Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32358
View in linear mode

Subject: " D7100 and SB-800 question" Previous topic | Next topic
BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Wed 29-Jan-14 01:52 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
" D7100 and SB-800 question"

IL

What am I doing wrong?????

Have a D7100 and a SB-800. I have very little experience with the SB-800. At a large indoor get together a few months ago I was successful in taking many good photos with it.
Last week was asked once again to take photos and again used the SB-800. There area was well lit with fluorescent s, but flash is still needed.
When I pushed the shutter, it made the flash, flash three times, before the flash went off. I turned the AF to off on the SB-800 menu. Is there someplace on the D7100’s menu that controls this???
How can I stop the three mini-flashes before the flash goes off.
TIA,
Ben

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ctrclckws Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2013Wed 29-Jan-14 01:57 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 and SB-800 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Jersey City, US

Sounds like a red eye reduction setting.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BigBen636 Registered since 28th Feb 2013Wed 29-Jan-14 10:15 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 and SB-800 question"
In response to Reply # 1

IL

Thank you and Jon...
Fooled around with it and become frustrated so I decided to write in.
Found it with you help.
Thanks for both of you for your help and suggestions....
Ben

MEL MUM Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2014Sat 01-Feb-14 12:53 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 and SB-800 question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

You can reset the settings by pressing the mode and on/off buttons simultaneously for app. 2 seconds to reset all settings, including the custom settings. Hope this helps.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 29-Jan-14 02:04 PM
6088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 and SB-800 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Yep, that's red-eye reduction. Which you probably don't need when using the SB-800 but may want to use if you are using the pop-up flash. (The pop-up flash uses the lamp on the front of the camera for red-eye reduction rather than the three-flash technique.)

While you're working on getting that turned off , do a little experimentation to see what settings you like. In particular, try both TTL and TTL-BL modes. Also try flash with the SLOW mode turned on and off to see the diference and decide what you like. That kind of playing around will pay off when you're at an event and have to figure out how to get the shots.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32358 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.