Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32325
View in linear mode

Subject: "looking for the "sweet spot"" Previous topic | Next topic
MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 27-Jan-14 05:57 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"looking for the "sweet spot""

jacksonville, US

we all know that increaseing ISO increases noise.

but so does increasing exposure. so what i'm interested in is the sweet spot. how far can you go @ iso 100 exposure wise vs increaseing to iso 400 800 ect.

has this been done? any reccomendations as to how to set up the testing?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 27-Jan-14 07:52 PM
4143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: looking for the "sweet spot""
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Long exposure noise vs high ISO noise, should be a good experiment.

Today's sensors need to run quite a while before long-exposure noise starts showing up.
Long-exposure usually suggests low light, often suggesting underexposure, which is where high-ISOs exaggerate noise.

For long exposure, are you thinking about shooting at night or using lots of neutral density filters?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 27-Jan-14 08:11 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: looking for the "sweet spot""
In response to Reply # 1

Newburg, US

and long exposure noise is fixed pattern - photo sites maintain a constant relative sensitivity to temperature so the photo sites that are most susceptible to charge leakage are always the same and can be subtracted out - which is what long exposure noise reduction does. In long exposure noise reduction, a second dark frame image is taken and the hot sites in that image are subtracted from the first image.

It takes exposures out to 8 to 10 seconds to start generating long exposure noise and with the subtraction it is hardly an issue.

IMO there is really no contest here. Longer exposure is always preferable to higher ISO exposure if shooting conditions allow it - no contest.

Visit my gallery.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 27-Jan-14 08:50 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: looking for the "sweet spot""
In response to Reply # 1

jacksonville, US

I think for a test, to control as much as possible, ND filters would be useful.. now my tiny lil brain is churning. i suppose a focus graphic would be the appropriate target.

the reason it even came up was i was comparing a few photos i took of sunrises. in some cses the ISO was high in others ISO was low with longer exposure. I plan on going out to catch the old moon thursday morning, and was debating on 100 iso and a longer exposure or 400 and a shorter one. not6hing says I can't do both. will be some interesting comparisons

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 27-Jan-14 11:16 PM
4143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: looking for the "sweet spot""
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

You need to be careful with long exposures when your subject is moving. The moon moves at a noticeable clip.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32325 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.