Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31057
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 back focus and firmware" Previous topic | Next topic
rnagel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2011Sun 01-Dec-13 11:28 PM
124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 back focus and firmware"

Mequon, US

Nikonians,

I bought my D7000 from Adorama in January as a refurb. I have 2500 plus or minus actuations on the camera. It appears to (or I appear to be) back-focusing a fair amount. I know this was prevalent from reading your forums and the auto focus system is somewhat complex for a relatively new photographer but is there an easy test to do? I have not upgraded firmware in a bit either and don't know what version firmware I have or how to update. Would a firmware update fix this if it is the camera? If it is the camera Id like to try to get it addressed before the one year mark is up if it is really under warranty.

Thanks guys,

Rich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 02-Dec-13 12:02 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 back focus and firmware"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

If there is a camera related focus problem, it should be consistent and reproducible. In what way do you mean "back-focusing a fair amount?

Is something behind a quality AF target always in better focus than the intended target or occasionally? If the AF system is misadjusted it would be unusual that any image would be in focus. If it is occasionally back or front focusing it is probably due to a setting being wrong or a technique that is the root cause.
Can you post an image file with the EXIF data intact that illustrates the problem you are seeing?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rnagel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2011Mon 02-Dec-13 02:14 AM
124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 back focus and firmware"
In response to Reply # 1

Mequon, US

Stan,

Thank you. I do appreciate your help and feedback.

It is likely user error but I want to confirm this before I start calling Nikon or Adorama. This does not sound consistent with the back-focusing issues of the early D7000 days does it? It has occurred mainly with prime lenses, a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and a Nikon 50mm F1.8G. It has been back focusing, never front focusing. This may help with what is going on. It has happened on portraits where the background is in focus and the subjects are not. I will see what I can post. I am reading extensively on the Autofocus systems to try to see where I may be going wrong. It is complex for someone without a ton of experience.

Does Nikon have a firmware update for user error?

Rich

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 02-Dec-13 10:27 AM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 back focus and firmware"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

Rich,

What you are describing (the background being in focus) is not typical of "back focusing." Back focusing is when the lens is focused slightly behind the subject but in front of the background. When the background is in focus, it suggests simply that the camera's chosen autofocus point is one that was on the background rather than the subject.

As you say, the AF system is somewhat complex, which is why more detail is needed to try to understand why this might be happening. Information such as:

- What AF mode, AF-S or AF-C?

- If AF-C, what AF-Area mode? (Single point, dynamic, etc.)

As Stan says, an example image with intact EXIF data would help.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #31057 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.