Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3201
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and the venerable Nikkor 500mm f/4 P IF-ED" Previous topic | Next topic
NY Jim Registered since 11th Feb 2009Sun 12-Dec-10 01:04 AM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and the venerable Nikkor 500mm f/4 P IF-ED"

Cortlandt Manor, US

Hi -- I just wanted to share my first-day experience with using the venerable Nikkor 500mm f/4 P IF-ED lens with the D7000. Not only does it meter nicely, but I can set the f-stop using the camera controls without touching the aperture ring on the lens. This was a nice surprise.

But the thing that made my eyes pop was the test shot of the US $20 bill from 15 feet away. If you click on the link below and then click on the link on that page that says, "A crop from a test shot of a $20 bill from 15 feet away with a Nikkor 500mm f/4 P IF-ED" you can see a piece of the test shot. Not only is it sharp as a tack, but I've done absolutely no post processing of this image. No sharpening! It's a JPG conversion of a crop from the RAW file right off the camera. Here is the link:

http://norwegianbachelorfarmers.com/D7000/

I had a hard time paying twice as much for a 20-year old lens than I paid for the new D7000, but this test shot convinced me that I made a good decision. I guess there is a reason that a used Nikkor costs more than new 3rd party lens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 12-Dec-10 11:47 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and the venerable Nikkor 500mm f/4 P IF-ED"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Very nice Jim. Good glass never goes out of style!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Tue 14-Dec-10 04:29 AM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and the venerable Nikkor 500mm f/4 P IF-ED"
In response to Reply # 1

San carlos, US

Holy smoke. And I was going to sell my 500F4P

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3201 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.