Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3257
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7K & 80-400 mm" Previous topic | Next topic
gdhawkins Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2006Mon 13-Dec-10 07:51 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7K & 80-400 mm"

Reading, GB

Hi

I am trying to decide whether to invest in the D7K or D300s. I am planning a safari trip next year and using my 80-400m will be essential. I have used it on safari in the past with my old D80 with reasonable results. Until the D7K came out I was seriously thinking about the D300s because of its faster drive motor for this lens. However, given all the positive reviews of the D7K and its newer technology I am tempted by it.

Has anyone used this combination and any thoughts on which will give faster autofocus, particularly in low light conditions. This is where the high ISO results of the D7K is very attractive.

Geoff

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7K & 80-400 mm
ericbowles Moderator
13th Dec 2010
gdhawkins Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
gdhawkins Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
Len Shepherd Gold Member
14th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Dec 2010
gdhawkins Silver Member
16th Dec 2010

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 13-Dec-10 05:49 PM
8520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

The AF of the D7000 is pretty good, but it depends a bit on the lens. I don't have the 80-400 so you probably need feedback from someone with that combination.

The advantage of the D7000 is that it has a new AF system that represents an upgrade. It also has video which could be a plus on a safari. For low light, the better high ISO performance might be enough to favor the D7000.

My biggest concern would be the 80-400 - it is a good choice, but AF is not that fast. I probably would not weight AF speed as my number one criteria since your lens is a big part of the problem regardless of your camera choice.

I don't see a reason to choose the D300s over the D7000 if you are buying new now. The D7000 has the newest technology on the market and a number of advantages. If you already had the D300/D300s I would not see a compelling reason to replace them just for AF speed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

gdhawkins Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2006Mon 13-Dec-10 06:25 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 1

Reading, GB

Eric

Many thanks for the feedback. Video is not a factor in my decision as I am old fashioned to prefer to use my DSLR for stills. If I want video I will take a video camera.

The 80-400 can hunt at times in low light but it also provides good reach on a DX camera at a reasonable price.

I seem to recall reading that it works better on semi-pro and pro cameras because of their more powerful on-board motors which is why I was considering a D300s.

It certainly would be good to hear from members who have this lens to learn of their experience with the D7K.

Geoff

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 13-Dec-10 06:12 PM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 13-Dec-10 06:15 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Hi

I was in the same dilema as you about either the D7K and D300s, in the end I went for the D7K. I won't bang on about my experiences as they can be read elsewhere, however, my principal wild life and BIF lenses are both the 80-400mm on its own and the 70-200 f/2.8 with both a x1.4 and x1.7 teleconverter. I have used the 80-400mm extensively with the D700 and D90 and now have used it a few times with the D7K. In terms of focus speed and always allowing that the 80-400 is rather glacial in it's speed and has the ability to get confused with very contrasty scenes, I have found no noticeable speed difference between the D7K or D700/D90. As the D700 is very much a D300 but full frame I think it's a fair comparison.

One thing though, yes I do use AF for static subjects, but also use in manual on both cameras.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

gdhawkins Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2006Mon 13-Dec-10 06:35 PM
#4. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 2

Reading, GB

Richard

Thanks that's helpful. I know the 80-400 can get confused easily but once you get used to its idiosyncrasies IMHO it is a great lens.

I have toyed with the 70-200 f/2.8 plus teleconverter combination and would love another f/2.8 lens having just acquired the 17-55 f/2.8. However I think it would be a better option to get a second camera body so that on safari I can have both the 80-400 mm and 17-55 immediately available to cope with any eventuality. It could be too great a strain on family relations, not to mention finances, if I succumbed to NAS yet further.

Geoff

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 13-Dec-10 07:57 PM
3325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, GB

Geoff.

Yes, Nikonitus is now a notifiable disease. I believe that "The Priory" are looking into the possibility of therapy. My wife certainly hopes so!

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 14-Dec-10 09:03 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 14-Dec-10 09:05 AM by Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, GB

Having done 6 African safaris AF on the 80-400 which you already own is plenty fast enough for 99% of safari shots.
Most activity is fairly static or slow moving - and with approximate pre focus the lens can AF in much less than one tenth of a second.
Digressing AF from infinity to minimum focus is not far behind the 50mm f1.4 G - the G have very slow AF for it's aperture.
Based on what is around now go for the D7000 and maybe consider renting a 200-400 and TC 14e.
AF was used for only 1 of the pictures below.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)
Attachment #9, (jpg file)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 16-Dec-10 12:58 PM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I went to Pinnacles two weeks ago and brought one of my 80-400 lens.
I would say that with the D7000 a MonoPod is highly recommended, especially at 400mm.
For stills I use a TriPod, zoom in on the LCD and use manual override.

If you really want to see the AutoFocus on the 80-400 come to life, put it on a D3 and hand hold it.
I found the discontinued N-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS MC DG KENKO works pretty good on a D3 also.
It will AutoFocus with very minor image degradation at 400, but again you will need a good TriPod.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 01:06 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

Very nice series Len.

The Aardvark is killer from my perspective, not often seen! The rest very nice also!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

gdhawkins Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 08:16 PM
#9. "RE: D7K & 80-400 mm"
In response to Reply # 6

Reading, GB

Len

Many thanks for the advice. I agree that pre-focus improves the performance of the 80-400 and that most activity is slow or static.

I loved the pictures. I have uploaded some of my own which were taken with the 80-400 in 2007. The leopard and cubs were particularly difficult as the light was fading fast by the time our guide found her so they have needed some work in Lightroom and Photoshop to sharpen the pictures. The others have needed no sharpening

I have now purchased the D7000 as an early Christmas present and look forward to having time to begin to master my new camera. Many thanks for the helpful feedback

Geoff

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3257 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.