Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #33080
View in linear mode

Subject: "Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation co..." Previous topic | Next topic
rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Wed 05-Mar-14 11:40 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"

US

I've read that the D4 was the first body to separate these two, but I believe the 7100 post dates the D4.

To put the question another way, if I'm using flash in addition to natural light (as in a fill flash situation), can the two controls be used independently of one another?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensatio...
Omaha
06th Mar 2014
perucho57
06th Mar 2014
Omaha
06th Mar 2014
jbloom Gold Member
06th Mar 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Mar 2014
jbloom Gold Member
06th Mar 2014
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Mar 2014
jbloom Gold Member
06th Mar 2014
km6xz Moderator
06th Mar 2014
gpoole Platinum Member
06th Mar 2014

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 06-Mar-14 02:13 AM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

I'm hoping some more knowledgeable Nikonian comes along. I think this is an interesting question.

I was just playing around with my daughter's D70, and I can report that in manual mode (manual shutter and aperture, that is) with TTL flash turned on, the EC effects the flash power. I took two consecutive shots of a dark subject. One at EC -5, one at EC +5. The +5 is visibly brighter.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Thu 06-Mar-14 01:06 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 1

N. Miami Beach, US

Hi Jeff,

Is what you're seeing because of the flash power or because of the EC itself? I think a better test would be to set the EC to a specific value (e.g. -0.3) and try to change the flash compensation control and see how that affects the picture. I haven't tried it, but my impression is that they act separately, so you should also see a difference in the scenario I describe.

Regards,

Enrique

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 06-Mar-14 03:36 PM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 2

Omaha, US

>Hi Jeff,
>
>Is what you're seeing because of the flash power or because of
>the EC itself?

I assume it was because of the FC, but I'm really just guessing.

EC doesn't have any effect on shutter/aperture in manual mode, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 06-Mar-14 03:53 PM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 8

Wethersfield, US

>EC doesn't have any effect on shutter/aperture in manual mode,
>right?

Correct. It only affects what the metering reads, which in turn affects the TTL flash exposure on a body such as the D70.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 06-Mar-14 01:32 PM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

>
>To put the question another way, if I'm using flash in
>addition to natural light (as in a fill flash situation), can
>the two controls be used independently of one another?

You want to experiment with custom setting e4.

As an example in a bright backlit scene if I use the entire frame option and want to reduce the background brightness with -compensation, the background will be exposed correctly but the backlit object will be underexposed even if the flash comp is +.

If I use the background option only, the background and the object are properly exposed when main compensation is set to -.

Len

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 06-Mar-14 01:41 PM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

Good catch, Len. I hadn't run across that setting.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 06-Mar-14 01:57 PM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

Jon, I don't have a D4 but my Df and the D7100 appear to work like the D4. In the case of the D7100 the first setting using both EC and FC seem to work better for me when I use an external flash instead of the built in flash. FC has a range of +1/-3 where EC is +/- 5.

Len

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 06-Mar-14 01:38 PM
#4. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Yes, that's correct.

On the D7100, if you want to drop the ambient exposure but leave the flash exposure alone, you simply put in some negative exposure compensation (EC). Or if you want to adjust the flash exposure but leave the ambient alone, you just adjust the flash exposure compensation (FEC).

On the D7000, for example, it doesn't work that way. If you want to reduce the ambient exposure but leave the flash exposure alone, you have to put in the negative EC, then put in an equal amount of positive FEC.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 06-Mar-14 08:07 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

I like how the D7000 handles but the way the D4 and D7100 would be simpler. I wish the my D800 had this split control. I use external flash for fully 1/2 my shot so controlling ambient/subjects ratios is a concern with very many shots.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 06-Mar-14 01:51 PM
3630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Are the Exposure Compensation and Flash Compensation controls independant of each other?"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

Yes you can separate the flash compensation from the overall exposure compensation on a D7100. It's Custom Setting e4; set it to "Background only".

Note that this feature is not available on the D800, announced about the same time as the D4.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #33080 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.