Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #33152
View in linear mode

Subject: "Specs on pictures but not lense?" Previous topic | Next topic
tmaxxracer32 Registered since 01st Feb 2014Sat 15-Mar-14 05:48 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Specs on pictures but not lense?"
Sat 15-Mar-14 05:50 AM by tmaxxracer32

US

Hey I noticed the other day that I have specs on my images... so I went to clean the lens, filter, inside the lens and inside the camera body... still have the specs on my camera.

You can see in these pictures the gradual increase in specs... During this time I was simply walking through the forest and cant think of anything that would have caused this...
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/t-maxxracer32/DSC_2549.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/t-maxxracer32/DSC_2550.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/t-maxxracer32/DSC_2551.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/t-maxxracer32/DSC_2551.jpg

Here you can see it real well
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/t-maxxracer32/DSC_2552.jpg

I dont have any other lenses to test out, so other then the typical brush/sprayer
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Cleaning-Cameras-Canon-Pentax/dp/B0080JH3YE/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1394866256&sr=8-42&keywords=dslr

Could anything else cause this? I do have insurance on it... but would prefer not to get a new lense if it isnt needed.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?
f5titan Gold Member
15th Mar 2014
briantilley Moderator
15th Mar 2014
kentak Silver Member
15th Mar 2014
quenton8 Silver Member
15th Mar 2014
Brent Melton Silver Member
15th Mar 2014
tmaxxracer32
16th Mar 2014
JosephK Silver Member
16th Mar 2014
aolander Silver Member
16th Mar 2014
ajdooley Silver Member
15th Mar 2014
tmaxxracer32
20th Mar 2014

f5titan Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Sat 15-Mar-14 06:39 AM
660 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 0

HILO, US

Is this a point & shoot or a DSLR?
Such spots are not unusual with a DSLR.
I use a "dust reference photo" with my DSLR when the specks are few and I clean the sensor after the specks become numerous.
As for my point & shoot cameras, I spot the images in LR4 or PSE10 if the images are especially good.

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 15-Mar-14 08:43 AM
28735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

It's almost impossible for dust on or in a lens to show up in an image - these look like "normal" sensor dust spots, which occur with all DSLR cameras.

Dust on the sensor always shows up more clearly at smaller apertures, which is probably why you don't see them all the time.

Look for "sensor cleaning" to get some idea of how to deal with them - there are frequent discussions on that topic here

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 15-Mar-14 08:00 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As the others have said, it appears these are typical dust specks on the sensor. You will notice them more when shooting at small apertures, such as f/16, f/22, etc., and when they are against a plain, light colored background, like the clear sky, light colored wall, etc.

It happens and can be dealt with. There are numerous references here and elsewhere online if you just search for sensor dust or sensor cleaning.

Here is one comprehensive post you might start with:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=435&topic_id=2693&prev_page=show_topic&gid=2693#2748

Kent

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 15-Mar-14 09:27 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

Well -- I am getting worried!!

I have had a D90 for 4 years, and a D7100 for 3 /12 months -- and I still have never seen a spec in a photo -- I have looked carefully, I have taken photos of white surfaces -- still cannot find anything!!!

Am I missing something -- is my camera "defective"?? (never mind, I should just be happy I can't find any right?)

----
Dennis Smith.

Brent Melton Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Apr 2012Sat 15-Mar-14 10:33 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 4

Denton, US

Hello Dennis,
Same here. I have had the D90 four years now and my D7100 for almost a year. I have not had to clean the sensor on either. I guess I have been lucky, too. I try to be careful when changing my lens. I did have my sensor cleaned once on my D70s several years ago. I changed my lens on the beach in some pretty high wind and ended up with specs.
Brent Melton

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tmaxxracer32 Registered since 01st Feb 2014Sun 16-Mar-14 12:31 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

thanks for all the responses.

I do have the D7100 and have taken the lenses off a few times, but never for more than a few seconds so I dont know how this could have gotten in there..

None the less I will look into how to clean my sensor and if it something that I feel should be professionally done.

Good to know that dust on lenses dont usually show up on photos!

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 16-Mar-14 01:50 AM
4161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

For sensor cleaning, good products and tutorials can be found here:
http://www.CopperHillImages.com

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 16-Mar-14 11:58 AM
3192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 7

Nevis, US

"I dont know how this could have gotten in there"

Dust gets in without changing lenses. Dust on the sensor is a fact of life with a DSLR.

Alan

ajdooley Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sat 15-Mar-14 09:56 PM
1679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 15-Mar-14 10:01 PM by ajdooley

Waterloo, US

Ryan -- I assume you have a DSLR since you posted in the D7000/D7100 forum. As has been said, it is virtually impossible for anything on the lens to show up as a spot on an image. Rather, that's either a defect in the sensor or much more likely, something that has gotten inside of your camera and settled on the sensor. If you never remove you lens, it may also be oil from an internal mechanism part. From the uniform size of the spots in the last image, my guess would be oil. Owning neither of the D7000 family of cameras, I am unaware of that being an issue, as it has been for D600 owners.

Oh... before I go further, welcome to Nikonians. I suspect you'll get an answer here. Please go back and fill in your profile -- especially in this case, your equipment list. But the more we know about you the better we'll be able to help you.

There are are several places you can get a sensor professionally cleaned, or where you can learn to do this yourself.

Again -- welcome. You're going to be hard pressed to find any questions you can't get good answers on here. This is a great site with 99.9% people who simply want to help you enjoy your Nikons better.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

tmaxxracer32 Registered since 01st Feb 2014Thu 20-Mar-14 11:20 PM
#10. "RE: Specs on pictures but not lense?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Read the article posted and ended up cleaning with the cleaning pen.

Originally was going to order the sensor cleaning kit but the article stated trying all dry cleaning options first.

Worked out great! saved myself money by not buying the sensor kit, and saved time (didnt have to wait for shipping)

Thanks all for your help!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #33152 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.