Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?" Previous topic | Next topic
Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Mon 23-Dec-13 07:46 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"

LB

Hello There,

I came across this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs57G4XTZVE after I suspected that my Nikon D7000 has a focus issue, but Im still till now not sure if I do have a focus issue or not since Im somehow new to DSLR and im not sure if maybe I'm doing something wrong so Im ending up having not so focused photos. What do you think about the Nikon Focus issue? Is it a fact or a Myth?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?
briantilley Moderator
23rd Dec 2013
Gmoussayan
23rd Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
23rd Dec 2013
Gmoussayan
25th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
25th Dec 2013
Gmoussayan
06th Feb 2014
quenton8 Silver Member
06th Feb 2014
Gmoussayan
07th Feb 2014
Gmoussayan
07th Feb 2014
JosephK Silver Member
08th Feb 2014
jbloom Gold Member
08th Feb 2014
Chris Platt Silver Member
08th Feb 2014
jbloom Gold Member
09th Feb 2014
micro Silver Member
23rd Dec 2013
Gmoussayan
25th Dec 2013
rstcso Gold Member
23rd Dec 2013
Asgard Administrator
23rd Dec 2013
mbarnes
24th Dec 2013
Gmoussayan
25th Dec 2013
Gmoussayan
25th Dec 2013
km6xz Moderator
07th Feb 2014
CK Silver Member
07th Feb 2014

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 23-Dec-13 08:03 PM
28322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

> Is it a fact or a Myth?

Myth.

Some individual examples may have had focus issues, but there is no general AF problem with the D7000, nor is AF Fine Tune required in most cases.

If you were to post an example or two, with details of the camera and lens settings, we could help you understand what might be going on

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Mon 23-Dec-13 08:16 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 1

LB

I will be definitely posting some samples but I doubt it to be soon, but in all cases, I will back to this thread once I want to post the samples. The reason for im not posting them anytime soon is that Im still not sure of what and how "I have" to take my photos and what to expect as an output. If you can give me examples (for how and what to shoot?) and then we take it from there?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 23-Dec-13 09:12 PM
28322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>>If you can give me examples (for how and what to shoot?) and
>then we take it from there?

All we need to kick things off is one of your existing "not so focused" images - with its EXIF data.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Wed 25-Dec-13 09:32 AM
#8. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 6

LB

Ok, I will post some...(Next week most prob, since Im overloaded with Christmas and New Year's family gatherings and events). Merry Christmas by the way!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 25-Dec-13 10:41 AM
#12. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

Fine - whenever you're ready, we'll be here to help!

A Merry Christmas to you as well

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Thu 06-Feb-14 12:55 PM
#13. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 12

LB

Hey Paignton, Here's a photo (where I consider it as not that focused):

and here it's EXIF data:

Let me know if you need anything else.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 06-Feb-14 02:56 PM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 13

Toronto, CA

A few comments ...

• focus does not look all the bad ...
  • hand held at 1/6 sec will likely have some camera shake, actually for that speed it looks pretty good
  • ISO-800, although not all that high, might get a bit fuzzy -- your meta-data did not indicate if this was a jpeg out of the camera, or how much noise reduction might have been applied -- that will soften it a bit too

If you want a good test of focus, you want it either on a tripod or sitting on a flag surface, add a shutter delay of a couple of seconds, turn off VR, try for a higher shutter speed, say 1/250 or something like that, or add flash, use an ISO around 200. Not see what you get.

----
Dennis Smith.

Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Fri 07-Feb-14 09:37 AM
#15. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 14

LB

Thanks quenton, I will take your points into consideration and see the actual results. By the way, mine was jpeg out of the camera. Im not sure about the noise reduction value, I believe it's off in the camera settings (but im not sure). I will take a look and update accordingly.

Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Fri 07-Feb-14 08:43 PM
#18. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 15

LB

If you meant Long exp. NR by "how much noise reduction was applied" so yes, as I said earlier : ) it was off. I just turned it on in camera settings - shooting menu.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 08-Feb-14 12:28 AM
3727 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 13

Seattle, WA, US

You have a few things working against you here.
The shutter speed of 1/6 is too slow such that you will get motion blur from both your hands and the subjects.
The aperture of f/3.5 is not really small enough to get both the front and back lines of people in focus.

The big problem is your AF settings.
Focus Mode : AF-A
AF Area Mode : Auto-area
Phase Detect AF : On (39-point)
Primary AF Point : C3
AF Points Used : B3,C3,C5,C8,D3,E1,E2

Here you let the camera pick what it thought was a nice focus target instead of you picking the faces. The camera really liked that chrome door handle on the truck (D3). Assuming I am correctly estimating the focus point locations on the picture.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 08-Feb-14 12:05 PM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 19

Wethersfield, US

>Here you let the camera pick what it thought was a nice focus
>target instead of you picking the faces. The camera really
>liked that chrome door handle on the truck (D3). Assuming I
>am correctly estimating the focus point locations on the
>picture.

Actually, the AF system did exactly what it was asked to do. Here's what ViewNX 2 shows as the active focus points:

That looks fine to me.

As others have noted, the 1/6-second shutter speed is the culprit. During that time the subjects were moving. It's just that simple. The VR did a good job of controlling camera shake, as evidenced by objects such as the truck in the near background.

In short, the D7000 and 18-105 actually did a marvelous job with this image. It's just that Georges was asking it to do something that caused his subjects to blur. The possible fixes for that would have been:

1) Setting ISO higher. Going from the 800 that was used to, say, ISO 3200, would have bumped the shutter speed to 1/25. Still not super fast, but probably OK for subjects who are semi-posing.

2) Using a faster lens. Of course, this was shot at 18mm, so the faster-lens options are limited. A change in perspective might have been needed, altering the shot.

3) Using flash. But that would have killed the background, totally changing the feel of the shot.

All of which only goes to prove that in a difficult lighting situation, you have to know how to maximize your camera's performance and then accept the result. But the AF system worked just fine.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 08-Feb-14 11:16 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 20

Newburg, US

"3) Using flash. But that would have killed the background, totally changing the feel of the shot."

I'm not so sure about that - especially if ISO 3200 (1600 would probably have worked) was selected. Put the camera in manual, expose for that white canopy in the background - possibly with -1 and flash in TTL? I probably would have dialed down the flash a stop as well. Would have prevented any motion blur and provided better white balance throughout the image. The subjects are far warmer than the background. At ISO 3200 and full matrix, TTL BL might have just done the job?

Visit my gallery.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 09-Feb-14 12:41 AM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 21

Wethersfield, US

You can add some flash to the ambient, but you still have to make the ambient exposure work because you can't light up the distant background with the flash and wouldn't want to if you could. Any exposure that gets the background exposed with the ambient is going to also expose the subjects. Adding flash to that can't solve the subject motion problem.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Mon 23-Dec-13 08:23 PM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 0

walkertown, US

I had two focusing issues with my d-7000. the first one was me.This camera is much better at showing me my flaws than my older camera.My second issue was my lens which I sent in and got re-chipped to work properly with my new camera.I'm still working on the first issue.

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Wed 25-Dec-13 09:34 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 3

LB

I believe I have your first problem too. lol.

rstcso Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2013Mon 23-Dec-13 08:42 PM
595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 0

Round Rock, US

I concur with micro. I've had my D7000 for a few months and the capabilities of the camera are greater than my personal abilities. The more I learn the camera, the better I understand this.

If some of your pictures are sharp and some are not, most likely it's not the camera or lens. If handheld, even a slight movement during the shot can lead to focus issues. I suggest using a tripod and external shutter release while testing.

Thank you and best of luck,
Brent

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 23-Dec-13 08:53 PM
48540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Definitely a myth.

As Brian mentioned, upload some examples.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

mbarnes Registered since 04th Aug 2013Tue 24-Dec-13 11:40 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

>Definitely a myth.

I agree the problem is overstated and that the d7000 has excellent (auto) focussing abilities) however I did have a problem with mine, purchased in Feb 2013, in that intermittently auto focus would not work. I discovered the problem on a nikon training day - they do some excellent courses - which meant that the trainer and some very experienced camera users were able to check the usual suspect areas and confirm the existence of the problem. Significantly the problem was worse when long lenses were attached suggestion perhaps it was a lens connecting problem. The camera was sent back to Nikon for repair and returned to me with a note that the problem had been rectified.
My advice would be to take you camera to a recognised camera shop or camera club and have some experienced users look at it. Then, if the problem is confirmed send it back to Nikon

Michael
PS Christmas Wishes to you all

Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Wed 25-Dec-13 09:36 AM
#10. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 25-Dec-13 09:39 AM by Gmoussayan

LB

Im not sure. I will try to check with a nikon authorised guy and see. thx.

Gmoussayan Registered since 13th Dec 2013Wed 25-Dec-13 09:39 AM
#11. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 25-Dec-13 09:41 AM by Gmoussayan

LB

I will do @Asgard

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 07-Feb-14 02:03 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 11

St Petersburg, RU

I am amazed how "good" the image is. Very low light, very very slow shutter speed and a slow lens combine to make a night shot with ambient light that is almost impossible to get good results. First off, action hand held images are not going to look sharp with a D7000 slower than 1/125th of a second unless you have very steady holding technique. You needed more light and a shutter speed that fits the action. You have the built-in flash, but the people are probably too close to the flash to make it look good.
I learned very quickly when changing from D90 12mpx to the D7000 that my hand holding technique needed to be upgraded and/or the shutter speed increased. Most of my hand held people shots with the D7000 are at least 1/90 but more often twice that speed, or use flash.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Fri 07-Feb-14 08:02 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon D7000 Focus Issue - Myth or Fact?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

I agree with what's been said. And one other thing, at 1/6th second, your subjects are probably also moving a bit.
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31613 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.