Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3246
View in linear mode

Subject: "RAW vs Jpeg" Previous topic | Next topic
wkramer Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Mon 13-Dec-10 12:24 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RAW vs Jpeg"

Port Washington/New York, US

Why would anyone shoot in Jpeg vs Raw (unless they have a lack of memory cards)? I find that shooting in Raw gives me an opportunity to salvage photos that are off a bit but composed well.

Cropping would also seem to be a better option in RAW vs Jpeg. The more pixels the better.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: RAW vs Jpeg
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
jdbishop
13th Dec 2010
ericbowles Moderator
13th Dec 2010
mmrusdy
14th Dec 2010
elec164 Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
csgaraglino Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Dec 2010
Drbee Silver Member
13th Dec 2010
waxart
13th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
14th Dec 2010
DrBrett Silver Member
14th Dec 2010

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 13-Dec-10 01:51 AM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

I have no lack of 16 and 32 gb memory cards.
I also have 5 computers with many terabytes of storage.

All the Nikons made in the last few years produce JPEGs so good that shooting RAW is not necessary for most of us.
I gave up shooting RAW soon after I got my first D1

The new photo editing software is so good that I can almost get as much improvement out of a JPEG as a RAW image and it is a lot quicker.

I am an EVENT photographer who takes many thousands of photos.
I barely have enough time to cull the worst shots before my buyers are gone,
so I charge extra for post processing.

jdbishop Registered since 01st Jul 2006Mon 13-Dec-10 02:05 AM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

Katy, US

I've been shooting JPEG since I got my D70s and kept shooting JPEG"x with my D80, D300, D700, D90, and now with my D7000. I have no use for RAW. For me it's a waste of time and I've been retired for 17 years and have plenty of time to spend. You would be amazed at how many pro photographers shoot jpeg exclusively. I'm a happy amateur.

Ready - Fire - Aim

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 13-Dec-10 02:21 AM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I think Roger provided the real reason for shooting JPEG over RAW. We had a thread on this topic recently in the Cafe.

JPEG is the clear answer when post processing time is minimal and you take a lot of images. Journalists need to shoot JPEG for most publications - both for quick turnaround and to maintain the integrity of publishing as shot only. Sports photographers have large volume and quick turnaround. Wedding and event photographers shoot very large number of images and most have no editing. Beyond post processing timeframes, JPEG's take less space so you can fit more images on a card. I was at a wedding recently and the phtographer shot 72 GB of images.

I'm with you - I almost always shoot RAW. But there are some good reasons for shooting a JPEG, and image quality is very good straight out of the camera.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mmrusdy Registered since 22nd Nov 2010Tue 14-Dec-10 06:25 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 3

Selangor, MY

>
>I'm with you - I almost always shoot RAW. But there are some
>good reasons for shooting a JPEG, and image quality is very
>good straight out of the camera.
>

Agree with aric. I also shoot RAW. for JPEG is easy for editting, and no need to convert the file...

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 13-Dec-10 03:04 AM
1984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Cropping would also seem to be a better option in RAW vs Jpeg.
> The more pixels the better.

There are just as many pixels available shooting large JPEG as there is in a raw conversion, so the crop comment does not make sense to me.

As pointed out you shoot what suits your needs at the time.

Pete

Pete

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberMon 13-Dec-10 03:10 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

I never shoot just JPEG...
When in the field shooting PJ I'll shoot JPEG+RAW so that I can send the JPEG images right form the camera to the news outlets (via my iPad), but I always have the RAW as my backup negative. As a matter of fact even when I shoot J+R I never import the JPEGs, just the RAW files.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 13-Dec-10 01:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 13-Dec-10 01:59 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Sometimes Jpeg's lose image quality from many edits and saves when the wrong type of compression is selected. If one edits in Nikon Capture NX2, the ability to undo edit steps or remove all the edits is possible.

Jpegs can be easily read by most devices while NEF or RAW formats require special software to be viewed (not the Jpeg thumbnail) or edited.

It comes down to convenience (Jpeg) vs. flexibility (RAW).

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Mon 13-Dec-10 03:33 AM
5720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

Naperville, US

Since I started with a DSLR, I've shot primarily RAW images. There have been some travel scenarios where I've let JPG dominate because of storage situations. I was so dedicated to RAW that I excluded cameras from the list of possible additions if they didn't shoot RAW.

A few months ago I decided to revisit JPG. My wife uses a D70 and she shoots dominantly JPG. Her images sparkle, so I decided to see if I could tune my D2Hs and D700 to do the same. With some effort, I got a look I liked.

Now I'm shooting RAW+JPG(Fine) and using the JPG for sharing. I discovered there is satisfaction in both, and a use for both; now with the answers here, demonstrated need for dominantly either.

Thanks for the question. Always nice to hear the world weigh in on what seems like a closed issue.

Best Regards,
Roger

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Mon 13-Dec-10 06:31 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 6

Vallejo, US

For years I've shot only Raw images. For stock purposes editing a jpeg and re-saving is a no-no. If one of my images is rejected with possibility of resubmission after re-processing, I absolutely need to go back to the RAW negative. However, in the past year I have noticed the excellent quality my husband gets with Fine jpegs out of his Olympus E620 and I'm thinking that, for images which are purely documenting events, I'd save myself a lot of trouble shooting jpegs.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 14-Dec-10 01:09 AM
3145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

I always save the original JPEGs and edit a copy and after editing "save as".
Generally I add an e for exposure, c for crop, or other letter to designate the change.

DrBrett Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2006Tue 14-Dec-10 05:56 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: RAW vs Jpeg"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

I've shot RAW+JPEG for years with my D200. The JPEG allows for quick viewing on my laptop (I don't have Photoshop installed on it) or emailing. If I want to do any edits on a few favorites, I do it at home on my desktop using the RAW file in Lightroom or Photoshop, and have the ability to recover a little detail from an overexposed area, for example. On a few occasions, that's made the difference between an acceptable capture and a great one.

Of course, now that I have a D7000 which uses SD cards this is more of a problem - you need more space when shooting RAW or RAW+JPEG, so I'm having to buy extra cards.

Brett

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3246 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.