Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32616
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 and dust" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon_Evolution Registered since 07th Feb 2014Mon 10-Feb-14 09:37 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 and dust"

US

I'm curious if it's abnormal to have dust on the sensor on a week old d7100? I changed the lens a few times but in a relatively clean area. I noticed about 3 last night when editing some sunset shots.

My main question is, is it worth cleaning it at this time or just use spot removal tool in Lightroom?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 and dust
Giltic
11th Feb 2014
Nikon_Evolution
11th Feb 2014
brancaleone Silver Member
12th Feb 2014
goodguy
13th Feb 2014
prreid Silver Member
13th Feb 2014
Nikon_Evolution
13th Feb 2014
Nikon_Evolution
13th Feb 2014
pswan Gold Member
13th Feb 2014

Giltic Registered since 11th Nov 2013Tue 11-Feb-14 09:21 AM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 and dust"
In response to Reply # 0

SI

Sometimes camera has a few specks of dust on the sensor from a production line. It's also possible that the dust is on the mirror or in the chamber and later migrates on the sensor.
Zoom lens can also pump dust in the chamber.
I suspect mine also had some dust but haven't check at that time. After few 1000 shots I just used a blower, a cosmetic brush and a Lenspen loupe. Then I've used SensorKlear pen with a loupe to remove a couple of stubborn dust spots.
Not a big deal.
Now I use a blower and brush once in a while when I'm in the mood.
Dust on sensor is somehow normal for DSLR cameras and sooner or later you'll have to buy some sort of cleaning kit.
First just give it a few blows with a blower to remove as much dust you can.

Nikon_Evolution Registered since 07th Feb 2014Tue 11-Feb-14 06:31 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 and dust"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you.

I will try the blower. Never had good luck with it cleaning by d7000 though. But who knows.

I just found that feature on LR5 that makes it easier to spot the dust. I don't think it's worth me wet cleaning it for the one or two spots. Never done it before. But when I get a few more I will learn how to.

brancaleone Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2013Wed 12-Feb-14 11:41 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 and dust"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I'm curious if it's abnormal to have dust on the sensor on a
>week old d7100? I changed the lens a few times but in a
>relatively clean area. I noticed about 3 last night when
>editing some sunset shots.
>
>My main question is, is it worth cleaning it at this time or
>just use spot removal tool in Lightroom?
>
>Thanks.

Check it carefully it might not be dust

goodguy Registered since 01st Sep 2013Thu 13-Feb-14 01:36 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 and dust"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

I got my D7100 for about 6 months and thank god no dust issues or any other issues for that matter.
I think I would take the camera to Nikon for a quick sensor cleanup.

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Thu 13-Feb-14 11:44 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 and dust"
In response to Reply # 5

Naples, US

...each to his own but, unless there is a lot, the spot-removal tool is pretty fast and painless; the LR feature makes it even easier to find dust. I've never tried to do this, but if you are processing a lot of photos, I wonder if you could make this an Action and batch process?

prreid

Nikon_Evolution Registered since 07th Feb 2014Thu 13-Feb-14 03:37 PM
#8. "RE: D7100 and dust"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Back before I lost interest in photography a few years ago I remember reading in LR 3 that it could be a batch process. At the very least you can select all and sync.
I really only noticed it it sky shots.

Nikon_Evolution Registered since 07th Feb 2014Thu 13-Feb-14 01:38 AM
#6. "RE: D7100 and dust"
In response to Reply # 4

US

It looks like I remember dust looking. I'm going to try the rocket blower first.

pswan Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2014Thu 13-Feb-14 03:57 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 and dust"
In response to Reply # 6

Crestview, US

I had the same issue with my new D7100.
In my case I just did the -- exposure function next to Bulb setting. The first press of the shutter button lifted the mirror, and the second press opened the shutter exposing the CMOS sensor. I then used compressed air to gently blow off the sensor. This not only cleaned the sensor, but removed any residual manufacturing particles from the sensor, shutter and mirror box. Third press of the shutter then closes the shutter and lowers the mirror.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32616 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.