Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3416
View in linear mode

Subject: "L-bracket trouble with D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
JazzDoc Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Fri 17-Dec-10 01:57 AM
376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"L-bracket trouble with D7000"

Rochester, US

I thought it worthwhile passing along a warning--L-brackets from both Really Right Stuff and Kirk are not quite "ready for prime time" I'm afraid. I have always put one on my DSLRs, and this one, which I bought for my wife, could use one as well--great for tripod flexibility.
The RRS version did not have sufficient room under the side part of the bracket to open the connector doors at all. After returning it, I tried again. The Kirk version has sufficient dimples in the side bracket to get to the door nubbits, but the the door does not open fully as it is blocked by the L-bracket member on the opposite side. Yikes! I tried both and failed--now what??

Gary Paige

my gallery

www.frontpaige-photography.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: L-bracket trouble with D7000
JPJ Silver Member
17th Dec 2010
JazzDoc Gold Member
17th Dec 2010
meadowlark Silver Member
17th Dec 2010
JazzDoc Gold Member
17th Dec 2010
meadowlark Silver Member
17th Dec 2010

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 17-Dec-10 02:11 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: L-bracket trouble with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I have the RRS one and I can get the connector door to open, although it doesn't open fully. It's functional, but barely.

The good thing about the RRS version is that it is two parts so you can remove that part of the bracket, have better access to the ports and still have a camera plate on your camera.

The Arca-Swiss L-Bracket is adjustable and may be an even better solution as you can just slide it out of the way when you need to access the ports.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JazzDoc Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Fri 17-Dec-10 11:50 AM
376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: L-bracket trouble with D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Rochester, US

I agree that it is possible to use these brackets, but not without undue trouble. I have L brackets on several other bodies used over the years, and this current problem is unique. I don't mind paying the freight for terrific products, but to have to make adjustments in the mount, take it apart, etc., just to get around a design bug is not the desirable outcome. These brackets should fit snugly, efficiently, and properly for their expressed function. I'll call the two companies about this. Perhaps in the meantime a simple bracket for horizontal use will have to do.

Gary Paige

my gallery

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 17-Dec-10 02:13 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: L-bracket trouble with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

Actually, I think it is a Nikon design problem. D300 has the connector for cable release on the front of the camera. I have been using the Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control on my D7000

JazzDoc Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Fri 17-Dec-10 03:24 PM
#4. "RE: L-bracket trouble with D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Rochester, US

You are correct. I just spoke with the folks at Kirk, and they pointed out that the rubber side doors on the D7000 are too large for the Arca-Swiss system, unlike other bodies I have. Why in the world did Nikon do that--there must be an alternative while fitting connectors in place. Now we have a problem, given that the remote control (non-IR) will need access to the side panel of connectors, which means adjusting the L-bracket in order to use it properly. Ouch. I'm thinking of modifying the rubber doors to allow them to bend easier while still protecting the connectors.

Gary Paige

my gallery

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 17-Dec-10 04:52 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: L-bracket trouble with D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Springfield, US

Problem with your idea is that you still need to adjust the L-Bracket for the cable release to bend.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3416 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.