Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3113
View in linear mode

Subject: "VR problem on D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
rasworth Basic MemberFri 10-Dec-10 08:20 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"VR problem on D7000?"
Fri 10-Dec-10 08:22 PM by rasworth

Austin, US

This is very preliminary, and I plan to do more testing. I received my D7000 two days ago and have been very happy with the results except for an occasional not-so-sharp image. I believe I narrowed it down to VR operation, on two VR lenses, my 16-85VR and 55-200VR.

I perceive a vertical "jump" at slower (not extremely slow) shutter speeds, which is not there if I turn VR off. The four images I have attached were all shot at F11 and ISO 100, 1/100 ss on the 16-85VR and 1/125 on the 55-200VR. I have shot many more images, both with VR on and off, with consistent results. Again, fine detail in the image (look at the small bright sunlight reflections) is smeared primarily in the vertical dimension.

I still have my D300, and it does not exhibit this problem. At first I thought it might be lens whip, but it does not occur with VR off. Has anybody else observed a similar problem? Of course I may have a defective unit, so the next step is probably contacting Nikon.

Added by edit - In vertical sequence, the images are 100% crops

16-85VR @ 85mm VR on
16-85VR @ 85mm VR off
55-200VR @ 200mm VR on
55-200VR @ 200mm VR off

Richard Southworth

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: VR problem on D7000?
JosephK Silver Member
10th Dec 2010
rasworth
10th Dec 2010
kwb49 Silver Member
10th Dec 2010
rasworth
10th Dec 2010
rasworth
11th Dec 2010
dm1dave Administrator
11th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
10th Dec 2010
intrepidnz
11th Dec 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
11th Dec 2010

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 10-Dec-10 08:59 PM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Your shots definitely show a vertical movement problem.

Back to basics for a second: you are giving the VR 1/2 second at 1/2 press to settle down, right?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

rasworth Basic MemberFri 10-Dec-10 09:13 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

Austin, US

Yes, I tried long stabilization vs. short, single servo vs. continuous, etc., problem remains.

Richard Southworth

kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Fri 10-Dec-10 09:29 PM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

The first one I had did it also... no matter how long I waited. It also had focus issues. I took it back. I have had the second one for a week and haven't opened it yet as I am still not convinced it is the best thing to come from Nikon to date. Entirely too many negatives so far. I shoot tons of sports action, and I shoot JPEG. The only decent images I have seen to date out of a D7000 have all been RAW. I'm really not into that.

Keith

rasworth Basic MemberFri 10-Dec-10 09:53 PM
#4. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Austin, US

I shoot all raw, and I have had no focus issues. And my images have been very good. The only problem I've run into so far is the one I described.

I have evolved thru the D70/D200/D300 sequence, been doing this a long time. Except for this anomaly I consider the D7000 the all around best camera of the bunch.

Richard Southworth

rasworth Basic MemberSat 11-Dec-10 02:13 PM
#6. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Austin, US

After much more experimentation with a suitable target (see attached) I have come to the conclusion the problem is my fault, sort of.

It takes much longer (1-2 seconds?) for the vr to stabilize on the D700 compared to the D300, from a standing position. With a new target (see attached) and much patience I was able to obtain clean runs thru pretty much all shutter speeds, on both vr lenses.

I don’t know if it’s a different algorithm or difference in mass, but the image just dances around in the viewfinder for a LONG time and finally settles down. And if one waits long enough it will go thru the jiggle/settle down sequence again.

So at least for now the D7000 is back to being an all around great camera, certainly the most bang for the buck IMO.

Richard Southworth

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 11-Dec-10 03:56 PM
11302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

“It takes much longer (1-2 seconds?) for the vr to stabilize”

This can be an advantage of decoupling focusing from the shutter release. VR detects motion, so if your shutter release does not initiate focus then you can activate the VR, and allow it to settle, by just half pressing the shutter button. Then by the time you have composed and focused, using the AE-AL button the VR will be ready to shoot.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 10-Dec-10 09:55 PM
28746 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

>The only decent images I have seen to date out of a D7000
>have all been RAW.

Whilst I hesitate to recommend the author of this D7000 review (he is famous for shooting pretty much everything in JPEG... ) it does contain a few technically-decent, sharp and well-exposed shots.

If you are worried about focus and/or VR issues, there is absolutely no reason to believe these could be any better (or worse) shooting NEF's rather than JPEG's.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sat 11-Dec-10 04:39 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

Its intersting that you are getting vertical movement in the images when VR is turned on.

It would suggest that there might be a dirty contact, perhaps, in that feedback is not getting from the camera back to the lens?

Sounds like a camera problem if the contacts are fine.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 11-Dec-10 04:41 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: VR problem on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Thanks Richard,

This could be an important learning on the new machine. Coming as it was from you, you had me worried

I will definitely keep an eye out for this phenomenon.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #3113 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.