Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #316
View in linear mode

Subject: "Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD" Previous topic | Next topic
lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Mon 20-Sep-10 02:19 AM
2412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"

Columbia, US

Unless it's redesigned, it seems as if the LCD in the 7000 is the same as the D300(s). Not that I really dislike my D300 screen, but I did think they'd have one with a higher pixel density, some type of anti-glare, and that it'd be redesigned to prevent dust from getting behind the glass. I sent my D300 in for cleaning because of the ridiculous amount of dust behind the glass, and it's there again. I live with it.

Perhaps that's one area that will be a step up with the D400?!

Despite the LCD, the D7000 seems like a great new model given the specs.

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD
km6xz Moderator
20th Sep 2010
lovemy8514 Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
JPJ Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
lovemy8514 Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
DVDMike Silver Member
20th Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
20th Sep 2010
Old Listener
22nd Sep 2010
lovemy8514 Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
tommiejeep Silver Member
21st Sep 2010
km6xz Moderator
22nd Sep 2010

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 20-Sep-10 06:33 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The tempered glass cover is bonded to the LCD, how is dirt getting between them? Sounds like a defective display and should be replaced. There should be no place for dirt to enter from.

The LCD on my D90, the same 930,000 pixel 3" assembly as on the D300 is one its best features...love it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Mon 20-Sep-10 12:07 PM
2412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 1

Columbia, US

Perhaps there are some defects out there. There's just enough space in-between the glass and LCD for dust to accumulate in at least a percentage. They replaced my original with a new one, and the replacement has quite a bit too.

A quick search on the net reveals quite a few people with the same issue. That's why I was hoping for a redesign on a newer body. Could be my kit 18-70mm that extends when it zooms? Of course, a few more pixels would be nice too, but certainly isn't necessary.

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Mon 20-Sep-10 01:14 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

Maybe they fixed it on the D90/300s? My D90 screen is also dust free.

Jason

p.s. I had thought the biggest complaint, especially from video and macro buffs was the lack of ability to articulate the screen.

lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Mon 20-Sep-10 02:55 PM
#4. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 3

Columbia, US

No worries. It'll be interesting to see if there are any differences between the D7000 and D90/300s screens as far as useability in bright light and colors. It's quite possible the D7000 shares the same screen as the other bodies, but I still hope there are subtle differences that improve upon an already good screen.

J a m e s
My Gallery

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Mon 20-Sep-10 03:38 PM
2184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 4

Metro Atlanta, US

The only issue that I have with the screen on my D3/D300/D90(sold now) is that does not articulate. I would get much more use out of Live View if the screen moved so that I could look down on it. But would I want this at the expense of the quality that I have in the screen today? I cannot answer this. I would like both in an ideal world. I guess when I first saw my D300's screen, I was so blown away by how huge of an improvement that it was over anything else out there, that I am still quite happy with its quality and do not expect a performance jump from the screen any time soon. Who has a better quality screen?

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 20-Sep-10 07:14 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

In really critical situations, shooting tethered would give a lot of benefits which is why it is so common in studio and macro work now, larger higher res display with calibrated screens.
I am pretty sure the majority of field photographers would prefer a solid display that was not the weak point of the camera, to an articulated display. I would probably not buy a camera that was so equipped so I am glad pro level cameras and better prosumer models do not have them, since it provides more choices for me.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Old Listener Registered since 09th Sep 2010Wed 22-Sep-10 05:29 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>I am pretty sure the majority of field photographers would
>prefer a solid display that was not the weak point of the
>camera, to an articulated display. I would probably not buy a
>camera that was so equipped so I am glad pro level cameras and
>better prosumer models do not have them, since it provides
>more choices for me.

I don't fit in your majority. I bought a D5000 for the articulated LCD. I use it for side-on shots of very low wildflowers.

I keep the LCD folded against the camera back with the screen facing in so there is less likelihood of scratching the screen. I've used th e camera for about 11,000 shots and a lot of trips in 16 months. So far, the LCD works just fine. And the D5000 is a honey!

I may buy a second DSLR soon for my wife to take wildflower and wildlife pictures when we are out together. (She uses a hand-me-down Panasonic FZ50 superzoom at present.) I'd prefer to get another camera with articulated screen but I may settle for a D7000.

Bill

lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Tue 21-Sep-10 02:00 AM
#7. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 5

Columbia, US

It's probably the last of the items Nikon is interested in upgrading since they did such a good job the first time. I do know that the Canon screens seem to be better in direct sunlight (having used them occasionally myself), and the newest Canon screens have better resolution.

This was one thing that prompted my post, but I was trying to not be specific. This is also why I would think that Nikon's upper models, including a D300s replacement, may have an even better screen than that of the D7000.

Time will tell.

J a m e s
My Gallery

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Tue 21-Sep-10 10:38 AM
4326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 1

Goa, IN

Stan, interesting about the bonded tempered glass. Definately not the case with the D700. Do you know if the bonding started with the D90/D300s? I have not had dust but moisture on the D700 and they will replace the glass not the entire unit. D3s?
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 22-Sep-10 07:49 AM
#10. "RE: Only one gripe about the new 7000...the LCD"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

All I can go by is the D90 since when I disassembled mine to install a mic/line in jack, the rear display was one unit which could not be separated. When I got a peek at the part list in the service manual it is listed as a single item.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #316 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.