Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32191
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF fine tuning" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Fri 17-Jan-14 03:46 PM
306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF fine tuning"

Rambouillet, FR

I have a 17-55mm, which I like very much. I have found however that either there is a lot of focus shifting going on, or maybe it's just hard for the auto-focus to nail critical focus with this lens, I don't know.

So my question is: is it possible to set two different AF fine tuning settings for the same lens on the D7000? For instance, one for the wide end and one for the long end?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 17-Jan-14 04:55 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF fine tuning"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

No, that's not possible

I believe the newer Sigma lenses (those compatible with the USB dock) allow you to set specific focus adjustments for different focal lengths.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 22-Jan-14 01:04 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF fine tuning"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>No, that's not possible
>
>I believe the newer Sigma lenses (those compatible with the
>USB dock) allow you to set specific focus adjustments for
>different focal lengths.

They do, and it works like a charm. But one option for the Nikon user is to send it in, because the factory can probably adjust focus at various focal lengths.

I say this because Sigma can do it with the non-USB dock lenses.

I would send in the lens with a clear description of the behavior.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 17-Jan-14 05:03 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF fine tuning"
In response to Reply # 0

US

In my own personal experince with the 17-55 while experimenting with focus fine tuning I found that at the wide end this lens while fairly accurate, there was a significant difference in the precision when compared to the long end.

In general I found the accuracy to be acceptable and not in need of fine tuning on my D7000.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Wed 22-Jan-14 09:18 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF fine tuning"
In response to Reply # 2

Maidenhead, GB

Focus errors at the long end are much more noticeable because of the reduced DOF so it's better to fine tune there than at the wide end of a zoom.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32191 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.