Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32475
View in linear mode

Subject: "Removing the camera strap eyelets?" Previous topic | Next topic
Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Tue 04-Feb-14 05:18 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Removing the camera strap eyelets?"

US

For carrying my D7100 I use the Black Rapid RS-4 strap and utilize the tripod mounting connector and clip. My question is has anyone removed the two triangular eyelets for the camera strap mounting from their D7100? They look like a small triangular split ring with a plastic protector in place. I’d like to maybe take mine off without damaging them, in case some day down the road I change my mind and want to put them back on. Anybody done this?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 04-Feb-14 08:33 AM
28676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Removing the camera strap eyelets?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

The triangular thingies are indeed small split "rings" with a plastic protector.

I generally don't use a neck strap on my cameras, and the rings are pretty easy to remove. You just lever the plastic part away from the metal with a fingernail (the plastic is slightly flexible, which helps) and then remove the split ring from the camera lug in the usual way. This should not cause any damage, and the rings will be re-fittable if and when required

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

LeslieTroyer Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2013Tue 04-Feb-14 01:34 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Removing the camera strap eyelets?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

I've pulled mine off. Stored them on the strap incase I want to sell the camera later. caused no damage at all.

Les

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Dean51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th May 2013Wed 05-Feb-14 12:47 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Removing the camera strap eyelets?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I thought that it looked pretty easy. Was worried about breaking the little plastic retainers but Brian and Les you are right. They can be removed very easy and no damage at all. Very easy to put back on if needed also. Thanks, Dean

colin1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2009Wed 12-Feb-14 07:37 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Removing the camera strap eyelets?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Yet another example of why Nikonians forums are so good and why I browse through on a daily basis. I have learnt and continue to learn so much.

My wife and I also use a Black Rapid straps and I didn't know, without getting our cameras out of their bags, whether I had removed the eyelets. I hadn't, but with the guidance from Brian they were quickly removed from both cameras and stored on the original straps.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32475 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.