Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3336
View in linear mode

Subject: "CHANGING ACTIVE FOCUS POINT" Previous topic | Next topic
gjdaus Registered since 15th Dec 2010Wed 15-Dec-10 06:47 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CHANGING ACTIVE FOCUS POINT"

AU

Hi All,

I was just about to buy a new D7000, but after trying one at the local retailer, I realised that you don't seem to be able to change the active focus point using the main / sub command dials.

Trying to change the active focus point using the rear multi-selector while viewing the subject through the viewfinder is very awkward and inconvenient as your face is up against the multi-selector.

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure the D7000 so that the main and sub command dials can be used to cycle through and select the active focus point?
This is a standard option on the Canon 550D and the 7D.

Many thanks for your help.

GJD

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Changing Active Focus Point
ericbowles Moderator
15th Dec 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
15th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
15th Dec 2010
rasworth
15th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
gjdaus
16th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
wordwizrd
16th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Dec 2010
output555 Silver Member
16th Dec 2010

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 15-Dec-10 11:01 AM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 15-Dec-10 11:03 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Hi Graham - Welcometo Nikonians

I don't think it is possible to setup the Nikon cameras so the main and sub command dials are used to move the AF focus point.

Nikon cameras use the main and sub command dials for your aperture and shutter speed controls, and there is not an alternate way to make those selections. As a result, programming those dials for alternate functions would require a dedicated AF button to be used concurrently. There is no such button right now and I don't think that can be programmed by the user.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Wed 15-Dec-10 05:40 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 1

US

You change the active point in real time with the cursor, no?
Trivial.
D.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 15-Dec-10 06:22 PM
28729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>You change the active point in real time with the cursor, no?

If you read Graham's original post, he says he finds that operation difficult with the camera up to his face. I'm guessing that he uses his left eye at the viewfinder.

Sadly, as Eric says the Multi-Selector is the only option for moving the active AF point

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

rasworth Basic MemberWed 15-Dec-10 06:56 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 3

Austin, US

Yes, I know a couple of left eye shooters. They have multiple problems with Nikon DSLRs, including not being able to easily wedge their thumb in to operate the AF-ON button, with the result being they don't use the AF-ON only method for focusing. Too bad Nikon doesn't make a mirror image version.

Richard Southworth

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 03:57 AM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

I am a left-eyed (but right-handed) shooter and I manage to use the rear multiple-selector to move the focus point. I like the idea of what the OP describes though. I guess there is the occasional Canon feature I wouldn't mind having

I will admit though that my nose inadvertently moves the focus point sometimes if I am not careful.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 16-Dec-10 05:01 AM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 16-Dec-10 02:00 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I use left eye, right hand and have no problem with the selector.
I lock it after I've made the selection.
My problem is nose smudges on the LCD.
Using my right eye would require a major diopter adjustment, thus I could no longer trade off with my wife.
Try moving your face back an inch so you can get your finger on the selector.
You could also try a loupe and/or shoot with LCD.
The + magnifier makes very accurate focusing possible.

gjdaus Registered since 15th Dec 2010Thu 16-Dec-10 08:19 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 6

AU

Hi All,

Many thanks to all those who have replied to my query - your answers are very much appreciated.

I've been a "left eye" shooter all my photographic life (B&W cameras, Olympus OM2, digital P&S culminating in Canon G7, and this is the first time I've wished I could shoot with either eye.

It's a real pity that the function button on the D7000 couldn't be programmed to provide a "Set Focus point" function in conjunction with the main & sub command dials. I wonder if there is a way to input suggestions to Nikon?

I'll have another trial run on the D7000 using the right eye and see how comfortable it is. Otherwise it's the Canon 7D.

Thanks again for all your help.

GJD

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 16-Dec-10 12:12 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 16-Dec-10 12:24 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Oh No not a 7D!

In the Canon forum most of the 7D shooters are switching to a 5D2 or D7000. Both have their problems too. Go to a camera shop and play with all the cameras before you decide.

I did not find the focus point selection any better on the "Dark Side".
I switched from the 5D2 to the D7000 and like everything better except it is not FullFrame.

I will be adding a D800 or D4 whichever comes out first to replace one of my aging D3 bodies next year.

f2 You can use the OK button in shooting mode to reset the focus point to the center.
f3 you can assign the Fn button to center weighted metering.
f4 Assign preview button to Center weighted metering

wordwizrd Registered since 24th Nov 2010Thu 16-Dec-10 12:14 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 7

US

left-eye shooter also. never had a problem with the focus point selector on nikon d1, d1x, d2h, d2x, d700 or d7000. now, the d300 is quite a different matter ... and this happens only with that model: my nose often hits the focus point selector and gives me unwanted focus point changes. i have to remember to select my point and lock it ... but only with that camera. of all the cameras i have used, i like that selector pad best on the d7000. it has a nice firm, controllable feel to it. when working with gloves or mittens (a must many months in these northern NY mountains) it's easy to press that pad too hard or in the wrong direction. the d7000 is the only camera i've had that does not cause this problem with gloved hands.

same experience with the shutter release. firm and controllable. even though my camera is always on continuous, i find it very easy to shoot single frames, even during the rush of action situations

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 12:46 PM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 9

Alberta, CA

You raise a good point Patric!

OP - I was probably thinking about my D300 when I talked about nose moving the focus point (I have both D300 and D7000 and thinking back a couple weekends where this occurred yes I believe it was only with the D300). Hmmm another reason to like my D7K more and more

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Thu 16-Dec-10 12:15 PM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Changing Active Focus Point"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Ha! I've been shooting left-eye/right-hand all my life and never thought about this as "different" until I read this post. I feel so inadequate.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3336 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.