Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #33628
View in linear mode

Subject: "A Basic Question about Focusing" Previous topic | Next topic
WillieKat Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jul 2011Sun 20-Apr-14 11:50 PM
111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A Basic Question about Focusing"

San Diego, US

In the ebook The Nikon D7000 Experience, the author writes about "the focus point" as if you can select a particular point by moving the multiselector button and locking in the focus on that single point. I don't see any way to do this. He says to set the Mode Dial to P (does this only work in P?). Depress the shutter halfway, then looking through the viewfinder use the MultiSelector to select the focus point that is nearest to where you want to focus and place that point where you want to focus. Then lock in the focus. Does this make sense?

For me, when pressing down the shutter button halfway, the points appear, flashh red then black and disappear, so there doesn't appear any way to select one or any of them since they have just disappeared. When I want to focus on my dog's eyes at 15 feet away, I am unable to this. The points could be anywhere in the direction of the dog, on her tail even, but that doesn't mean the eyes are in focus. Today I was using my 55-300mm lens with AF selected on the body and A selected on the lens. The camera was set to AF-S and the AF area mode was set to a single point. What am I doing wrong?

I have been taking photos that seem to be in focus with the camera, seemingly in spite of where the focus points end up being precisely. But being unable to get more accurate with where I want the focus to be doesn't seem right. Short of using manual focus, is there a way to do this?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A Basic Question about Focusing
kentak Silver Member
21st Apr 2014
WillieKat Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014
JosephK Silver Member
21st Apr 2014
WillieKat Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014
agitater Gold Member
21st Apr 2014
WillieKat Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014
WillieKat Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014
elec164 Silver Member
22nd Apr 2014

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 21-Apr-14 07:49 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A Basic Question about Focusing"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 21-Apr-14 07:51 AM by kentak

US

Just to clarify, I assume you're not shooting in Auto (green icon) mode. What exposure mode(s) are you using when this issue occurs? When you push in the focus mode button on the side of the camera, what exactly is displayed in the control panel?

Kent

WillieKat Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jul 2011Tue 22-Apr-14 03:00 PM
111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A Basic Question about Focusing"
In response to Reply # 1

San Diego, US

No, I wasn't in Auto. As the author suggested I was in P.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 21-Apr-14 09:27 AM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A Basic Question about Focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

To choose many of the focus settings, you need to be NOT in "auto" exposure mode nor in any of the scene modes. Try M, S, A, or P.

From there pick AF-S or AF-C for the focus mode.
Then pick an AF area: single or d-9 or d-21 (not "auto-area" or 3D ).
Then you can use the 4-way rocker switch to move your chosen focus point.

The metering system needs to be active to change the focus points, so if the camera goes into stand-by mode you may need to tap the shutter release to bring the camera back to life before moving the focus point.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

WillieKat Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jul 2011Tue 22-Apr-14 03:18 PM
#5. "RE: A Basic Question about Focusing"
In response to Reply # 2

San Diego, US

After I posted my question here, I had played around with the focus mode and inadvertently seem to have fixed the problem. i now see a single focus point that I can maneuver with the multiselector. I do understand that I can't be in Auto or scene modes to adjust this. Part of the problem. was that I also was confusing the focus area modes with the metering modes. Now this makes more sense. I never had a problem about this with my D90 that I bought used, maybe It was just set up with the single point and I never needed to adjust it. The default settings must not use the single point focus? I am reading instruction manuals more carefully with my D7K than I ever did with the D90, enough to confuse me! But I am learning more all the time.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 21-Apr-14 11:59 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A Basic Question about Focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

You also have to move the focus Lock switch, otherwise the rear multiselector can't change the focus point.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

WillieKat Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jul 2011Tue 22-Apr-14 03:20 PM
#6. "RE: A Basic Question about Focusing"
In response to Reply # 3

San Diego, US

The focus lock switch was not locked, but I can see that that would be a problem.

WillieKat Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jul 2011Tue 22-Apr-14 03:36 PM
#7. "RE: A Basic Question about Focusing"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Thank you for your replies and taking my question seriously. I feel pretty silly even to have to ask such a basic question. Am I right that I am seeing the METERING points in the viewfinder when I press the Focus mode button and turn the subcommand dial, and when I let go of the button I am seeing the FOCUS point?

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 22-Apr-14 03:53 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A Basic Question about Focusing"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 22-Apr-14 03:53 PM by elec164

US

Not exactly. Holding in the focus mode button and rotating the sub-command dial toggles you between Single Point and Auto focus mode.

As to metering, the focus point will play a different role depending upon the metering setting.

In Matrix metering the the whole frame is analyzed with a biasing of what the focus point is on. In Center-weight metering the focus point plays no role in the analyzation and only the center spot selected in the menus is used. In Spot metering, the focus point will be the metered area, and the rest of the frame is ignored.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #33628 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.