Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31754
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Bracketing" Previous topic | Next topic
MrDarkness Registered since 04th Dec 2013Sun 29-Dec-13 02:05 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Bracketing"

US

I'm out in the California Mojave desert, relatively new to digital and all but a stranger to my new D7100. It's an incredibly complex device.

I have it set to leave JPGs in slot A and RAW images in slot B, and to generate 5-exposure bracketed images at 1-stop intervals. Here's the thing: sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I have no idea why.

The only thing that comes to mind is that I've set it to make no exposure when AF fails to find a focus point, but that as a cause makes no sense. My shots are tripod-taken landscapes.

Any thoughts here?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Bracketing
jetkins Silver Member
29th Dec 2013
MrDarkness
29th Dec 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
30th Dec 2013
MrDarkness
30th Dec 2013
Kopperl Silver Member
12th May 2014
rb4good Silver Member
30th Dec 2013

jetkins Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Sun 29-Dec-13 06:16 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Bracketing"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, TX, US

Can you provide more detail of how you're using it? In single-release shutter mode, you will still have to depress the shutter button five times - the only time it will take more than one exposure with a single press in single-release mode is if you have activated HDR. If you're using Cl or Ch, then if you hold down the shutter release it should take five shots and stop.

MrDarkness Registered since 04th Dec 2013Sun 29-Dec-13 08:55 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Bracketing"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I have it set to single-release on the exterior dial, but mirror lock-up remote control in the shooter menu.

As I said, sometimes it works (gives all five exposures), sometimes it doesn't.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 30-Dec-13 02:46 AM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Bracketing"
In response to Reply # 2

jacksonville, US

what mode? if you have it in manual it won't bracket, I don't think

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MrDarkness Registered since 04th Dec 2013Mon 30-Dec-13 02:53 AM
#4. "RE: D7100 Bracketing"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Aperture priority. F8. I'm a landscape guy from way back. I know about diffraction, just don't know why this little beast decides—sometimes, not always—to not do what I've instructed it to do.

Kopperl Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 12-May-14 08:31 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 Bracketing"
In response to Reply # 1

Coral Springs, US

I'm new to bracketing. I'm going to Europe and what to take the best shots I can. Should I set it to 3 or 5 and what increment is best ? I assume I'll be shooting mostly outside daytime with WB at either sun or cloudy and using it in A setting, 17-55 lens.

Sid

Sid Kopperl

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 30-Dec-13 09:04 PM
4170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 Bracketing"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 30-Dec-13 09:05 PM by rb4good

Rocky Hill, US

Trace, if you are using the ML-L3 remote for your images(mirror up remote release), it will not take a sequence with one push of the shutter release button. The D7100 is great for bracketing. I shoot in manual(focus and all settings) and use the MC-DC2 wired remote($25.00). I have the release mode dial set to CH. After composing the scene go to Live View, the mirror will go up and stay up until you exit Live View, I now zoom in to what I am going to focus on, focus, hold down the shutter release button on the cable release until the number of shots has been taken, it will stop automatically this way. Exit Live View. Remember to shut off bracketing as it doesn't leave bracketing mode even if you turn the camera off. This is especially true when shooting different scenes and taking test shots.

Rick

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31754 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.