Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31103
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
donaldjledet Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2013Tue 03-Dec-13 09:02 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100"

Gretna, US

Is there a problem with camera? Turned camera on to upload photos to computer will not upload? Also I went to turn camera off and it stays on? So is there anybody elsewho has this problem with the D7100?
Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100
Bill Kennedy Gold Member
03rd Dec 2013
donaldjledet Silver Member
03rd Dec 2013
JosephK Silver Member
03rd Dec 2013
agitater Gold Member
03rd Dec 2013
03rd Dec 2013
agitater Gold Member
03rd Dec 2013
04th Dec 2013
agitater Gold Member
05th Dec 2013
km6xz Moderator
05th Dec 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
05th Dec 2013
05th Dec 2013

Bill Kennedy Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2013Tue 03-Dec-13 09:30 PM
352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 03-Dec-13 09:30 PM by Bill Kennedy

Christiansburg, US

Have you tried reseting the computer by pulling the battery out?

donaldjledet Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2013Tue 03-Dec-13 09:37 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Gretna, US

Yes I did. But my real concern is that the camera does not turn off unless you remove the battery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 03-Dec-13 09:37 PM
4097 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, WA, US

Bill probably means "reset the camera" by pulling out the battery.

In the long term the OP ought to get a card reader. They are faster and less hassle.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 03-Dec-13 10:48 PM
3955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 03-Dec-13 10:50 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

Sounds like a problem with the SD card.

Turn the camera off. Eject the SD card. Check to make sure the little locking tab is unlocked all the way. Put the card back in the camera. Turn the camera on. If the busy light comes on, you've probably got a bad card.

Turn the camera off and then eject the SD card again. Insert the SD card into an external card reader. If you don't have one (at least a USB 2.0 hi-speed card reader), it's a good idea to get one for much faster file transfers to your PC or Mac. If the card works (i.e., if you can see all the image files on the card and if they can all be copied from the card to your computer), the next obvious question is: did you previously format the SD card in the camera or in a card reader using your computer to do the format. The point is to always format an SD card with the camera in which the card is going to be used.

The cause of the problem could also be an SD card that is very, very slow. Older cards can't keep up with the large amounts of file data being generated by 24mp camera sensors. The cards can't store data very quickly. Sometimes the busy light stays on because the controller chip in some older cards doesn't respond correctly after a data write. The solution is to start using newer, faster SD cards, so it's a very good thing that they're so inexpensive these days.

Last but not least, is the USB cable fully seated in the camera port and in the computer port? If none of the other issues is causing the problem, an partially disconnected cable or a bad cable can often be the culprit.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

donaldjledet Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2013Tue 03-Dec-13 10:55 PM
#5. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

Gretna, US

OK Thanks for the answers.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 03-Dec-13 10:58 PM
3955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

Let us know what happens! Hope it's something simple.

My Nikonians Gallery

donaldjledet Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2013Wed 04-Dec-13 09:42 PM
#7. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 6

Gretna, US

Well photos uploaded when using card reader.
But won't upload from camera.
And it has uploaded either way before this time.
So I guess there is a problem with camera.
Thanks

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 05-Dec-13 01:16 AM
#8. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

Toronto, CA

It could still be a card/camera compatibility issue. I'd make sure the D7100 has the latest firmware, but I'd also first try a different brand of SD card in the camera.

My Nikonians Gallery

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 05-Dec-13 03:19 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

The camera never really turns off, the power switch turns it to sleep mode. It does not close down until it has finished its housekeeping duties of writing the the card or other items.
When the suggestion was to reset the camera I believe the posters were referring to two steps; take the battery out and leave it out overnight so it really eventually shuts off fully. Re-install the battery and do the two button reset as shown in the manual. I do not have a D7100 or manual so I do not know the page but it is in the index.
That is like doing a full reboot of a desktop computer and restoring factory defaults. Just to be sure it is not the card, leave the card out when doing this step to see if it turns on and off again.
If it still does not behave, than you might have a camera problem.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 05-Dec-13 06:15 PM
369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 9

jacksonville, US

in addition, you can try moving the sd card to slot 2.

donaldjledet Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2013Thu 05-Dec-13 11:27 PM
#11. "RE: D7100"
In response to Reply # 10

Gretna, US

OK Thanks Guys.
Will do those ideas ya'll came up with.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31103 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.