Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30892
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem for a new user of D 7100" Previous topic | Next topic
thekeyisfrank Registered since 14th Nov 2013Sat 23-Nov-13 08:51 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem for a new user of D 7100"

DK

When I have made a shot it takes several seconds before the camera are ready for a new shot.
There is a green light flashing.
I have an idea of it could be some automatic noise reduction the camera made. I do not know if it is right and if it is - where can I shot this option off

Thanks in advance for any hint

Frank

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100
hijazist Silver Member
23rd Nov 2013
thekeyisfrank
23rd Nov 2013
Asgard Administrator
23rd Nov 2013
goodguy
24th Nov 2013
Giltic
24th Nov 2013
LeslieTroyer Silver Member
24th Nov 2013
stash Gold Member
25th Nov 2013
Propjob Silver Member
28th Nov 2013
km6xz Moderator
28th Nov 2013
Franklin43 Gold Member
29th Nov 2013
Nikon 7100 Silver Member
29th Nov 2013
Franklin43 Gold Member
29th Nov 2013
Sixmileman
29th Nov 2013
agitater Gold Member
29th Nov 2013
Franklin43 Gold Member
29th Nov 2013
NDGraham Silver Member
01st Dec 2013
Sixmileman
01st Dec 2013
Daveecopping Silver Member
02nd Dec 2013
Franklin43 Gold Member
02nd Dec 2013
jbloom Gold Member
02nd Dec 2013

hijazist Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Sat 23-Nov-13 09:07 PM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

Were you taking a long exposure? To turn NR off go to the Shooting menu and turn off 'Long Exposure NR'.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

thekeyisfrank Registered since 14th Nov 2013Sat 23-Nov-13 10:38 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 1

DK

Thanks for your quick reply - but I am afraid this not solve my problem I have "Long Exposure" turned off.
Anyway - I have as a new user go through the manual to learn the camera.
But thanks for your answer anyway

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 23-Nov-13 10:45 PM
50263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Have you turned on Day-Lighting ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

goodguy Registered since 01st Sep 2013Sun 24-Nov-13 01:38 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Weird, I never experienced that, maybe your SD card is faulty ?

Giltic Registered since 11th Nov 2013Sun 24-Nov-13 09:45 AM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 4

SI

I would say that it has to be something about the writing speed from the buffer to the SD card.
It also could be that the camera is processing the image.
Try to shoot jpeg with lowest quality. If this still happens then it is something about the SD card.

Best regards;

LeslieTroyer Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2013Sun 24-Nov-13 01:56 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

Format the card in the camera. Also be sure it is rated class 10 at a minimum. I like 45 mb/sec and faster.

stash Gold Member Charter MemberMon 25-Nov-13 09:28 AM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 6

Auburn, US

Perhaps you are writing Fine Jpg's AND NEF's?

Thanks

Stan

Propjob Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009Thu 28-Nov-13 10:25 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 7

Rochester, US

I find that lower speed Sd cards give the same symptoms. Perhaps you need to invest in some fast cards

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 28-Nov-13 06:43 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The Green Memory Activity light flashing occurs when writing to the card. If transfers are taking several seconds, even when the buffer is empty, it means the card is really slow in accepting data. The D7100's 24mpx files are very large and demand fast cards, it is moving a lot of data compared to the lower resolution cameras.

Get at least one fast card to test it with. Be aware that some discounted cards are not what the label claims, counterfeit cards, where much less valuable slower cards are relabeled to sell for $20-50 more. A 6-10mpx camera would never notice a Class 4 card labeled as a Class 10 but that would cause your camera to slow to a crawl.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Franklin43 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2013Fri 29-Nov-13 01:07 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 9

Novi, US

This happened to me! I now only buy cards at a local camera store or reputable on line sellers.

Frank

Learning something new every day...

Nikon 7100 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2013Fri 29-Nov-13 02:57 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 10

Copenhagen, DK

>This happened to me! I now only buy cards at a local camera
>store or reputable on line sellers.
>
>
>Frank
>
>Learning something new every day...
You are right Franklin43 - I am also learning new every day. But you see, when I bought the two cards together with the camera, I bought it from a proffesionel camera shop. An the clerk told me that these cards were some of the best !
Morale : Do not trust on the sellers - or what !

Franklin43 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2013Fri 29-Nov-13 03:49 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 11

Novi, US

The shop (shoppe) that I purchase my equipment from is run by pros that also teach classes on various types of photography. They show you how to use your purchase and test it to make sure it works well before you leave. If you prefer not to "test" your purchase there they have a 15 day return policy. What amazes me is that they match legitimate on line prices. I have dealt with the top on-line sellers in the past and have never had a problem. The only "misrepresentation" I encountered was on a "great" card buy from a seller that I did not know and an on-line bate and switch company.

The cost and time of sending the cards back...I just used them in my wife's point and shoot. The camera equipment; I caught the "misrepresentation" in time, after a few telephone calls to Visa, the conman and checking with the fraud division of the State of California...I got a full refund from closeoutdigital.com. I would not, under any circumstances, buy anything from Closeout Digital.

Now; it is either my local store, eBay or the "good" on-line sellers. If, in fact, you did get a mislabeled card the seller should be willing to exchange it for the correct one and deal with whom ever sold it to them. If it is just to "slow" and you relied on their advice, they should also be willing to make the exchange. If not, I would never deal with them again.

So sorry, Frank

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Fri 29-Nov-13 04:16 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Try SanDisk Extreme Pro Class 10 Cards with a rated write speed of 95 MB/s. In addition you need to shut off in-camera functions such as Noise Reduction, etc.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 29-Nov-13 04:25 PM
3979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 29-Nov-13 04:26 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

I think the lesson learned has nothing to do with the general honesty or lack of knowledge of any particular store retailer than it does with consumers (that's us) learning about the rated write speed of a specific SD or CF card being considered. As Stan mentioned, a 24mp DX camera writes big NEF files to the card, so it makes sense that an SD card rated for 45MB per second write speed is usually the minimum that should be considered. Slightely slower cards (e.g., 30MB per second write speed) can also work well as long as they're in the faster class of cards.

Also . . . stop listening to retailers and anecdotal information about what SD cards work best. Instead, go to the SanDisk, Lexar and Integral web sites and read their ratings. Go to the Rob Galbraith card comparison database (which is still relatively current) to compare various brands and models of cards and to get an objective reading of the differences between different classes and types of cards.

For what it's worth, since moving up to the D7100 and D800, I use only SanDisk Extreme Pro SD and CF cards. Best speed and reliability for the money, IMO. No write delays or waits of any significance - at least nothing that stops my photography.

Do not buy top-rated, name brand SD cards from online discounters because the chance that you'll end up receiving an order of counterfeit cards is too high. Unusually low pricing for a top-rated SanDisk or Lexar SD card usually means counterfeit. There is no secret sauce that only online discounters possess which can allow them, magically, to undersell Berger Bros or B&H or Henry's or Vistek or Adorama or Jessops (or any other recognized major retailer) on real, fast, top-rated SanDisk or Lexar SD cards. Believing otherwise is, I think, a mistake. It's the crazy/screwball retail season in Canada and the U.S. right now - U.S. Thanksgiving, Black Friday shopping, Christmas retail season, blah, blah, blah. Consumers be warned!

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Franklin43 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2013Fri 29-Nov-13 07:44 PM
#15. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri 29-Nov-13 07:47 PM by Franklin43

Novi, US

I 100% agree with your post! The relabeled disks that I got were Sandisk and I reported the seller to them.

Frank

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Sun 01-Dec-13 08:05 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Hi Frank,

I can understand your concern. I have been into digital photography for 10 years and Nikon equipement for about 8 years. I have learned to use the little green light you mention to avoid losing my shots!

Since I started using my D7100 in August, I had to get used to that little green light going out before doing anything else with the camera like turning it off. I missed a couple of shots by turning it off too soon before the green light went out.

I am using SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC, UHS-1 45 B/s cards for still shots. These are fast, reliable cards that are usually recommended for video. Even they need time to finish processing the 24MB files that our D7100s make in NEF format.

So there is probably nothing wrong with your D7100.

Happy snapping.

Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Sun 01-Dec-13 08:39 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 16

US

The SanDisk 95 MB/s will make for even faster data transfer.

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Mon 02-Dec-13 01:54 PM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 17

Polegate, GB

I hope not to complicate this interesting thread, but if the card in slot 1 is for RAW and the card in slot 2 is for JPEG, will the write time be doubled?

Cheers,

Dave

Franklin43 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2013Mon 02-Dec-13 04:48 PM
#19. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 18

Novi, US

I have not found this a problem with the newer fast cards.
Franm

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 02-Dec-13 06:27 PM
6135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Problem for a new user of D 7100"
In response to Reply # 18

Wethersfield, US

It wont double it because the JPEGs are substantially smaller than the RAW files, but it will slow things down some compared to shooting just RAW. It doesn't seem to matter whether you write the JPEGs to card 1 or to card 2 as far as speed is concerned.

Things will slow down even more if you shoot RAW with card 2 set to "Backup".

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #30892 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.