good grasp of shooting in which case the D7K will probably still challenge your shot discipline but you have the experience to deal with it.

I've had mine for a little over a month and am really enjoying it. Still lots to learn for me. I think if you approach this camera from a learning perspective you will enjoy the journey!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

po6ept Registered since 27th Nov 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 08:59 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Peoria, US

Other than the minor video problem that Nikon just fixed, I've had no trouble at all with the D7000. I'm not yet getting the kind of shots that I got with the D90, but that's because I haven't developed a feel for my new tools. I suspect you'd go through the same thing with either camera. Whichever you choose, you'll have to read the manual and learn the layout.

My opinion after 30 days: The D7000 is excellent. It was worth the money and improves on the D90 in both big and small ways.

Bob
Phoenix, AZ

joelolo Registered since 06th Dec 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 11:59 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Hi I'm new here and first time commenting.

I've had my D7k since late Oct. and right out of the box I charged the battery in my truck while on my way to some surfing spots.

Used Aperture priority and started shooting one of my surfers. I have to say that this is the best investment that I have made in a camera.

I've owned the D70,D40x,D50 and D60 and but I just love the image quality of the D7k right from of the start. Though I have found that I get better quality using prime lenses as with 16mp I can see things about my zooms that I could not with my other cameras. I always loved my 70-300 AF-S Vr II but I cant seem to get the descent images as I did with my D50-60. But I do have a 300mm af f/4 prime which is so much better then the zoom and crisper.

At first I thought that the images were too soft but after boosting sharping in camera and a little in LR3 they come out pretty good. And when shooting raw its even better.

But there is a learning curve as many on Nikonians will tell you. And I have much more to learn about this camera!

I tried the D80 too but like the D7k better.If you get it you will love it!

Here are some samples from my site:
http://www.lahainaphotography.net/Photography/NikonD7000samples/14801264_H4irX#1134253188_FLXVx

Oh and Merry Christmas to everyone!

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Fri 24-Dec-10 02:15 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 19

Ellington, US

I'm a happy man. Just got home with my new D7000. Charging the battery at this very moment while I peruse the owners manual.

Looking forward to a great time!

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

baines11 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2011Sat 12-Feb-11 01:10 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Having second thoughts about D7000"
In response to Reply # 27

US

There is a definite learning curve if you are upgrading from another Nikon. Buy it and stick with it, the flexibility is amazing!

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 12-Feb-11 09:10 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Yes - and no"
In response to Reply # 28

Yorkshire, GB

>There is a definite learning curve if you are upgrading from another Nikon.
Set the left hand dial to P, the ISO to 800 - and shoot
For someone coming from say a D70 there is a huge culture shock no longer having a keyhole size viewfinder, auto focus several generations ahead, colour and resolution obviously better etc - but the first step is take some good pictures.
Then explore all the options.
Digressing to birds in flight this is advanced technique work ideally requiring advanced AF settings together with plenty of experience using advanced equipment.
Going from a D70 with an 18-55 to say a D7000 with a 300mm and expecting your purchase to instantly make you an excellent bird photographer is unrealistic.
Whichever camera and lens (or golf club) you use becoming an expert photographer, like becoming an expert golfer, requires practice.
Usually the learning curve has more to do with wanting to use new and better equipment to do more advanced photography than basic photography.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3447 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.