Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31232
View in linear mode

Subject: "Third party battery grip for d7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Ferrari1 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2009Tue 10-Dec-13 12:17 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Third party battery grip for d7000"

Harrisburg, US

I'm thinking about getting a battery grip for my D7000. I'm seeing a bunch of third party versions for a third the price of the Nikon version. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Third party battery grip for d7000
s2sailorlis_nikon
10th Dec 2013
D7KRookie Silver Member
10th Dec 2013
Nick2013
14th Dec 2013
mitchamrumpus Silver Member
15th Dec 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th Dec 2013
briantilley Moderator
15th Dec 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th Dec 2013
Starrbrite
16th Dec 2013
torwood Silver Member
18th Dec 2013
harveyt Silver Member
18th Dec 2013

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Tue 10-Dec-13 07:55 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

use the search function, there was a very long thread on this that has all the information you need to know.

excuse typos...via iPad....

D7KRookie Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2011Tue 10-Dec-13 11:43 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Salem, US

I picked up a Vello brand grip used from a fellow Nikonian and it has worked very nicely. I like the additional size for handling the camera, but, I believe the additional battery is unnecessary since the D7000 batteries last so long. Others have commented on breaking the battery tray toggle, but I can't see that happening unless you are overly ham-fisted with it. One of the best bang for the buck accessories I have purchased. No complaints.

Ed

I apent most of my money on guns, cameras, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!

Nick2013 Registered since 21st Nov 2013Sat 14-Dec-13 05:17 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

IT

The one I have basically works fine.

1) It's a bit tricky to mount. Not a big deal but you can't just slap it on.

2) It seems to have a battery drain problem. If you leave the thing mounted it will drain both the in camera and grip battery.

So it's not perfect. If you have serious need for a grip I'd likely spend extra and get the Nikon. If you have only occasional need then I'd take the savings and go third party.

mitchamrumpus Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2013Sun 15-Dec-13 07:40 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

I bought one off ebay for $35 inc shipping... Took 2 weeks to arrive, was reasonably well packed... Have had it for 3 months now, use it for outdoor sports photos and occasional indoor sports, so gets handled quite a bit on the D7100.... I use a 70-200 2.8 Sigma lens, so a decent amount of weight on it and I clip a rapid strap via the tripod screw.

I agree you have to be careful with the battery cover lock/toggle, but otherwise been very happy with the quality and the savings!! And for me the extra battery is definitely a plus, I use continuous focus and am ususally out 3-4 hours in the field, so battery drain and hundreds of photos means I can keep going without worrying about power....

I want to spend my money on lens and other accessories wherevthere are no third party alternatives (cheap ones), so savings here count for me!

Made from 100% Recycled Electrons (anon)

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 15-Dec-13 04:48 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you want a genuine Nikon grip, I have a very gently used one which we might be able to come to terms on. I won't let it go for the cost of even a "pricey" knock-off, but I can try to make it attractive. Email me if interested.

Kent

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 15-Dec-13 04:57 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

We try to keep such thoughts out of these discussions; see our I Want to Sell Forums

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 15-Dec-13 05:27 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Sorry. Delete my post, and a similar one elsewhere on this forum.

Kent

Starrbrite Registered since 14th Dec 2013Mon 16-Dec-13 12:27 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I purchased a new Vello battery grip for my d7000 and could not be happier with it. It feels great on the camera and functions as expected. No problem using camera on tripod with the grip on. I appreciate that I have choice to use regular batteries in the grip, but have not tried it. The button on the grip in portrait mode is something I use often and appreciate. (Note: Hi, I am new to the Forum _

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Wed 18-Dec-13 10:55 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Jefferson Hills, US

B&H, which is about as reputable an internet seller as there is, treats the Vello products like a reputable line. There is a page for them in B&H's hard-copy catalog, and they are all over their website. This gives me a little more confidence in this third party seller than I would typically have. They aren't trying to hide it like some cheap Chinese piece of plastic knock-off.

There was a time I would never have considered putting a third party grip on a four-figure camera, but a friend of mine has been using a Vello grip on his D7000 for a year, and LOVES it. B&H is selling the Vello grip for the D7000 for about $69.00 (same as what they are discounting the D7100 grip to, right now). For that money, if it fails, you can buy a new one two more times for the price of one Nikon grip - and have a few bucks left over. So long as it doesn't fry the camera's electronics, it sounds like a great deal.

And, no,…I haven't heard any stories about these grips frying the electronics. What I don't know, is if everything functions exactly the same. I've heard stories in the past about command dials functioning backwards on some of the third party grips, but I can't say I've heard that about the Vello grip.

harveyt Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2012Wed 18-Dec-13 11:24 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Third party battery grip for d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro, US

My experience is actually with the D800 but I think this part might be relevant. I use the SpiderPro holster. It's great for hands-free walking, hiking with the camera on the hip. Very convenient to unholster, shoot and replace. I've read in other threads that the after market battery grips are not as solid. With the Nikon battery grip on my D800 and 2.8 glass attached, the weight hanging down is considerable. As I rest my hand on the camera I can feel the battery grip flexing slightly in rhythm to my steps. I would think that the less solid after market grips may not feel as secure.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31232 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.