Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32268
View in linear mode

Subject: "Belive it" Previous topic | Next topic
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Fri 24-Jan-14 02:08 AM
963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Belive it"
Sat 25-Jan-14 07:54 PM by Vlad_IT

New Tampa, US

Hi folks,

Just wanted to share my own experience. For the past couple of years I came across complaints
where owners complaint on strange, unexplainable problems with their cameras, and I suspect it was corruption in settings. I suggested to remove battery from malfunctioning camera and let it sit for a week, in order to drain internal back-up battery and thus loose all and every settings, it will force the camera read all settings from a ROM memory and load in to a RAM memory (or an another type memory, the camera might use). I'm not sure if anyone followed my advicse with success, but when my D7000 started acting - I could not reformat memory card using combination of metering and Delete buttons, also I could not reset camera to factory defaults using Quality and exposure compensation buttons. All buttons are working correctly individually, but the shortcuts when pressing and holding two buttons together did not work. It warmed properly if I go into the menu - I can do all functions from there. But resetting to a factory defaults using the menu, it did not fix my problems with shortcuts. Who knows what we was malfunctioning or would malfunction. So my game plan was first to remove the battery and drained the internal backup battery until all possible settings are lost. If it would not fix my problem I would try to re-flash the firmware.

So I started by removing battery from my camera and let it stay powerless for about a week - that was enough time to drain out the internal battery.

After first startup after that, my camera booted up to a factory defaults. And my D7000 functions correctly now. So I don't need to reflash the FW. Simple but very effective DIY fix

Hope it might help some people to save on out of warranty repair.

Best regards,
Vlad

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Sat 25-Jan-14 03:09 AM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Belive it"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Interesting information.

Thank you for the post - I will most definitely be keeping it for reference.

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

Chiriqui Charlie Registered since 31st Aug 2013Wed 05-Feb-14 10:24 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Belive it"
In response to Reply # 0

PA

Something to keep in mind! Only downside is loss of use of the camera for an extra week if it doesn't work.

Cruising around Central America on a motorcycle

Visit my Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32268 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.