Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3385
View in linear mode

Subject: "The answer from Nikon to my question re error message....." Previous topic | Next topic
z06kenny Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Thu 16-Dec-10 03:32 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The answer from Nikon to my question re error message..."

Sacramento, US

When using my D7000 with my Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 zoom, I noticed that the control panel would flash "r1000" when I depressed the shutter release button 1/2 way. So, I asked Nikon about it and here is their answer:
"The R XX that is appearing on the screen refers to the buffer capacity, it does not mean that the memory card is full. The “rXX” count displayed on the top LCD is an estimate of the number of frames that the camera’s buffer can record without writing any to the memory card. It’s only an estimate because the size of a compressed JPEG file varies due to camera settings and subject matter.

Digital SLR "r06" (or other number) in LCD display
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6905 "

I thought that you all would be interested in their answer because, if you are like me, you wouldn't be able to find the answer elsewhere either.

Thank you, Nikonians!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 03:54 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The answer from Nikon to my question re error message..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-Dec-10 04:00 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

If you'd asked here, we'd have given a similar answer, except perhaps for two things:

r1000 sounds very unlikely, as the camera's internal buffer is not likely to be able to store 1000 images

and

r1000 sounds impossible, because the display has only 2 digits.

When you half-press the shutter release, the number of shots which can be stored in the internal buffer is shown. This is the case with all (watch someone correct me) Nikon DSLRs and does not depend on the lens that's attached.

If you're really seeing r1000, maybe someone else can help.

Chris

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 16-Dec-10 04:11 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The answer from Nikon to my question re error message..."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You might want to look at page 320 of your D7000 user manual. The maximum images in the camera buffer is 100 for Jpeg Basic. You may also find pages 38 & 79 informative.

I have found that downloading the PDF of my camera manual makes searches within the manual easier than trying to skim the pages.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 16-Dec-10 06:00 PM
28744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The answer from Nikon to my question re error message..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-Dec-10 06:01 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

As has been pointed out, it's not possible to see an "r1000" display in the control panel. The buffer maximum is 100 shots, and the display (after the "r") has only two digits anyway. As Nikon Support suggested, it's not an error message.

Page 38 in the D7000 manual explains what this display means

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3385 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.