Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32043
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?" Previous topic | Next topic
LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Sat 11-Jan-14 03:58 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"

Houston, Texas, US

That's an awesome feature! If it's accurate, I can leave the bubble level that mounts on the hot show at home. And I can see if the camera's level thru the viewfinder without using a tripod. Do you trust yours? I have shot many shots out of level when not using a tripod. I know you can straighten them, but then you lose the outer edges of the image.

Bill

**D7100** D300, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 Photomic, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN, and a few non Nikons

So many cameras, so little time....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100...
tekneektom Gold Member
11th Jan 2014
rb4good Silver Member
11th Jan 2014
shipsdrummer Silver Member
31st Jan 2014
quenton8 Silver Member
31st Jan 2014
LightMeter Silver Member
01st Feb 2014
quenton8 Silver Member
01st Feb 2014
jbloom Gold Member
11th Jan 2014
LightMeter Silver Member
12th Jan 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
12th Jan 2014
jbloom Gold Member
12th Jan 2014
jec6613 Silver Member
12th Jan 2014
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
31st Jan 2014
LightMeter Silver Member
01st Feb 2014
mdallie Silver Member
02nd Feb 2014

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 11-Jan-14 04:01 AM
1773 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I use Virtual Horizon constantly on my D800 and find it to be quite accurate. However, I realize that it may not be constantly as accurate as a bubble level on both the tripod and camera.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 11-Jan-14 11:23 AM
4173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

I wondered the same thing and so tested it out with my three way bubble with the camera tripod mounted and found that they concurred. I have the Fn button set to turn it on and have used it many times to check and correct my hand held shots.

Rick

shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Fri 31-Jan-14 01:49 AM
258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 2

Bob in New Orleans, US

Seems like a great idea. I just assigned my Fn button to do this as well. I love being able to see the level in the bottom of the viewfinder and make adjustments accordingly.

"Burn Slowly the Candle of Life"

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 31-Jan-14 09:44 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

>Seems like a great idea. I just assigned my Fn button to do
>this as well. I love being able to see the level in the
>bottom of the viewfinder and make adjustments accordingly.

Bottom of the viewfinder? am I missing something, I only see mine on my LCD???

>
>
>"Burn Slowly the Candle of Life"

----
Dennis Smith.

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Sat 01-Feb-14 02:07 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 10

Houston, Texas, US

>
>Bottom of the viewfinder? am I missing something, I only see
>mine on my LCD???
>

Yes. Page 254 in the owner's manual.

Bill

**D7100** D300, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 Photomic, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN, and a few non Nikons

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 01-Feb-14 12:38 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 11

Toronto, CA

>
>>
>>Bottom of the viewfinder? am I missing something, I only
>see
>>mine on my LCD???
>>
>
>Yes. Page 254 in the owner's manual.

Thanks -- I had missed that. Did not realize that there might be some functions buried in the assignment to buttons, I will have to look more now.

----
Dennis Smith.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 11-Jan-14 04:08 PM
6110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I use it hand-held, but when on a tripod I use a bubble level unless I have something else in the hot shoe.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Sun 12-Jan-14 04:05 AM
#4. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 3

Houston, Texas, US

Tomorrow when I have time I'll have to compare it to my bubble level.

Bill

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 12-Jan-14 04:17 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Yes, I do trust it. It's a small highly accurate accelerometer built into the system board, so it's actually calibrated to the sensor, just in case the sensor itself is slightly off-level.

Most spirit levels are orders of magnitude less accurate in their manufacturing tolerances.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 12-Jan-14 02:52 PM
6110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 5

Wethersfield, US

>Most spirit levels are orders of magnitude less accurate in
>their manufacturing tolerances.

But whatever accuracy the bubble level has remains the same even if the camera is pointed up or down. Plus I find it a lot more convenient.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 12-Jan-14 03:53 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 6

Norwalk, US

>>Most spirit levels are orders of magnitude less accurate
>in
>>their manufacturing tolerances.
>
>But whatever accuracy the bubble level has remains the same
>even if the camera is pointed up or down. Plus I find it a lot
>more convenient.

That's a display issue, not an issue with a built-in accelerometer. Of course, convenience is another story, entirely - and both are more than accurate enough for typical camera use.

Traveling Connecticut Nikonian

D7100 | 16-85 | 70-300 VR | 35 f/1.8 DX | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 (and other gear, too!)

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 31-Jan-14 03:50 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

To put it simply -- I love it! I have been afflicted by "chronic crooked horizon" for all of my years of photography, but this is the cure. I especially like it when using Live View on a tripod.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Sat 01-Feb-14 02:13 AM
#12. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 9

Houston, Texas, US

>To put it simply -- I love it! I have been afflicted by
>"chronic crooked horizon" for all of my years of
>photography, but this is the cure. I especially like it when
>using Live View on a tripod.

Yes I have chronic crooked horizon too. That's why I like to use a tripod and bubble level. Especially when shooting film, because there's no post processing with film. But with the virtual horizon in the viewfinder on the D7100, that just reduced the need for a tripod. However, looking at it can distract me from the subject and I could miss the moment.

Bill

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Sun 02-Feb-14 02:16 PM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Do you trust the virtual horizon level on the D7100?"
In response to Reply # 9

Novi, US

>To put it simply -- I love it! I have been afflicted by
>"chronic crooked horizon" for all of my years of
>photography, but this is the cure. I especially like it when
>using Live View on a tripod.
>
>Dave
>

I would concur. No matter how hard I try, I find almost impossible to shoot a straight shot without that virtual horizon.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #32043 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.