Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31677
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 AF Accuracy" Previous topic | Next topic
Wj9dwest Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Thu 26-Dec-13 11:48 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 AF Accuracy"

Scappoose, US

Finally got to shoot some wildlife with my new D7000. Got home & found the AF "missed" on about 25% of the shots on slow-moving, grazing deer. Looked at some shots from my F100 & had 1 "miss" in a 36-exposure roll. What gives? I thought this was supposed to be a step up? I'm afraid to pit it against my F4. Any ideas would be helpful. FWIW, I was shooting in P mode, auto ISO, & had set center-point AF. Thanks for any help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 AF Accuracy
agitater Gold Member
27th Dec 2013
torwood Silver Member
27th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
27th Dec 2013
Wj9dwest Silver Member
27th Dec 2013
jbloom Gold Member
27th Dec 2013
spyder08 Gold Member
27th Dec 2013
JosephK Silver Member
27th Dec 2013
rstcso Gold Member
27th Dec 2013
km6xz Moderator
27th Dec 2013

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 27-Dec-13 12:36 AM
3979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>Any ideas would be helpful.

Post one of the photos to illustrate what you're concerned about, otherwise we'll just be guessing.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Fri 27-Dec-13 03:33 AM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 1

Jefferson Hills, US

Without seeing an example, I'd venture two guesses:

1) The camera didn't miss,...you missed.

2) You did not give the camera time to lock on and acquire focus before firing the shutter.

Assuming number 1 is not the case, I'd opt for number two. I have a D7000, and I can tell you that you cannot simply point the focus point at a moving subject (slow or otherwise) and fire the shutter immediately, and get focused shots. The D7000 needs a second to pre-focus before you fire the shutter to acquire focus, especially in low light. I did an experiment with my D7000 and static subjects when I first got it (I also had maddeningly frustrating experiences with shots out of focus when I first got it).

I set the lens out of focus by a few feet, then put the center point on the subject and started firing in continuous mode. The subject did not come into perfect focus until the third or fourth frame. Results varied by a frame either way, depending on the lens (AFS lenses are faster to lock-on than old AFD's). I adjusted my technique to pre-focus, and give the camera a second to lock focus, before fully depressing the shutter. This solved the problem for all practical purposes. If it worked with basketball players, it should work with slow moving deer. That said, I was using shorter lenses than you probably are, so you may need even more time to acquire and lock-on.

One other thing: The F100 is a professional film camera, albeit with an old AF module. It was optimized for fast focus. If you go to the Sports Forum, you'll find out that the shooters there (for the most part) agree that the D7000 is not really a fast focusing camera, even when compared to the generation older D300. The 39 point amateur AF system in that camera is it's Achilles heel for action/moving subject photography. And, without pre-focus on moving subjects, the first frame is almost never in focus.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 27-Dec-13 08:23 AM
28755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

The D7000 does have a more complex AF system than the F4 and F100 - which means there are more options for you to choose from. One quite likely explanation is that you haven't yet found the optimum combination of AF settings for your subject.

As Howard says, post an example - with full EXIF data - and we'll be better placed to help

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Wj9dwest Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Fri 27-Dec-13 09:01 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 3

Scappoose, US

Thanks for the input. I think I've figured out the problem - Auto ISO sets the ISO for the prevailing light (duh!) which caused the shutter speed to be too low for even a slow-moving target at dusk. Looking at the photos closer, the deer were blurred, but the rest of the scene was in focus. Things worked better when I manually bumped ISO so I could get a higher shutter speed. Does anyone know if a D700 (FX) has a faster AF? Thanks for your help.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 27-Dec-13 12:07 PM
6144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 4

Wethersfield, US

You can also set the Auto ISO settings to enforce a minimum shutter speed. If you allow the ISO to go high enough, that will ensure that the ISO adjusts to just high enough to get the desired shutter speed. Or you could use S or M modes and just set the shutter speed yourself.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

spyder08 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2012Fri 27-Dec-13 02:07 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 6

Kenosha, US

I found that single point focus works much better for me. I also had a very hard time to get the D7000 to focus where I wanted it until using single point.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 27-Dec-13 08:51 PM
4188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

What was your previous AF configuration that was giving you problems?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

rstcso Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2013Fri 27-Dec-13 09:03 AM
773 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 27-Dec-13 09:08 AM by rstcso

Round Rock, US

I got my D7000 a couple of months ago. The speed and accuracy varies depending on which lens I'm using. The better the glass, the faster to focus, but are also more likely to be my shots not critically sharp. I have come to the conclusion I can't blame anything or anyone other than myself. The camera has its idiosyncrasies, and so do I. It's just taking a while for us to build a good working relationship.

Edit: Glad you found something to explain your issue. I don't know about the D700, but the D7100 is supposed to have a much better AF system than the D7000.

Regards,
Brent

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 27-Dec-13 08:56 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 AF Accuracy"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

The MultiCAM4800 is much maligned on forums but using it for a while I have not found a problem area that would not also cause a problem with my D800, which has a more sophisticated AF than the MultiCAM3500DX in the D7100. Blur is usually shutter speed related than AF not working effectively. The D7000 needs higher shutter speeds than one moving from a lower res camera to the D7000.
With all the options available, there is a higher probability of user error or selecting a less than optimum settings for the subject conditions.
There is a common belief that the number of FP's mean something in rating the quality and accuracy of the AF system. As if, due to having 51 points it is better than 39 or 21 or 11 points. Depends on the details but will all other points being equal a 51 point system will be slower because of the increased data processing time. That is why those shooting less predictable paths taken by fast objects is faster when selecting very few FP's to be evaluated.
Learning how the camera responds to different subjects, different contrast and edge characteristics, and colors is probably the more important element in whether AF works well. Most of us with D7000 had a learning period to get high keeper rates because it was an unknown. Reading the forums just after its release, you would see a major argument as to whether it was defective and thousands were returned because the owner jumped to a conclusion that a new model should respond exactly the same as their habits developed for their old camera. Same with the D800 and D90(which by the way was probably the most well sorted out camera Nikon has released in many years, with no updates or firmware bug fixes needed).
What is and is not a good focus target is a great thing to spend some time learning, it really help with giving a camera a chance to succeed.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31677 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.