Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32569
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question on D7100 metering AIs lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
JBD90 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Sat 08-Feb-14 05:42 PM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question on D7100 metering AIs lenses"

US

I love my D90 but I chimp the histogram to work out exposures with old manual lenses. The specs say the D7100 will meter them. just how is that done, little lights under and over kind of thing? This may be the impetus for me to upgrade. Thanks in advance, JBD90

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question on D7100 metering AIs lenses
hidesert Silver Member
08th Feb 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
09th Feb 2014
aolander Silver Member
08th Feb 2014
JBD90 Silver Member
09th Feb 2014
Wolphin Silver Member
12th Feb 2014

hidesert Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2012Sat 08-Feb-14 08:34 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question on D7100 metering AIs lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Lacey, US

The D7100 has a menu item for non-CPU lenses. You enter the max f-stop and focal length and then that lens meters just like any other. AIS lenses should meter correctly at all their range of f-stops but AI lenses probably won't.

Nikon F6, F100, F4s, FM2N, D80, D7100

Rollei TLR's are my other passion!

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 09-Feb-14 02:37 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question on D7100 metering AIs lenses"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 09-Feb-14 02:38 AM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

>The D7100 has a menu item for non-CPU lenses. You enter the
>max f-stop and focal length and then that lens meters just
>like any other. AIS lenses should meter correctly at all their
>range of f-stops but AI lenses probably won't.

AI and AIS lenses both work fine in modes A and M, as you control the aperture with the aperture ring for non-CPU lenses. P and S will not work for either type of lenses.

If you chip your AI lenses, you can activate P and S mode on them and get an incorrect exposure, but out of the box that's not an issue.

When you put your lens information into the non-CPU lens menu, it works just like an autofocus lens with the switch in manual focus mode, except that you use an aperture ring on the lens instead of the front command dial, and it doesn't support P and S modes. That's about it.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 08-Feb-14 08:59 PM
3190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question on D7100 metering AIs lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 08-Feb-14 09:01 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

There's a scale at the bottom of the viewfinder which indicates exposure. It's marked in 1/2 or 1/3 stops (however you have the camera set).

Something like this: + ------ 0 ------ -

Alan

JBD90 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Sun 09-Feb-14 03:53 AM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question on D7100 metering AIs lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks all, I had read how the FX pro series cameras deal with manual AIs lenses. This seems to be similar. They could not easily deal with zoom lenses as the focal length had to be selected. It seems the 7100 is similar. I need to start shopping and get my D90 together to go on sale. Thanks all for the info.

Wolphin Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2012Wed 12-Feb-14 03:31 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question on D7100 metering AIs lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

Calgary, CA

More than similar, it is the same. They work well on the high-end DX bodies; I have 4 that I use.

For focusing, you can use the arrows and circle for knowing if you are focused, but it will only do the focus on a single point.

The D7100, you can set up to 9 (I believe) AI/AI-s lense profiles.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32569 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.