Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3165
View in linear mode

Subject: "WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 11-Dec-10 05:10 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"

US

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/digitalslr/128760/1/nikon-d7000-review.html

VERDICT:
"The D7000 is an absolutely exceptional DSLR that, although categorised under Nikon's ‘consumer' bracket, offers a lot of pro-like specification..."

"The new 39-point AF system is fantastic, the images are of exceptional quality right into the high ISO setting and the only slight drawbacks are the relatively high price point, fairly shallow buffer for Raw shooting and slight overexposure in unexpected circumstances.

Otherwise the D7000 succeeds in carving out a new niche in the DSLR category and provides bags of power for the money."

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award
briantilley Moderator
11th Dec 2010
intrepidnz
11th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
12th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
12th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
12th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
Kale49 Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
epicdream Silver Member
12th Dec 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 11-Dec-10 05:34 PM
28333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Sounds good - thanks, Bill

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sat 11-Dec-10 11:27 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 1

NZ

That's more like it!

Far better than that other review that gave it 3 or 3.5 out of 5!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 12-Dec-10 12:08 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Interesting review with some valid points both pro and con, two points have me confused though:

"Fairly shallow buffer for Raw shooting"???

If shoots 14 bit RAW at over 2x the speed of the 300/300s. I suspect whoever wrote the review doesn't shoot DX very often and thinks the 300/300s fps applies from 14 bit RAW down.

"Relatively high price point"???

I actually thought Nikon undervalued the d7k. When you run down the features it is very reasonably priced.

Jason

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 12-Dec-10 12:39 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 3

Alberta, CA

I agree with you on price point, I consider the D7000 very good value I like this camera more and more everyday.

I agree with the reviewer about shallow RAW buffer size on the D7000. What he is saying is you can mash down the D300 shutter for longer and more frames as compared to the D7000.

I take your 12-bit/14-bit point, but the reality is I have had to adjust my mashing style on the D7000 and be more selective with holding the shutter down. Because it affects shooting style I think it is a fair point for the reviewer to make. In adjusting my style this is not necessarily a bad thing, I have to think and anticipate more, and really set my goal on capturing peak action. I have too many full hard drives as it is!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 12-Dec-10 08:41 AM
28333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

>"Relatively high price point"???

Bear in mind that in the UK (where this review was published), the D7000 is currently priced slightly higher than a new D300s.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 12-Dec-10 04:47 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

Here is Toronto though not listed at under the d7k price, you can easily snag a 300s for cheaper from the stores. MY dealer tells me the demand is pretty low for them right now which explains the nearly $400 price drop since the d7k was released.

If the d7k price point is relatively high because it is more than the d300s I still don't agree with the statement. Looking at the two cameras it is hard to come up with a case for the d300s as the better buy between the two, even costing slightly less, and I say that recognizing that the d300s is an outstanding stills camera. If nothing else you are paying for a practically unusable video feature as opposed to the d7k's much improved (though still not perfect) video. Then you start considering the ISO capabilities, DR, etc.

Jason

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 12-Dec-10 04:51 PM
#8. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

Maybe not everyone wants video...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 12-Dec-10 05:17 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>Maybe not everyone wants video...?

Video with a DSLR interests me not at all (though I may be missing out on this). In any event, give me a D300s and a D7000 for the same price, and I'll take the D7000 every time.

On the other hand, will most people notice the difference between what I took on my D200 and what I'm usually taking now? Probably not.

Cameras are just that good. If you can't get a good image with a D200, let alone a D300, then the D7000 won't help, and it could make things seem worse.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Kale49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 12-Dec-10 02:11 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 12-Dec-10 02:17 PM by Kale49

Espoo, FI

There is always a risk, when a new product is heavily hyped. We know it from best-seller books. When one has read it and written the critics, it´s over

What Digital Camera review is showing that D7000 is getting over the threshold. To me that is not a surprise. Day after day I´m more and more satisfied with my D7K. Of course, it takes time to learn its real capacity, behaviour and nature.

Here in Finland D7K price is generally a bit under D300s´s. In some stores they do have D300s offers which go under D7K.

The picture attached is a small piece of ice.

Kale S
Espoo, Finland

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

epicdream Silver Member Charter MemberSun 12-Dec-10 06:23 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: WHAT DIGITAL CAMERA (UK) Review in... Gold Award"
In response to Reply # 6

Cambridge, GB

Ice work!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3165 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.