Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32619
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photographing Lightning with D7100 and a trigger?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEL MUM Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2014Mon 10-Feb-14 11:40 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photographing Lightning with D7100 and a trigger?"

US

I was wondering if anyone has used a lightning trigger, like the Lightning Trigger IV, or the AEO Lightning Strike.

Do they work?

Has it been worth the investment or not?

Any information is appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

pe1125 Registered since 11th Feb 2014Tue 11-Feb-14 05:22 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photographing Lightning with D7100 and a trigger?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I bought the PatchMaster 4in1 for Nikon last December and have had fun with its laser trigger mode photographing water droplet splashes. Won't be able to test the lightning function until our monsoon season starts (we hope) in July. The PatchMaster is quite a bit cheaper than the Lightning Trigger IV from what I can tell ($160 vs $370). PatchMaster has laser and sound triggering modes in addition to lightning trigger. You can program in a delay for the laser and sound modes but not for the lightning mode.

I look forward to hearing what you end up with and what results you get.
Peter

MEL MUM Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2014Sat 15-Feb-14 03:18 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photographing Lightning with D7100 and a trigger?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think of using it for the purpose you have, and find that quite interesting. Also I hadn't come across the PatchMaster 4-1 but will certainly look into it. Thanks.

I will let you know how it all comes out. Again Thanku!

PS. I belong by family to a Pyro group, so I also thought what I get should work for fireworks too.

LeslieTroyer Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2013Sat 15-Feb-14 06:59 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photographing Lightning with D7100 and a trigger?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 15-Feb-14 06:59 PM by LeslieTroyer

Sammamish, US

I went with a kickstarter - Ada by triggertrap -- Look forward to april or so when they are delivered. 150 pounds - you get a bunch of sensors (sound, laser, Passive IR, Lightning). Flash triggering in addition to triggering the camera.

this is the second generation of triggers from triggertrap - first generation was more of a home built, based on ardunio. It is open source so you can modify the firmware if you have something non-standard in mind

Les

gapixels Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2014Fri 21-Feb-14 10:45 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photographing Lightning with D7100 and a trigger?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boca Raton, US

I have used the Lightning Trigger for years and on many different Nikon cameras (F100, D100, D2x, D700, D800, D800e) It is a fantastic device. I always see people comparing the price of the lightning trigger, to other devices. Personally I've always believed you get what you pay for. I wouldn't buy anything for lightning capture other than the lightning trigger.

Keep in mind, it doesn't create the image for you. It simply opens your cameras shutter the instant there is a lightning strike. That is only the beginning. Composing your image, Setting your iso, aperature, and shutter speed are left up to you. And believe me, all of those variables can make a huge difference in the success of your image.

Ive heard many times from other photographers, that using the lightning trigger is cheating. That you're not really taking the picture. My answer to them is fine. Go ahead and miss the opportunity of creating incredible images. Anyone can go out at night, point their camera at a storm, set their iso to 100, set their aperture to about f8, set their shutter speed to 30seconds, use continuous shooting mode, press and lock there shutter release cable, and let their camera capture anything that happens within that 30 second interval, continuously for as long as the storm produces lightning.By their logic that should be cheating also. The use of a tripod is also cheating. The list goes on and on.

Like all great landscape photography, it first starts with putting yourself in position to capture the image. You can't be driving to your location watching the beautiful morning light occur. You have to be there before the sun begins to rise to capture it while it's happening. It's the same thing with lightning.

Most storms only have a certain amount of electrical energy in them. The trick is not to wait until you see the lightning already happening from your house and then head out to capture it, but to anticipate when and where the storms will develop and set up ahead of time.

I could go on and on, with what I have learned over the years photographing lightning in my home state of Florida. Let me know if you'd like more information, and I can give you a way to contact me directly. I'd be happy to share my experience and knowledge with you.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32619 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.