Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3175
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can I set FUNC for ISO control" Previous topic | Next topic
tdlnyc Registered since 22nd Apr 2009Sat 11-Dec-10 07:38 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can I set FUNC for ISO control"

Santa Barbara, US

I shoot in low light conditions, bands and concerts. I shoot with aperture priory with f/2.8 or f1.1 depending on the lens I am using. I also do not want to shoot below a speed of 1/125 so I keep cranking up my ISO to achieve that even if I have to go to 6400 0r 12000 ISO. It is a hassle adjusting my ISO quickly. I have been searching to see if I can set or do anything to make it easier to control and have easy access to setting my ISO; the menu does not appear that I can use the FUNC to set my ISO. Does anyone have any ideas or know how to solve this.
Thank you, Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control
caesarhernandez
11th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
11th Dec 2010
wedgehammer
11th Dec 2010
tdlnyc
11th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
11th Dec 2010
wmarson
12th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
12th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
12th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
12th Dec 2010
ConnorH
12th Dec 2010

caesarhernandez Registered since 04th Nov 2010Sat 11-Dec-10 09:05 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 0

CR

Why not simply use Auto ISO? I don't understand the problem!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 11-Dec-10 09:05 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

The most obvious solution would be to use the Auto ISO facility.

Select Aperture Priority and then you can specify the slowest shutter speed (1/125th in your example) and the maximum ISO you want to use (say 12,800). If the required shutter speed dropped below 1/125th, the camera would keep it there and raise the ISO from your base setting until it reached 12,800.

Auto ISO is explained on pages 103/104 of the D7000 manual.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

wedgehammer Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sat 11-Dec-10 10:21 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 11-Dec-10 10:23 PM by wedgehammer

SG

you can also enable Show ISO/Easy ISO, which lets you set ISO on the fly via the rear command dial:

CUSTOM SETTING MENU --> d Shooting/display -> d3 ISO display and adjustment --> Show ISO/Easy ISO --> OK

This also displays the ISO in the bottom right portion of the small LCD display above the rear command dial.

tdlnyc Registered since 22nd Apr 2009Sat 11-Dec-10 10:43 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 3

Santa Barbara, US

That will work for me, Thank you.
I use Auto ISO but with stage lighting I get bad readings and then blurry photos, things move very fast on stage.
I appreciate it your feedback.
Tom

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 11-Dec-10 11:09 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

>I use Auto ISO but with stage lighting I get bad readings and
>then blurry photos, things move very fast on stage.

I wouldn't give up that easily

If you're configuring the Auto ISO settings in the appropriate way, blurry photos should not happen. I use Auto ISO all the time when shooting theatre productions - exactly because the lighing is constantly changing. I generally set a minimum shutter speed of 1/200th and a maximum ISO of Hi-1 (this is with a D700, but the principle is the same). During a performance, the ISO can go range from 200 all the way up to 6400 or more, without me having to think about it.

In the example below, the camera had raised ISO to 4000 while keeping to my preferred minimum shutter speed of 1/200th...

If the lighting gets so dark that you can't avoid blur with Auto ISO, then you wouldn't really be able to find a better exposure combination by altering ISO manually.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

wmarson Registered since 17th Nov 2010Sun 12-Dec-10 12:15 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Brian ... is your goal always to attempt to take an indoor shot in the theater business w/o flash? Would you ever consider using the rear flash option on the D7000? If so, under what conditions would you start to consider popping up the flash? Thanks!

- Bill

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 12-Dec-10 08:30 AM
#9. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 12-Dec-10 08:37 AM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

Hi, Bill.

I hardly ever use flash when shooting stage plays and musicals "live" - i.e. during an actual dress rehearsal or performance. The production team will have put a lot of effort into designing their stage lighting, and flash pretty much overpowers the effect. Apart from that, the performers can find it distracting, and its use is usually ruled out by the director anyway. Lastly, setting WB for mixed flash and stage lighting can be tricky!

I much prefer to let the ISO range up to maximum and then have the shutter speed drop lower (which is what Auto ISO does), though at slower speeds I need to make sure I pick my moment to shoot when movement on stage is minimal.

If I do ever use flash (for example for posed on-stage stots during the interval), I use an SB-900 on-camera in its TTL-BL setting, and sometimes fit a filter over the flash head, to balance the illumination with the stage lighting as far as possible.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 12-Dec-10 03:17 AM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

Very cool picture.
What was the name of the production?

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 12-Dec-10 03:28 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

I liked it too, nice shot Brian!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 12-Dec-10 08:33 AM
#10. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

Thanks, guys

This was a local production of "Hot Mikado", which is a re-working of the original Mikado comic operetta by Gilbert and Sullivan. The costumes were wonderfully colourful!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ConnorH Registered since 04th Dec 2010Sun 12-Dec-10 12:15 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Can I set FUNC for ISO control"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

>I use Auto ISO but with stage lighting I get bad readings and then blurry photos, things move very fast on stage.

If you're getting blurry photos in crowded places it may also be a focus point problem. Are you shooting from the crowd, or do you have a clear view of the stage? Setting your camera to display focus points in image review can be a quick way of checking what your camera thought it was taking a picture of.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3175 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.