Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32274
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D7100 owner ... WOW!" Previous topic | Next topic
jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 24-Jan-14 02:51 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D7100 owner ... WOW!"

Norwalk, US

So, I started with a DSLR with a D5100, then D5200, and I've also had significant exposure to and used quite a bit the D5000, D40x and a bit with the D7000. (yeah, all of my friends and family use Nikon, too).

The D5100 I liked a lot, but with the D5200 the images were just unsharp, and the AF kept missing, constantly. I tried new glass, tried everything, and finally got it traded up and spent more to get a D7100. I took it out this past weekend to some family events, which is a good time for me to get acquainted with a new camera (3,000 clicks later ...), and, WOW! The images just seem to pop off of the screen, and the AF system almost reads my mind, and focuses in any light I throw at it, even nearly pitch black. This is especially good, since staring at old NEFs for hours on end at 100%, I found that the D5200 just never focused properly when using the PDAF system Not to mention, the ergonomics compared to the smaller bodies are an absolute dream, with a bigger grip meaning I can leave my hand on it for longer.

So, enough ranting and raving about how amazing it is, and onto two questions for the more experienced D7100 users:

First, as much as I love this camera, it's a big Mag-alloy body, and I feel bad throwing my 18-55 on the front when it really needs at least the 16-85 for best results. What's a good second (plastic) body to go with it, where I won't have jarring control differences? preferably one without the 39 point AF system that's left such a bad taste in my mouth, and using the EN-EL14 batteries I now have five of doing not a whole lot.

Second, is the MB-D15 worth it? My current longest lens is the AF-S 70-300 VR, but I'm either going to be adding the AF-D 80-400 VR or AF-S 300 f/4 to my arsenal soon, and while I felt I needed the grip, absolutely, with the D5100 and D5200, I no longer feel it's necessary on this body.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 24-Jan-14 04:18 AM
6055 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D7100 owner ... WOW!"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

>First, as much as I love this camera, it's a big Mag-alloy
>body, and I feel bad throwing my 18-55 on the front when it
>really needs at least the 16-85 for best results. What's a
>good second (plastic) body to go with it, where I won't have
>jarring control differences? preferably one without the 39
>point AF system that's left such a bad taste in my mouth, and
>using the EN-EL14 batteries I now have five of doing not a
>whole lot.

There isn't one. The only current DX body with better than the 39-point AF system is the D7100. If you didn't like the AF system in the D5200, I'm not sure you would like it much better in any other body.

>Second, is the MB-D15 worth it? My current longest lens is
>the AF-S 70-300 VR, but I'm either going to be adding the AF-D
>80-400 VR or AF-S 300 f/4 to my arsenal soon, and while I felt
>I needed the grip, absolutely, with the D5100 and D5200, I no
>longer feel it's necessary on this body.

Why did you feel it necessary on the D5xxx bodies? Its principal function is to allow easy shooting in portrait mode. That's why I wanted one and am glad I have it. But you don't much need the extra battery in the grip -- the internal battery lasts for a couple thousand shots if you aren't using the pop-up flash. (The EN-EL15 is nearly twice the capacity of the EN-EL14.)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 24-Jan-14 11:52 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D7100 owner ... WOW!"
In response to Reply # 1

Norwalk, US

I would be quite OK with the 11 point AF system, just not the 39 point. I had two D5100 bodies and had no issues in good light with them, and two D5200 bodies and had nothing but issues with the AF system.

On the D5100 and D5200 I used a third party grip to get a larger grip when using the 70-300 VR lens. My hands aren't exactly small, and the D5x00 series grips are small, so a third party grip solved the problem.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Fri 24-Jan-14 04:44 PM
630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D7100 owner ... WOW!"
In response to Reply # 2

Henrico, US

<>Second, is the MB-D15 worth it? My current longest lens is
>the AF-S 70-300 VR, but I'm either going to be adding the AF-D
>80-400 VR or AF-S 300 f/4 to my arsenal soon, and while I felt
>I needed the grip, absolutely, with the D5100 and D5200, I no
>longer feel it's necessary on this body>

The question of having a grip on your camera is completely subjective. If you don't feel you need it and are comfortable switching from landscape to portrait with the camera alone then you might not need it. As Jon pointed out you will get plenty of shots in either raw or jpeg with the battery in the camera.

I have and use grips on all my cameras D7100's and D800e's but that's just my preference. Keep in mind, it adds weight and dimension, plus if you're trying to be sneaky grabbing shots on the street it does make a statement.

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Fri 24-Jan-14 07:58 PM
4196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D7100 owner ... WOW!"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

John-Erik,

I use theMB-D15 primarily for portrait orientation but it is also a valuable second battery back-up when I'm out in cold weather doing bird photography. Plus it adds an extra measure of heft and control in handling the D7100.

Congrats on the D7100!

Al

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32274 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.