Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3121
View in linear mode

Subject: "18-105VR: high pitch noise during AF?" Previous topic | Next topic
lemieszek Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Fri 10-Dec-10 10:11 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"18-105VR: high pitch noise during AF?"

BR

hi all,

I received my D7000 about a week ago and I couldn't be happier.

after a couple of days of use, though, my kit lens started making a distinct, high pitch noise when AFing. sounds a bit like the metallic noise an old hamster wheel would make when rolling (sorry, I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than that . it's not loud, but quite noticeable. the focus speed and accuracy isn't affected (as far as I can tell), but I'm slightly worried that this might mean an early breakdown some time. I also bought a nikkor 10-24 which doesn't make this kind of sound.

I once had the same thing with my olympus 12-60, but then I'd also get really noticeable front focusing. I had it serviced and they replaced the focusing motor.

anyone else experiencing this? more importantly, should I send it in as soon as I can or should I just wait a couple more months to see if it gets better or worse(since I still have several months of warranty left)?

thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 10-Dec-10 10:19 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 18-105VR: high pitch noise during AF?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

should I send
>it in as soon as I can or should I just wait a couple more
>months to see if it gets better or worse(since I still have
>several months of warranty left)?
>
>thanks.

I would take it back to where you bought it and try to swap out that lens. I don't own that one, but what you're describing doesn't sound good.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

lemieszek Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Fri 10-Dec-10 10:24 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 18-105VR: high pitch noise during AF?"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 10-Dec-10 10:25 PM by lemieszek

BR

>I would take it back to where you bought it and try to swap
>out that lens. I don't own that one, but what you're
>describing doesn't sound good.

even if I bought it in a kit with the d7000? swap the whole package?

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 10-Dec-10 10:51 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 18-105VR: high pitch noise during AF?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>>I would take it back to where you bought it and try to
>swap
>>out that lens. I don't own that one, but what you're
>>describing doesn't sound good.
>
>even if I bought it in a kit with the d7000? swap the whole
>package?

No, see if they can just swap the lens.

If they can't, then I guess Nikon is the one to arrange a warranty replacement... In any event, I'd keep the D7000 body you already have.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3121 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.