Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30982
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 still worth it?" Previous topic | Next topic
perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Thu 28-Nov-13 03:26 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 still worth it?"

N. Miami Beach, US

I was looking to upgrade my current D40 with a D7100. Then I received an email from Best Buy with an offer for a D7000 with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens for $800 (compared to $1400 for a similar kit with the D7100). I know the D7000 is no longer in production, and the D7100 is a superior camera, but for the price difference, I think it's hard to justify.

The question, I guess, is am I shooting myself in the foot by buying the D7000? I shoot mainly landscapes, family/people, and occasionally, wildlife. Not a pro by any means, but I guess a serious enthusiast.

I've bought the kit already, because I was afraid they were going to run out of stock, but I can return it within 15 days if I change my mind.

Your thoughts, advice, and recommendations are much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Enrique

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 still worth it?
jbloom Gold Member
28th Nov 2013
Bill Kennedy Gold Member
28th Nov 2013
perucho57
28th Nov 2013
km6xz Moderator
28th Nov 2013
perucho57
28th Nov 2013
d7000baslow
10th Dec 2013
rnagel Silver Member
10th Dec 2013
perucho57
10th Dec 2013
Hektor Platinum Member
11th Dec 2013
polarpics Gold Member
28th Nov 2013
perucho57
28th Nov 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
28th Nov 2013
rnagel Silver Member
30th Nov 2013
jbloom Gold Member
30th Nov 2013
Greenshirt Silver Member
01st Dec 2013
km6xz Moderator
05th Dec 2013
dclarhorn Moderator
01st Dec 2013
pgalligan
01st Dec 2013
perucho57
02nd Dec 2013
Utahn
05th Dec 2013
perucho57
05th Dec 2013
rstcso Gold Member
05th Dec 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 28-Nov-13 04:22 PM
6118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I have both a D7000 and a D7100. The one thing that the D7100 clearly outshines the D7000 for when in comes to still photography is action shooting, because the D7100 autofocus system is superior to that of the D7000 for moving subjects. Beyond that, though, there isn't all that much to choose between them. Yes, the D7100 lacks a low-pass filter and thus the out-of-camera shots are a bit sharper than the D7000, but it's not something you would notice at reasonable print sizes and can in any case be pretty well managed with sharpening during post processing.

So I agree that the current price difference between the two is hard to justify for most users. You have purchased an excellent camera. Enjoy it!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Bill Kennedy Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2013Thu 28-Nov-13 04:56 PM
362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 1

Christiansburg, US

Have both too, but for most people the difference is slight. I'd keep the D7000 as you got an unbelievable deal.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Thu 28-Nov-13 08:20 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 28-Nov-13 08:20 PM by perucho57

N. Miami Beach, US

Thank you Jon, Bill,

It's great to hear that from someone who has both cameras!

Regards,

Enrique

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 28-Nov-13 05:15 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Enrique, relax, you have a heck of a camera. The D7100 has some technical advantages but so does the D7000, the main one being the sensor is probably the quietest of any Dx camera which means at low ISO, the dynamic range of scenes captured is spectacular, more than you can see on your monitor or prints. That gives you more flexibility in post processing and tone mapping.
The D7100 does have the more sophisticated auto-focus system but the MultiCAM4800 is no slouch either. I mostly shoot people, portraiture, events, and landscape and never had any problem getting consistently very good AF performance. I am not shooting ice hokey at rink-side so nothing moving at normal human rates gives it problems. To optimize AF, fast lenses help a lot, in two senses of the word "fast", the photographic meaning of having a high degree of light gathering capability and the more common trait of being quick.
The kit lens is good on the latter but not so much on the former. The kit lens is an updated version of the very successful 18-105 which I always felt was the best kit lens offered by any brand. The 18-140 is even better.
If you shoot in low light, and do not use flash, getting at least one fast(in both meanings) non-zoom like the excellent $200 35mm 1.8 which can gather a great deal more light than a zoom.

Stick around the D7100/7000 forum here and you will pick up a lot of tips on how to get the most out of your excellent camera.
A lot of people are"upgrading" to higher end cameras from the D7000 which is too bad because in almost every case, the camera still exceeded the technique and skills of the user. A new model of anything comes out and a lot of people feel they have to switch cameras as if their camera is suddenly obsolete. It is not. It is capable of taking any photo seen on gallery walls or with blue ribbons in photo contests. So my suggestion is to stick with the D7000 for a long time since I believe familiarity with a camera trumps new features in almost every case.
Go out and take some interesting photos....
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Thu 28-Nov-13 08:25 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 3

N. Miami Beach, US

Thank you Stan,

I'm also upgrading to LR5 for PP, and I agree with you on the need for a fast lens. It's probably one of my next purchases (I have a couple of other zooms, up to 300mm, but none of them are very fast; I'll probably be looking 35mm 1.8 you mentioned, or the 50mm 1.8).

I'll definitely stick around this forum. Nothing better than learning from someone more experienced, and the one great thing about Nikonians is the willingness to share knowledge.

Regards,

Enrique

d7000baslow Registered since 31st Oct 2013Tue 10-Dec-13 03:37 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 3

Baslow, GB

I have recently purchased a used D7000 (only 2 years old and 5,000 actuations) in great condition. There were a few marks on the rubber grip but rubber protector spray that I use on my cars (sprayed onto a cloth then applied to the camera) brings the grip up like new.

That aside, I am still learning the ins and outs of the D7000 (I upgraded from the D70s) and wonder how useful the pre-set modes are (sports, still life, close-up, etc).

Does anyone use them much and, if so, do you find them better than using aperture or shutter priority, for example?

Also, I have been shooting in RAW but a lot of people tend to prefer high quality JPGs. I know about post-production benefits of RAW, but any comments would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Simon
Rural Derbyshire
UK

rnagel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2011Tue 10-Dec-13 04:40 PM
124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 19

Mequon, US

I don't use the presets but with the. D7k you can choose the role of your memory cards. For example I shoot high quality JPEG on one and store my raw files on the other.
Enjoy your new camera.
Rich

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Tue 10-Dec-13 05:32 PM
#21. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 19

N. Miami Beach, US

I've never used the preset modes in any of my cameras. I much prefer the control of A, S, and M modes.

As far as jpeg vs RAW, I used to shoot jpeg until not long ago, but have come to appreciate the advantages of RAW, especially in conjunction with Lightroom (not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination!).

Regards,

Enrique

Hektor Platinum Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008Wed 11-Dec-13 12:17 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Stan:

You are very right. I have the D7000 and I decided to upgrade to the 71000, which is on its way. However, I changed my mind for the reasons you stated. It was an unnecessary upgrade, imho. I'm going to send it back by refusing shipment and I already have the RMA number. The 7000, is more that I need.

Best regards,

Hektor

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

How many lenses do you need? - Just one more!

polarpics Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2013Thu 28-Nov-13 07:51 PM
232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ontario, CA

I can't add anything beyond what Stan has said so well but I just returned from a day of shooting landscapes (snowscapes) with my new to me D7000 and the kit FX lens 24/85mm and am very pleased. This D7000 body will co-exist very nicely with my D600 in my bag. Enjoy your new camera.

Bill

Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering.

perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Thu 28-Nov-13 08:27 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 4

N. Miami Beach, US

Thank you Bill,

No snowscapes in my near future, but I look forward to my next trip the Everglades or the Keys...

Regards,

Enrique

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Thu 28-Nov-13 11:47 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

There's more than one very serious shooter who has rejected the 7100 in favor of the 7000. The 7000 is capable of producing great images. For my style of shooting, if I had to choose between them, having used both quite a bit and leaving video out of the question, I'd go with the 7000. I think the low light performance and higher ISO performance of the 7000 is a bit better. Since 95% of my photos are shot at f/2.8, that's important.

rnagel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2011Sat 30-Nov-13 01:43 PM
124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 8

Mequon, US

So many great points here. I have a D7000 that I bought refurbished last year and I only have 2500 actuations on it. (planning on a lot more shooting this year) I was looking at good walk around lenses and heard good things about the 18-140vr. When I saw that Best Buy had the deal I bought it as well, 799.00 for body (new) and lens. Does it make sense to keep two bodies? It would be convenient for grabbing a body with the 70-200 attached vs. changing lenses all the time and the lens itself retails for 596.00. As was indicated in a prior post often times cameras are ahead of the skill set of the owner and I am just now becoming more comfortable with this very capable camera although I am FAR from any sort of mastery. What's your vote, keep the second body or sell? From the way I look at this if I paid retail for the lens alone I would be getting the camera body for 200 plus tax. (I'm looking for justification for buying a bunch of lenses and camera stuff I guess) I suppose I could sell the body and look toward a purchase of a D7100 later after I become more comfortable with the functionality of this camera.

I enjoy this site and I thank you all for your input.

Rich

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 30-Nov-13 02:42 PM
6118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 9

Wethersfield, US

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to keep the second body unless you are shooting events where you need to quickly switch from one lens to another or just want to have a back-up for that once-in-a-lifetime trip. But it comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you have other camera needs (or wants!) that can be fulfilled if you sell one of the bodies, I can sure see why that would make sense.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Greenshirt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2013Sun 01-Dec-13 03:27 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 10

Owasso, US

Funny...setting here almost at Christmas and mulling over what to buy....New 7100 (to replace my 7000)or Sigmas 70-200 2.8. After reading these threads I think the new Sigma is in order. Sometimes it helps to remember what a great camera the 7000 is when you think you NEED the newer model. Love this forum.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 05-Dec-13 03:08 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 11

St Petersburg, RU

Dick, if your main subjects are portraits, the Sigma you have is very good for 3/4 or head and shoulder but wait until you get that 70-200, the compression effect and excellent isolation will really please you. I have a number of portrait lenses, the Sigma 50 1.4, the Nikon 50 1.2, 85 1.4 etc, all good glass but there is something about the longer focal length of the 70-200 in the 90-200 range that produces a different and very flattering effect. I would say you made the right choice, with a longer do-anything lens instead of a new body.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sun 01-Dec-13 07:18 PM
14234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Well, I get paid to do weddings and other events, and I have used the D7000 without hesitation. While newer cameras come out with improvements in certain areas, it does not mean that current cameras can't still produce top-notch results (in the right hands of course--and that goes for new and older cameras). As an enthusiast, the D7000 will be more than enough. Remember that not so long ago, these older models WERE the state-of-the-art choices for photographers. Relax and enjoy your terrific camera.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

pgalligan Registered since 11th Dec 2012Sun 01-Dec-13 11:21 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 12

AU

I upgraded from a D70s to the D7000 about 2 weeks before the D7100 was announced. I knew it was coming and I'm sure I would like the better AF system but the D7000 is a fantastic upgrade from what I had (and your D40). Unless you think you really need the better AF (and considering some of the action shots I've gotten with the D7000, I doubt it) or any of the other better features, think about spending the difference an another lens. You could get the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 for example

perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Mon 02-Dec-13 03:32 AM
#14. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

N. Miami Beach, US

I just wanted to reiterate my thanks to everyone who chimed in. I should be getting the camera in a couple of days, and look forward to using it and participating here.

Regards,

Enrique

Utahn Registered since 04th Dec 2013Thu 05-Dec-13 02:24 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thank you for posting this, my new D7000 arrived today. For $150 more than I planned to spend on a refurbished model I ended up with a new body and a new lens.

perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Thu 05-Dec-13 12:52 PM
#16. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 15

N. Miami Beach, US

I also got mine last night. Looking forward to setting it up and start using it.

rstcso Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2013Thu 05-Dec-13 01:27 PM
770 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 still worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Round Rock, US

Take the money you didn't spend on the D7100, put it toward a lens to complement the kit (hint: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8), and never look back!

I hope you have as much fun with your D7000 as I am mine.

Brent

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30982 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.