Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3383
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus" Previous topic | Next topic
tsitalon1 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Thu 16-Dec-10 01:56 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus"

US

Hey guys,

I've been using a Canon 1000d for a few years now and just got my D7000 with 35mm 1.8 lens.

I used Ray Soares' suggested settings, minus the EV compensation as I couldn't find that particular setting. Shot Jpg with Sharpness at +7

Here are a few High ISO pics. I don't enjoy flash so most of my focus is on available lighting. These seem a bit dull, maybe because of using the "neutral" setting. If camera is on vivid the color pop much more.

What do you guys think of the focus and noise?

ISO 2200 1/160 3.2
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_C4Ord-MWjFQ/TQn3WDdKkeI/AAAAAAAAJes/lRiHozJMW-8/s800/_DSC0430.JPG

ISO 160 1/80 1.8
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_C4Ord-MWjFQ/TQn3Kt0QeTI/AAAAAAAAJek/AJrvK0NZc5A/s800/_DSC0345.JPG

ISO 6400 1/160 2.8
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_C4Ord-MWjFQ/TQn3kJW_08I/AAAAAAAAJe8/u7EcwRY2IPI/s800/_DSC0474.JPG

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus
ericbowles Moderator
16th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
tsitalon1
16th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
waxart
16th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
               Reply message Need a little help playing with RAW...
tsitalon1
17th Dec 2010
                    Reply message RE: Need a little help playing with RAW...
briantilley Moderator
17th Dec 2010

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 16-Dec-10 04:07 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I don't see any issues. Shooting with available light at ISO 6400 and having an image you can share or print is pretty remarkable. What's more, you have the capability of processing out noise even further.

The EV compensation buttonis right behind the shutter release ontop of the camera. There are some reports of blowing out highlights in bright light and that would be the time to dial in some negative exposure compensation based onthe histogram or "blinkies". I would not set it routinely for negative exposure compensation as you will find images underexposed - and that creates noise.

Your sharpening being set on +7 is a good move and probably would eliminate most reports of focus problems. This camera and some of the others might be a little light on sharpening at the default settings for picture controls other than Landscape.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 16-Dec-10 04:33 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-Dec-10 04:37 PM by billD80

US

>I used Ray Soares' suggested settings, minus the EV
>compensation as I couldn't find that particular setting. Shot
>Jpg with Sharpness at +7

Leave the Sharpness at +7, and by and large, forget the EV Compensation. The idea that the D7000 may tend to over-expose brightly lit, high contrast scenes, is not well founded at all. I haven't touched the EV once (except for deliberate +/- shots done for HDR).

>Here are a few High ISO pics. These seem a bit dull,
>maybe because of using the "neutral" setting.

They're a little "dull" because the lighting on the subject matter isn't all that exciting. Also, try moving in on your subjects to avoid "snapshots". The color rendition looks very accurate. VIVID will give more pop, but it won't be as accurate. If you take a lot of people, use the Portrait setting, and save it to U2 on your Mode Dial. Also, you can turn on the ADR and gain a few stops dynamic range... I've used it on High without any negative effects...

>What do you guys think of the focus and noise?

The focus looks dead-on, and the images look noise free. You have a camera that pretty much blows the doors off anything in the price range, so start making some pictures in some decent light.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

tsitalon1 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Thu 16-Dec-10 04:51 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks so much guys!

Yeah these were the very first photos I took. First I performed a focus test, and the 35mm lens required 5mm of fine adjustment to get it were I wanted it. I love this feature!

I bought the camera locally and had to wait 2 days for my lens to come in (sold my old canon stuff, so I had no lenses. The lens came in at night, so I took high ISO living room / kichen shots.

I cannot wait to see what it can do in the basketball/gymnastics categories.

Thanks again for your Feedback!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 16-Dec-10 05:40 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>
>I cannot wait to see what it can do in the
>basketball/gymnastics categories.

Try it outdoors too, in indirect daylight, on some of the people you captured earlier!

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 16-Dec-10 07:16 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

Hello James,

Welcome to the community. I believe you will be very surprised with the results at the gym. I have an 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 with the camera set on vivid, auto WB, 6 sharpening, with ISO min. shutter 400 and max 3200 and have gotten some great shots. I did do some bracketing EV just to compare and wasn't enough to tell. Good luck with your new toy.

Regards,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Thu 16-Dec-10 07:35 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus"
In response to Reply # 5

Vallejo, US

Hi James:

The exposure seems pretty good in the first two, but the Christmas tree is definitely lacking in contrast - too much fill in the shadows. Noise isn't bad for these high ISOs. If you look at the woman's hand holding the spoon at 100%, it's actually covered in noise and the 6400 shot has large clumped areas due to noise reduction. It's always difficult to balance Sharpness with NR. I personally prefer to turn off both in camera and apply NR in Camera Raw and use a sharpen filter in Photoshop, but I'm an acknowledged pixel-peeper, so please forgive my pickiness!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 16-Dec-10 08:22 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 First few shots judging noise and focus"
In response to Reply # 6

US

If
>you look at the woman's hand holding the spoon at 100%, it's
>actually covered in noise

100% of a highly compressed, downsized JPEG...

tsitalon1 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Fri 17-Dec-10 01:33 PM
#8. "Need a little help playing with RAW..."
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 17-Dec-10 03:17 PM by tsitalon1

US

I have PSE 8 and ViewNX2. I really don't like viewNX2, but PSE 8 doesn't seem to support the D7000 raw files. I don't think there is an update to address that. I keep seeing reference to ACR, but my camera raw plugin for PSE 8 is 5.x.

I usually only shoot Jpg, because I hate the hassle of shooting Raw. I would like to try Raw, but I need an inexpensive and time efficient method of importing pics, applying minor tweaks, and converting to Jpg all automatically. I do not have time to look over thousands a pictures every few months.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I mainly shoot family events activities

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 17-Dec-10 02:10 PM
28731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Need a little help playing with RAW..."
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

You'll need ACR version 6.3, which has recently been released and includes D7000 NEF support. It is available as a download from your local Adobe website.

Check out our Adobe Software Forum for more information on Elements, and our Nikon Software Forum for NX2

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3383 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.