Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3251
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus problems with D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
JP_Greywolf Registered since 13th Dec 2010Mon 13-Dec-10 02:40 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus problems with D7000"

Shuswap, CA

Hi,

I am new to the site and somewhat new to digital cameras. I purchased a D7000 last week and have been taking shots to become familiar with the camera.

All of my shots seem very soft focused (out of focus) inside of Lightroom 3.

I wish to go back to the store and explain my concerns yet I do not know enough about digital cameras to know how to show the people at the store the soft focus shots.

Can you offer me a process for taking a test shot to take to the store?

I have been using a Mamiya 7 II for years as well as an Ebony 4x5 and feel that this digital camera falls far short of my expectations.

Even on the screen of my IMac with out magnification the shots are very soft....out of focus. I do believe it is a fault of the camera...a technical flaw.

I took the test shots with the camera mounted on a tripod and outside in bright daylight. I let the camera with the Nikon 18-105 VR lens autofocus on the subject.

Just asking for some guidelines and some helpful suggestions.

Thank-you for you help.

James

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus problems with D7000
csgaraglino Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
JP_Greywolf
15th Dec 2010
greenwing Gold Member
14th Dec 2010
JP_Greywolf
15th Dec 2010
Len Shepherd Gold Member
15th Dec 2010
JP_Greywolf
15th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
15th Dec 2010
JP_Greywolf
15th Dec 2010

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberMon 13-Dec-10 03:04 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus problems with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Can you post or better link to one of the photos and also make sure you provide all the EXIF information.

Also, I don't know if this will help, but take a look at this post.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=2031

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

JP_Greywolf Registered since 13th Dec 2010Wed 15-Dec-10 04:25 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Focus problems with D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Shuswap, CA

Thanks for leading me to the other post. I learned many things from reading those postings. I do not know how to post an image and am unsure of what type of image would be suitable to illustrate if there may be a problem.

I am simply unsure if it is simply I, a person who has only had experience with film that is correctly or incorrectly making a judgement.

As you have pointed me....to keep reading more posts and learn from those.

My prime concern at this time is exactly that...time.

The dealer, a good person, explained that I had a grace period to ensure I am satisfied with the camera. Yesterday I returned the camera to him, simply so he could test the ability of the camera/lens combination.

I will be returning Friday afternoon to pick up my camera and listen to what he has to say.

His skill set/knowledge in DSLR's far surpasses mine.

I am hoping for the best.

Jim

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Tue 14-Dec-10 12:17 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus problems with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>I took the test shots with the camera mounted on a tripod and
>outside in bright daylight. I let the camera with the Nikon
>18-105 VR lens autofocus on the subject.

James, the most obvious potential cause of problems with this setup is that VR should be turned off when using a tripod, except for some quite exotic lenses. VR can introduce movement when there is none.

Welcome to Nikonians!

Chris

JP_Greywolf Registered since 13th Dec 2010Wed 15-Dec-10 04:17 PM
#5. "RE: Focus problems with D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Shuswap, CA

Hello Chris,

Thank-you for that piece of information...I did not know that. As you correctly understood I am very new to DSLR's and digital cameras in general. I appreciate you sharing these very helpful suggestions.

Jim

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 15-Dec-10 06:25 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus problems with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

First welcome.
Whilst some AF targets can fool AF into focusing at the wrong distance if all your shots from a range of subjects are obviously unsharp either it is something you ar not doing right with the camera, or the camera is defective.
A quick solution is to go back to the store, tell them you are not getting any sharp photos and ask them to demonstrate how to get sharp photos.
If they can get sharp photos they can help you with the settings.
If they cannot get sharp pictures ask for an exchange camera, get it tested in the shop with your charged battery, or get your money back.
If the shop suggests sending the camera back to Nikon tell them firmly you paid good money for a good camera and getting the camera put right is their problem, not yours.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

JP_Greywolf Registered since 13th Dec 2010Wed 15-Dec-10 04:27 PM
#7. "RE: Focus problems with D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Shuswap, CA

Thanks Len.

As you may read from another reply, I have returned the camera to the dealer for him to test and verify.

I will be talking to him Friday afternoon and see what he can tell me.

Jim

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 15-Dec-10 11:14 AM
8143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Focus problems with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I think the D7000 default settings are based on creating forgiveness in small prints for novice users. They were not sharp enough for my taste but there is plenty of detail in the RAW file. Try increasing sharpness using the Picture Control settings.

I'm not sure whether you are creating RAW images and converting them in Photoshop or JPEG's. You might want to install the free program - View NX2. View NX2 will give the image with the actual camera settings rather than having some other product like Photoshop interpret those settings. Lightroom will use a pretty good interpretation of camera settings, but you may simply have settings that do not include enough sharpening. View NX2 also gives you some ability to adjust camera settings for RAW images in post processing so you can decide how to set up your camera.

I don't have the 18-105 lens, but will assume you have it stopped down a little and are not shooting at extremes of aperture or focal length.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

JP_Greywolf Registered since 13th Dec 2010Wed 15-Dec-10 04:32 PM
#8. "RE: Focus problems with D7000"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 15-Dec-10 04:34 PM by JP_Greywolf

Shuswap, CA

Thanks Eric,

I will take a closer look at View NX2. I very recently purchased LR 3 and am just starting to learn how to use the program. The same with understanding that shooting RAW images is probably the best route for me to take as I begin to understand more about digital image processing.

You are correct, I do have the lens stopped down and am staying away from the extreme ends of the lens capabilities. That is also the reason I did tripod mounted shots, to remove any question of "hand shaking".

Some days I just ache for a standard darkroom and real wet paper in my hands. However I wil just continue on and hopefully become better at the digital ways.

Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3251 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.